44hdf and 70f cross over steering arm

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

44hdf and 70f cross over steering arm

Post by digdoug »

I have been watching for a steering arm for a M 715/725 for cross over steering for a couple years. I think it may work. :thinking I just bought one the other day,but haven't got it yet. It looks like the guy listed another 3 arms.GREAT PRICE!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-vehicl ... 43b76c4360 :Thumbsup

dougdodgeman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: belleville,il.

Re: 44hdf and 70f cross over steering arm

Post by dougdodgeman »

Doug, I assume you plan on this replacing the king pin cap on the passenger side, and being a direct bolt on? I'd be interested in this, as I just picked up a '76 W-600 with a Dana 70 front. Keep us posted. Thanks Doug

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

I'll be watching this thread with great anticipation, Doug. Your trail-blazing work with the getrag in your crew cab was/is amazing. Show us how it's done, man!

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Rob, thanks for the kind words. Coming from you it means a lot! :salut

I didn't start this as a build thread,but rather a "call to arms" for people like yourself. I just got the arm today.It is NEW old stock. The first hole is a shade over 6 1/2 " from the pivot on centers. The taper is big on bottom and looks correct for a chevy one ton end. The largest part of the bore is @.765,so if it was bored straight ,for 3/4 hiems ,you would have a good 9/16 inch of solid meat. It will bolt on to the large knuckle and has the same king pin as the other big knuckle arms. I have no plans in the near future to build a cross over set up,I'm just a steering parts collector... :joker

After holding this part in my hands,I would say,if you are looking to do cross over on a big closed knuckle rig BUY ONE. :Thumbsup

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Doug! Currently I'm contemplating pulling the 70F out from under my '67 and switching to a 60F- mainly to get the tighter turning radius and disc brakes (I'm planning on running 46" michelins- going to need all the stopping power I can get LOL). Anyhoo, I don't forsee there being much luck in selling a closed-knuckle drum brake 70 (even with new brakes and and a rebuilt Powr-Lock) so I grabbed one these to throw on the shelf as cheap insurance for some "future unforseen project." $22 shipped is pretty much a no-brainer, hahahaha!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

digdoug wrote: After holding this part in my hands,I would say,if you are looking to do cross over on a big closed knuckle rig BUY ONE. :Thumbsup
Doug,
Big closed knuckle as in D44F large knuckle front?
John

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Yes,this arm will fit the Dodge and Ford large knuckle 44,the Ford and jeep large knuckle 60 and the Dodge and IH large knuckle 70.