Frame shackle bushing

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Frame shackle bushing

Post by jimmy »

No manufacture makes a replacement for this bushing. No other bushing that I can find has the correct size O.D. and or I.D.
One year ago I changed out my front frame shackle bushings. My truck is a 69' but this should cover to 71'. I've been asked several times about the new bushings, how are they holding up and what not. So I thought I would inspect the bushings and give an update so I don't miss lead anyone.
At first glance the bushings looked pretty crappy, once removed the inner were still in good shape. I had new bushing from the last time I did the job so I thought why put the old ones back.
The parts/number that Napa gave me last year are still good however the part will no longer fit. Napa like others are switching to hard material rather than soft rubber.
As for the part I used last year, I relied on the inner metel sleeve to expand the outer to a tight fit, which it did. But now that the bushing is hard it won't work at all.
While the flange of the bushing wasn't ideal, it worked in my daily driver for one year and the part was easly had, until now.

I have landed on a new part after hours of searching.
Included are pictures of the year old bushings, the new bushings,and the link for the post from last time.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28688&hilit=shackle+bushing
Sorry the pictures are in reverse order.

So the box of the new bushings are a kit for Toyotas. The only way I found the right size in town was to buy the hole box. The box was only $20.00
Thier are enuf to complete three trucks. The OD of the new bushing is 1.00" before the metel sleeve is installed. The inside is perfect for the metal sleeve. I removed material from bushing the EZest way I could think of. I installed the sleeve into the bushing then slid the bushing over a 1/2 bolt. The bolt gives you something to hold on to and allows the bushing to rotate while a bench grinder removes excees material. I took mine down to .94"(with the metal sleeve installed) . At this size you will need a C-clamp to press the bushings into the frame. Seems to work pretty well. The only thing that would make it better would be if the flange of the bushing was a larger diameter.
Attachments
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0571.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG
Last edited by jimmy on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Frame shackle bushing

Post by jimmy »

Got them installed, Truck rides and feels about the same at low speeds (35mph). I hope for the same on the highway.
The OD that seemed to work was .94 - .93" Any larger and the bushing doesn't want to push in.
One more thing about the poly is the metal sleeve is true... from side to side, the shackle bolts slide right in. With my last year rubber bushing the sleeves would not line up quit straight and the bolt was tricky to install.

I like this fix mutch better that the rubber. I still wish a factory rubber was avalible, but oh well.
Last edited by jimmy on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

:Thumbsup

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Good post :Thumbsup

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

Glad to help, I'd hate to see others spend all the time to research the same thing. :Thumbsup We have work to get done with our time, not goof around looking for parts. :lol: