Tanks axle swap pics

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Tanks axle swap pics

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Installing a 1985 king-pin Dana-60 in Tank :dance , I thought I would share some pics. there not in very good order I havent figured out how to organize yet. I still have to weld passenger shock mount and cut drive-shaft about an inch, also reroute ram hoses. Enjoy the other pics at my shop, or shows also if you like.

http://s827.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... n%20MoPar/

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: El Centro (of nowhere)
State: CA

Re: Tanks axle swap pics

Post by DavidWymore »

Kool! :dance Indeed.

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bellingham
State: WA

Post by Seff »

looks like a tank :Thumbsup how does it do on trails?

wide65
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by wide65 »

Sweet!

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Seff wrote:looks like a tank :Thumbsup how does it do on trails?
ITS A POWERWAGON :lol: It does great on the trails, hopefully even better with the new brakes.

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn

Post by PowerMan »

Nice work! I'm jealous. I've been looking for a kingpin passenger drop 60 for the W200 Cummins conversion I am doing and haven't been able find one that is anywhere near being reasonably priced in the area. I need one so I can set up the power steering.

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

PowerMan wrote:Nice work! I'm jealous. I've been looking for a kingpin passenger drop 60 for the W200 Cummins conversion I am doing and haven't been able find one that is anywhere near being reasonably priced in the area. I need one so I can set up the power steering.
I put an add on craigslist since I was having no luck either, you might have seen it. A guy in Nipomo ten minutes from me called and said he stashed one way back for a mudbogger project and never got around to using it. You never know.
Thanks for the comment :Thumbsup

jwing68
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lethbridge,Alberta
State: Foreign

Post by jwing68 »

Nice upgrade to the tank, did the additional unsprung weight of the dana 60 make the ride any rougher/choppy in your opinion?

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

jwing68 wrote:Nice upgrade to the tank, did the additional unsprung weight of the dana 60 make the ride any rougher/choppy in your opinion?
I am waiting for the rest of my new tires to come in to do a test drive I odered one first just to make sure everything fit right, my old ones wont fit since they were 15s. I will let you know how it feels.

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DavidWymore »

jwing68 wrote:Nice upgrade to the tank, did the additional unsprung weight of the dana 60 make the ride any rougher/choppy in your opinion?

I can answer that....yes. But it's really not a big deal, worth it IMO if you actually wheel it and run big tires.

What tire size are you planning on, pismo?

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

DavidWymore wrote:

I can answer that....yes. But it's really not a big deal, worth it IMO if you actually wheel it and run big tires.

315/75x16 on 16x8 alloy wheel(there is one pic on there of it) I purchased one and it fits real nice even better than I thought, and should absorb quite a bit of the rough ride. The 44 axle I had with my home brew disc brake made the front wheels stick out more than I like but you could hardly notice. Now wheel is in the fender well all the way. I do wheel it allot, so the overkill 60 is the way to go. My wife says my middle name should be overkill Andy Overkill Brown so I have to keep up my reputation :lol:

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bellingham

Post by Seff »

pismopowerwagon wrote:
DavidWymore wrote:

315/75x16 on 16x8 alloy wheel(there is one pic on there of it) I purchased one and it fits real nice even better than I thought, and should absorb quite a bit of the rough ride. The 44 axle I had with my home brew disc brake made the front wheels stick out more than I like but you could hardly notice. Now wheel is in the fender well all the way. I do wheel it allot, so the overkill 60 is the way to go. My wife says my middle name should be overkill Andy Overkill Brown so I have to keep up my reputation :lol:
i wish i had trails in my area to go wheeling, of course i wonder how my 89 cummins would do wheeling? :thinking

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn

Post by PowerMan »

I might have to put an ad out so I can get this project moving.

Seff, you would be suprised with the cummins wheeling rigs. One of my wheelin buddies bought a '90 w250 and put 40" tires on and has a great time with the truck. Everything besides the tires are stock except that it is missing the front fenders and bed for clearance reasons. :joker

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DavidWymore »

PowerMan wrote:I might have to put an ad out so I can get this project moving.

Seff, you would be suprised with the cummins wheeling rigs. One of my wheelin buddies bought a '90 w250 and put 40" tires on and has a great time with the truck. Everything besides the tires are stock except that it is missing the front fenders and bed for clearance reasons. :joker

My '95 Cummins was a beast offroad, but the weight, locker, and torque broke axleshafts. Of course, it was much heavier than a stripped out '90.

Today at the JY looking for wheels to replace the ones I had stolen, they had a '91 W350 with a Cummins and a 60 front, they want $400 for the 60. I could try to talk them down so there's some room for a couple bucks for my time and pull and ship it to you, or bring it up, I have some very good friends up by Lopez Lake I need to visit.

I have a Chevy one in my yard, and a line on another, but I have a couple buddies asking me about 60s already.

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Churchton
State: MD

Post by surfnuke9 »

Very nice....I have loved the 93 D60 front anf D70 rear I put in my 71 W200....3.54 gears and discs.... does it get any better?

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DavidWymore »

surfnuke9 wrote:Very nice....I have loved the 93 D60 front anf D70 rear I put in my 71 W200....3.54 gears and discs.... does it get any better?
Yeah...5.13s and 39" tires.... :lol:

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

That's a really nice upgrade Andy! :Thumbsup Those new
wheels are cool too! :Thumbsup :clap
John

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane

Post by jimmy »

Very nice, You'll love the big brakes. I know I do.
Mine is just a pavement pounder but the big brakes sure are nice on the street and pulling trailers.

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

jimmy wrote:Very nice, You'll love the big brakes. I know I do.
Mine is just a pavement pounder but the big brakes sure are nice on the street and pulling trailers.
Thanks Jimmy, I am really looking forward to the new brakes. What tires did you go with? I will pull my R/T on occasion to the strip and wonder if the LT315/75x16 load D will do, I never had a problem before even with the 35/12.5x15s but I didnt tow very far distance just around here town to town.

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by DavidWymore »

I think you will be fine, I used to run 315s on my Cummins and towed a lot more weight than that. Smaller, E-rated tires will handle better, but the 315s are OK.