Front 8 lug dana 70's- any DIY disc brake conversions?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Front 8 lug dana 70's- any DIY disc brake conversions?

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

So as many of you saw in the photo gallery I recently picked up a '69 W300. At some point the truck was the recipient of a 4 wheel disc brake conversion. The rear was done correctly with aftermarket bolt-on brackets, but the front... Well, lets just say it leaves A LOT to be desired. Whoever did it hacked up the backing plates, turning them into caliper brackets. That didn't pan out so well:
0321131854.jpg
Yeah, they're cracked to pieces.

Whoever did the conversion used Chevy K20 rotors and calipers- which, from what I've read, are pretty much a standard in disc brake conversions. Unfortunately, dana 70's have giant knuckles, which interfere with most single-piston calipers (such as the Chevy K20 units). Most people see this and throw in the towel. Apparently some people pick up an angle grinder and go for the gold:
0321131856.jpg
Note how the ground area looks funny in the middle- a peek from inside the knuckle explains why:
0321131912.jpg
"Oh no! I ground a hole in the knuckle! Better patch it with some sheet metal, sheet metal screws and silicone!" :banghead :banghead :banghead

Anyways, it's mildly obvious the front brakes need some re-engineering :pale . I've been doing quite a bit of reading about dana 70 disc brake conversions, and there's a lot of people asking, but very few solutions. One that I did see is: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/show ... hp?t=26724 . Looks like a somewhat decent option, given that my hubs have those same rotors already on it. I swung by a local wrecking yard today and grabbed a pair of those same calipers (complete and loaded) for $15, so I've got the pieces to do it that way if I so choose. The only change I'd make is using 3/8 plate for the caliper bracket. Otherwise I won't even attempt it.

In my reading, I ran across these guys: http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/index25.html . A call to them today revealed that they've actually built a disc brake conversion for a Dodge 70F about 5 years ago. According to the guy I spoke to, the kit used off the shelf OEM rotors and calipers readily available at napa, with a fabricated caliper bracket. He said the kit required machining the wheel hub down a bit, but no cutting or grinding on the rotor, caliper, or knuckles. At $535, I think the kit is a decent deal, BUT, I have to pull at least one of my knuckle/spindle/hub assemblies and ship to Spokane so he can double check everything. It mainly boils down to the fact that I'm cheap, and that I have the tools and knowledge to make the caliper bracket myself. What I don't know is which caliper and rotor would work for this to all go smoothly together.

So the question is has anyone here done an 8 lug 70F disc conversion themselves? And if so, how did YOU do it?

I know buying a 60 front would solve my brake issues (as well as give me a stronger axles and tighter turning radius), but for my intents and purposes the strength and turning radius of the 70 are fine. Having to re-gear a 60F to match the rear axle's 5.86 gearing is another cost I don't want to incur, either.

Your comments/ ideas are greatly appreciated!

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Re: Front 8 lug dana 70's- any DIY disc brake conversions?

Post by jimmy »

I've seen trucks that Blackbirds has built. He does a nice job. Works on everything buy mostly Chevys. I bought DOM tubing for my drag link and the Weld -in Ends.
The only guy in town that had the stuff. I'm kicking my self for not upgrading to his rear disc set up on my D70 rear. at the time I thought I was saving money on rebuilding the drums but now on my second set of drums. Doh.

I'm glad to help out any way I can. His shop is only minutes away from were I work.

:2cents
I would go with the D60 then change gears, Part are over the counter, easzy to work on, I know that is more costly up front but I beilieve in the long run you'll be money ahead.
maybe I should ask how the King pins are? Seals? Gears? Hubs? You know what I'm getting at. Speaking from experiance, everytime I don''t do it right the first time, it ends up biting me.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Rob,
A fellow member here [Glen] who goes by Pfury369 came up with a decent
front disc set up. I'll see if I can post up a pic of them for you. :salut :Thumbsup
John

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Hey Jimmy! Thanks a bunch for the offer! The 70 itself is in pretty good shape over all- it appears as though it was gone through somewhat recently as the king pins etc. are good and tight, and the inside of the knuckles look as though they've been hot-tanked and everything has new grease in it. Even the bearing retainer nuts have been upgraded to the newer nylock style with stab-in keeper (which I believe your rear 70 has).

Overall, I know the 60 is hands down a better axle, but at this point I don't really want to fork out the cash to buy one for this truck. My '67 W200 has been in the midst of a Cummins conversion for a few years now, and it I were going to buy a 60, I'd have to put it under the front of that truck- that's my real priority LOL. I just have this problem with buying and dragging home all the other trucks that pop up and catch my eye, and that project keeps getting pushed back.
Hobcobble wrote:Rob,
A fellow member here [Glen] who goes by Pfury369 came up with a decent
front disc set up. I'll see if I can post up a pic of them for you. :salut :Thumbsup
John
John- that sounds great!!! I did some more research last night and I'm liking the looks of the '95-'97 Ford F250/E250 rotors and calipers- looks like they might clear the knuckles a bit better than the '76 Ford Calipers. I'd love to hear/see what Glen came up with, though! Thanks!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

DSCF0700.JPG
DSCF0701.JPG
DSCF0699.JPG
Glen's truck is sporting 6 lug axles but I don't see
why you couldn't do the same with your 8 lug hubs.
These will slide right onto his stock axle, as I recall.
John

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Hey John- thanks a bunch for the pics! That's a clean looking setup he has going- looks a lot like the Ugly Truckling stuff. I see Glen's getting off easy- he's working on a dually truck :lol: ! Unfortunately the single rear trucks (like my currently beast of burden, hahaha) have slightly less space between the knuckle and the back of the wheel to stuff the rotor and caliper. Seeing the K20 caliper in use here as well does offer me a little comfort!

On a similar note, I did the front brakes on the '97 Power Stroke at work today, so I got a first-hand look at how the '95-'97 F250/E250 calipers I've been eyeballing work. I made sure and take a few measurements and a note or two for later comparison. Definitely a straightforward setup, one which I think could be a killer setup if space allows.

In the meantime, keep the comments, pics, and suggestions coming- I certainly appreciate 'em! :Thumbsup

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

I had a 97' Power stroke F350 4x4 Crewcab single wheel i sold it to build my sweptline crew cab. It was best rig I've ever owned! I loved the brakes. The calipers are duel piston as I recall. Mine had rear drums. The fronts were costly but worth it.