71 Fargo W300

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
timthebuilderman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Maple Ridge BC
State: Foreign

71 Fargo W300

Post by timthebuilderman »

Hi there,
I am looking for info on a 1971 Fargo W300. Does anyone know how rare this truck is? I have only seen one and it is the one that I own. It also has on the option tag "DISC WHEEL". Are these the 19.5" or?? and if they are the 19.5" are there identifying numbers on them to confirm that they are original.
I have swapped a 92 Cummins into this truck and didn't cut anything. No intercooler though and 2WD Getrag transmission with a custom driveshaft to the NP205. The radiator is from a PD500 and is recored and has the necks moved to fit the Cummins. I still need to figure out the fan. There is room between the engine and radiator but the blades of the Cummins fan will hit the upper tank.
Thanks,
Tim
Picture 045.jpg
Attachments
Picture 039.jpg
Picture.jpg

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Re: 71 Fargo W300

Post by dodgeboykim »

Up in our area that is a rare truck for sure. B C Hydro at one time used lots of W300 trucks but were Cab and Chassis trucks. Used to be a flat black 69/71 W300 with the box running a 392 Hemi with dual 4"s on propane. And it had the earlier 4 headlight nose on it.

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

I know nothing about your truck except that it is bad @#% and very cool! And Welcome!
jim

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Awesome truck Tim! :welcome to the site! That is a rare truck you have there but once they are customized they tend to lose their "rare" value. No harm though, that powerplant is a great choice. Search the forum is want to see how others worked out the fan and intercooler.

timthebuilderman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Maple Ridge BC

Post by timthebuilderman »

I have not cut ANY part of the truck to install the engine. I opted out of the intercooler because of the destruction it would cause and it really is not needed. The truck can be put back to original very easily. I'm picky that way. The fan will be easy to solve by going electric or choosing the right fan and support combo.

I'm glad you like it.

gyman98
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Saskatchewan

Post by gyman98 »

Awesome truck! How did you do the motor mounts? Have you thought about a pusher fan on th front of the rad? Be cool as well as others make lots of stuff that can help you

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Post by DukePW »

Sorry I can't answer your question either. I did contact Chrysler Canada a couple years ago to get the production numbers for my year and model ('67 W100). They actually got back to me and said that 92 were W100's were made, 50 V8's and 42 slant six's, they never broke down the numbers any further then that back then. Talking to my father who worked at the Fargo plant, they seemed to make higher numbers of heavier duty trucks in that plant. However keep in mind by '71 that design was getting a little long in the tooth so maybe numbers trailed off that year? I'm sure its a rare beast

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

WOW sweet truck
drooling over here.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer