SWB Transfer Case Lift

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
SnowCatSkinner

SWB Transfer Case Lift

Post by SnowCatSkinner »

I have a '68 W100 and its big problem on the trails is not enough ground clearance for the transfer case. Has anyone tried lifting just the t-fer case?

I've read some old posts that say you can do a 4" lift at the axles before the u-joints become a problem. Is that true? What's the major problem then? The clearance between the cross member at the bell housing and the front driveline?

Thanks for your help. It's tough convincing people it's a great truck when you get hung up on a big water bar!

Dave

SnowCatSkinner

Post by SnowCatSkinner »

No answers??? Nothing??? I know somebody out there must have taken a W Sweptline over the Rubicon, Fordyce Creek, or Dusy Ershim Trails and lived to tell about it. Give me the story.

I've seen WM300s out there. I've seen '72+ Mopars out there....

Help me out here. I'm tired of seeing all them jeepers laughing, drinking and crapping all over the best campsites.

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

:Thumbsup
My 68 W200 transfer case sits up real high, do you have a v8 or /6, manual or 727? I switched a 318 with 435 out of mine and put in a 383 with 727 and have run into some u-joint problems. Think it is the angle and hope to remedy it by crossmember mods. Outside of that the lowest thing you've got hanging is the diff.

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

You can get away with a 4" lift with out lengthing you driveshafts as long as they are in good shape.
try a 2" lift and a 2" body lift and some bigger tires. Ive had a power wagon in places a jeep wouldn't even think of going.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

SnowCatSkinner

Post by SnowCatSkinner »

Thanks for the reply Mopat. My truck's a '68 W100 318 NP435D3. The transfer case sits 4" higher than the diffs. The big problem is it sits dead center between the two axles. I've smacked it a couple of times even though I got the front wheels over the problem.

Since your t-case sits higher, then maybe all I need is the brackets off a 200. That fix would almost be too easy. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Dave

SnowCatSkinner

Post by SnowCatSkinner »

Thanks Hoss, there's some more info I can use. 2" on the axles would also buy me some more clearance between the front driveline and the x-member that I'd lose if I lifted the t-case. Would I have to wedge the rear axle to get a better u-joint angle?

You know, it's funny. The Ford guys, Chevy guys, even some of the jeepers all like this truck. Probably since you don't see too many of them anymore.

If you reply, and I don't get back to you right away, I'm not ignoring you, I'm just going fishing and drinking this weekend. Quite possibly not in that order. Have a good weekend!

Dave

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

Dave no ajustment nessessary on the driveline angle with a 2" lift. You can get the 2 inches by adding a set of add a leafs to the spring pack in the front and a block or add a leaf to the rear or by purchasing the lift kit from one of the lift kit manufacturers. You will need longer shocks also.
Hope this helps and have fun Fishing and drinking this weekend just don't drive while doing the drinking.
I'll be out of town till monday night
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

if you lifted the t-case, wouldnt you run into problems with the linkages, and such?? and if your running a divorced t-case, then you might be putting the short shaft at wierd angles as well causing undo tranny and t-case wear. i used to hang my chitty up all the time in the middle, added a nice skid plate braced to the crossmembers, from then on, i just plowed on thru whatever i hit, "LET 'ER RUB, SO I WONT HAVE PROBLEMS THERE NEXT TIME!!" lol!!! :lol: :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

SnowCatSkinner

Post by SnowCatSkinner »

wideblock66 wrote:if you lifted the t-case, wouldnt you run into problems with the linkages, and such?? and if your running a divorced t-case, then you might be putting the short shaft at wierd angles as well causing undo tranny and t-case wear.....
I've looked at it, and I think the biggest problem is the clearance between the front drive shaft and the crossmember at the bellhousing. I might have to cut out a chunk of the x-member and weld in a piece of 6 or 8 inch id pipe so the front shaft won't hit it. I haven't decided if I want to do that, since it supports a lot of weight.

The link at each shift handle has an adjustable clevis & pin which is free to rotate vertically; at the t-case, the link is bent 90° and goes in a hole drilled through the shift rail and is secured by a cotter pin. This end is also free to rotate vertically. So when you lift it, as long as you don't move the case closer to either frame rail, I don't think the linkage will be a problem. But that's a good idea to check it out before, just to make sure.

It's a divorced 201. The short shaft actually angles DOWN from the tranny to t-case by about 2". So, I would think it could be raised 4" and still maintain the same load on the u-joints (except angled up instead). The rear shaft does have a steep angle back to the rear diff. In fact, the case is tilted back some, I guess to improve the u-joint angle. That's why I was interested to hear from Hoss about having to wedge the rear axle or not.

Thanks for your ideas Wideblock. That's a good idea, to go with a skid plate. That should get me through the summer ok. I'd rather take the truck apart this fall after the snow starts flying and the fishing gets lousy.

SnowCatSkinner

Post by SnowCatSkinner »

Thanks for the info, Hoss. Don't worry, I don't drink and drive. That's strictly for the tourists. In fact, the tourists up here have a saying about that, "South Lake Tahoe: go on vacation, return on probation."

Dave

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

SnowCatSkinner wrote:"South Lake Tahoe: go on vacation, return on probation." Dave
We say that up here in Oregon as well. The cops always tack their budget increases to bills that raise the already outrageous property taxes. The voters vote them down, so the cops make stiffer penalties and higher fines. You'd think one of them is smart enough to figger this out, but I'm affraid not.
SnowCatSkinner wrote:If you reply, and I don't get back to you right away, I'm not ignoring you, I'm just going fishing and drinking this weekend. Quite possibly not in that order.
You gotta respect a guy who's this honest! :Thumbsup
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

SnowCatSkinner

Post by SnowCatSkinner »

OregonDodgeboy... A 440 '67 W200? Wow, that sounds like a great truck, I'm jealous!

Thanks for the kind words. Down here in northern CA, we've always thought of Oregon as "God's country". It saddens me to hear that the authorities up there are just as bad up as here... Well maybe not quite as bad, as this short story demonstrates:

The local rag (Tahoe Daily Tribune)reported a story about 2 tourists from the Bay Area. The muni. court judge here has a house on the lake (big surprise). Every morning he jogs along the beach. This one morning, in the course of his jogging, he spotted 2 tourists overnight camping on the beach (illegal here in south shore). He jogged home and called the cops. They arrested the illegal campers and confiscated all their gear. The next day the criminal tourists appeared in that same judge's court. They pled "guilty" and awaited sentencing. The judge flew into a rage and started ranting about how illegal campers were ruining the view of the lake (probably his while jogging) and since he had noticed a few empty beer bottles around their tent, he could only assume they were also drunk in public, and that kind of blatant disregard for the law deserves the maximum penalty...90 days in jail...EACH.

Is there any wonder why I only drink when I'm camping way back up in the hills?