anyone have any pics of a 4wd lifted running 40's or bigger

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
theregularguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Prineville
State: OR

anyone have any pics of a 4wd lifted running 40's or bigger

Post by theregularguy »

just wondering if anyone has any pics of a swepty running anything bigger then 40's? i been wanting to lift my 67 to run atleast 40's. would love to see them if anyone has them.

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bellingham
State: WA

Re: anyone have any pics of a 4wd lifted running 40's or big

Post by Seff »

ive only seen a few, the guys will find photos. if i were you i would check into upgrading the axles, steering and get a 8 inch lift. if you have a big block you would be fine, but if your running a small block i would upgrade to keep the Rpms down. just my :2cents

-Seff

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm

Post by crusty »

I found this at ramcharger central:
Attachments
joes67-1.jpg

theregularguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by theregularguy »

holy crap that is nice! my dodge already has a 383 in it. i couldnt bring myself to put a small block in it. what axles would be better to use? and get them out of what?

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Churchton
State: MD

Post by surfnuke9 »

axles from an early 90's dodge with at least a 3.7 or numerically higher ratio given that you want to run 40's

Gets you a front D60 with large discs and the rear is a D70 with the most monstrous brakes I have seen.

I put in a set from a 93 D350 deisel with 3.54s in them on my truck. Pretty much a direct bolt in.

had to swap front shock mounts to the front side of the axle tube and change the rear yoke to a smaller one to work with my existing drive shaft u-joint.
was even able to modify my original rear spring pack u-bolt plates to work on the larger D70 axle tubes.

theregularguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by theregularguy »

i friend of mine had a dodge 60 from about a 95 dodge. would it be hard to put leafs on it instead of coils. something that is more simple. the last time i knew he did not want much for it. as my dodge sits now it has 410's. i wanna go a lil lower something around 4.56's.

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by crusty »

I used one out of a 91ish W250. Dana 60 and disc brakes. Even a newer Dana 44 would be an upgrade. Open knuckle and disc brakes.

theregularguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by theregularguy »

i can get the 60 from him for 500. should i snag it?

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Seff »

theregularguy wrote:i can get the 60 from him for 500. should i snag it?

its always good to have a d60 over a d44 :)

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by crusty »

I wouldn't pay that much for a newer one (with unit bearings) That's what I paid for mine, which is the older style with king pins and lockout hubs.

Sure, a 60 is better than a 44 if you are talking about the older style 60s, but the newer ones really only have strength in the gear/carrier area. Shafts, ball joints, unit bearings, etc make them weaker and more comparable in stength to a 44.

theregularguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by theregularguy »

good point on that. i will start looking for a older 60 out of a chevy.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane

Post by jimmy »

one more point, 93' was the last year the gears/yoke were on the right/passanger side. In 94' Dodge switch to the left/driver side like ford. Your transfer case front drive line drops on the right/passanger side.

I also run 92' D60 and 70 w/3.54 gears in my truck. Like the guys said they are stong parts are easy to find and the brakes are great.

Very easy swap. A dana 60 yoke interchanges with the huge cummins yoke so you don't have to make drivelines (snaged a yoke from a truck at pullnsave.) I used chevy front brake hoses to go from calipers to the factory body brake line.
King pin D60's are pretty expencive around here. Everyone wants them for upgrades and rock crowlers.

I felt I got a great deal on mine several years ago, I paid $1000 for the pair and they needed complete brakes (everything).
a D60 93' & older usually sell for about $1000 by them self in Spokane.

theregularguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by theregularguy »

ok i just talked to my buddy who has the 60 and it is a newer 60. he knows someone with matching axles for a grand out of a 1st gen cummins 1 ton. he says he will talk to them to see if they will hold them for me till tax time. if so i will be one happy dude! is that a good deal? he was tryin to talk me into a d44 with a locker and yukon axles for the same price.

dougdodgeman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: belleville,il.

Post by dougdodgeman »

Make sure you check the gear ratio in those 1st gen. axles, because the '89 to early '91's can be 3.07 if they where originally installed in an automatic truck. The front is actually a dana 61, and my understanding is they don't have another ratio to fit it or it's not economical to change gears. At the very least you'd be lookig at changing the carriers, which again is not very economical. Doug

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Seff »

dougdodgeman wrote:Make sure you check the gear ratio in those 1st gen. axles, because the '89 to early '91's can be 3.07 if they where originally installed in an automatic truck. The front is actually a dana 61, and my understanding is they don't have another ratio to fit it or it's not economical to change gears. At the very least you'd be lookig at changing the carriers, which again is not very economical. Doug
Doug, are you saying my w250 with the 5.9L/auto combo is running a 61 up front? Will the alxe carrier have the markings like the dana 44 and 60's do?

-Seff

theregularguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by theregularguy »

yeah it is a 61. should i keep looking?

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn
State: CA

Post by PowerMan »

I've heard they are not as strong as the 60 because the 61 uses smaller axle tubes (even though I have yet to see a broken axle tube).
Here is a link to everything about Dana 60's. Check out the beginning of page 2 for Dana 61 info:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

dougdodgeman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: belleville,il.

Post by dougdodgeman »

Seff, if your truck is an '89,'90, or early '91[built before 1/1/91] and is an automatic, then yes that's the case. Or in other words if your truck has 3.07 gears, then you have a dana 61 front. Still a 70 rear. Doug

Regularguy, yes I think you'd be better off loking for a 60. Doug

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I didn't know you could use Dana 60 gears in a Dana 61. I thought you would be stuck using 3.07s. Where there's a will there's a way.

theregularguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by theregularguy »

thank you for helpin out. i was lookin at the pirate 1st page. about half way down were they show the yoke differences. the yokes i have in my dodge now all the way threw is the bigger one. to be honest with you guys i have no idea what front end i have i have looked all the way around that sucker and cant find any markings on it. if you guys want i will snap a few photos of it. i honestly couldnt tell you if its the stock one or not.