gas tank under the bed of my 67w200

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
walkerdodgeman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kimberly
State: ID

gas tank under the bed of my 67w200

Post by walkerdodgeman »

Hello i am new to this site, i would like to install a gas tank behind the rear axle of my truck so i can remove the old one behind the seat. I would like to have about thrity gallon capacity, does anyone know what might fit new or used. I would apperiate any help that can be given thank you Rick :Thumbsup

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Re: gas tank under the bed of my 67w200

Post by jimmy »

Welcome glad to have you on the site; we all love pictures, post some of your ride when you have time.
The Dodge Ramcharger 70's -80's tanks fit well and the the larger size is 36 gallons.

I couldn't find one so I installed a extra cap. 38 gallon chevy suberban tank from a mid 80's. The frame rails are spaced pretty close.
You will have to devise a filler neck and tank mount/straps no matter what tank you use. I also modified my rear frame cross brace to allow moving the tank up two more inches. I really think the ram charger tank would fit better.

I reused the sweptline sending unit, made a adapter ring and bent the pickup to fit the new tank. I recomend using the sweptline sending unit otherwise you will have to figure out your sending unit ohms to work with your sweptline gauge.

I ran the filler neck out the back and chopped my bumber to fit. I used a 65' plymouth licanse plate fold down to access. After all said and done I should have just ran a fill neck up to the drivers side bed next to the stake pocket. Mine works ok but a filler neck in the bed would have been less work.

:2cents lots of ways to do this, I don't think anyone has really perfected a swap. If I had a long box I think I would have used sadle tanks inside the frame rails.
Attachments
IMG_6820.JPG
IMG_6819.JPG
Last edited by jimmy on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

more
Attachments
IMG_6417.JPG
IMG_6710.JPG
IMG_6709.JPG

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Yes the Ramcharger one fits great in my truck. If you use one from the wrecking yard grab the tank bracesand straps also they make it for a clean install.

walkerdodgeman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kimberly

Post by walkerdodgeman »

Hi Jimmy thank you for your reply, your installation looks great. Rick. :Thumbsup

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

Any time. Sounds like pismopowerwagon has a better set up. May be he has some pictures for you.