NP 203 T-case issues

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
67fury383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Battle Ground
State: WA

NP 203 T-case issues

Post by 67fury383 »

OK, so my truck is a little bit of a frankenstein beast. It's a D200 on an 85 w200 frame, running chevy 3/4 ton running gear, 727 trans, and a 203 tcase. When I purchased the truck I wasn't able to test the 4x4 because the front driveline was out. I was told that the tranny and t-case had recently been gone through, and the front driveline was present but uninstalled because of a bad u joint. I am also assuming that the t-case has a part time kit installed since I have some warn hubs on the front axle. So anyway I install put a new ujoint in and install the front drive line, but find it odd because the front output on the 203 is spinning free. So curiosly I put the thing in low, and move the lever around but the front driveline still spins free. So I locked the hubs in and checked once again and now of course since the hubs are locked the driveline doesn't spin. But still no 4x4. So took the linkeage apart to try and engage it by hand. No dice. :pale I can get the levers to move into their positions but nothing engages the front shaft. :thinking

So what do you think? I think whoever went through the t-case screwed something up, which is what I'm thinking as evidince of a "Goopy Gary" job they did on all the excess silicone they used putting it back together. Should I just go get another 203? They're pretty common. Will I have to install a part time kit in one since I have locking hubs or can I just use a normal one? Any suggestions? The truck uses chevy drivelines too and the flat chevy front output shaft on the t-case.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: NP 203 T-case issues

Post by 712edf »

Oh lord.... :pale

Your second sentence more or less says this is made up of at least 4 trucks.

I would get a good/working/STOCK 203.
Your axles will work but you must keep the hubs locked (with the stock NP203 t-case).

Bucky

67fury383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67fury383 »

For daily use I shouldn't have to keep the hubs locked if I go with a stock 203. Shouldn't it still work like a 2wd if I put it in hi-lock? I know the axles and driveline will spin, but the wheels won't.

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bellingham

Post by Seff »

What type of hubs do you have on the front end? i know dodge had the dana 44 axle with warn hubs to lock and unlock the front hubs for 4x4. i know on my 73 its got the 2wd option for the transfer case, but it also has locking hubs. would it matter if the transfercase was full-time 4x4 and the axle hubs to be unlocked to make it 2wd?

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

Well, with the front hubs you're either going to need a part time kit, or drive it with the front hubs locked in. Otherwise you'll need to run in hi-loc, which will roast the differential that is inside the 203. I'd keep monkeying with the 4x4 shifter- the front output flange should stop moving either in hi-loc or low loc (furthest rearward, or furthest forward position of the 4x4 shifter, respectively). Also check that the shifter isn't hitting the cutout in the transmission hump, either. These things tend to get overlooked in franken-rigs.

67fury383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67fury383 »

powerwagoncrazy wrote:Well, with the front hubs you're either going to need a part time kit, or drive it with the front hubs locked in. Otherwise you'll need to run in hi-loc, which will roast the differential that is inside the 203. I'd keep monkeying with the 4x4 shifter- the front output flange should stop moving either in hi-loc or low loc (furthest rearward, or furthest forward position of the 4x4 shifter, respectively). Also check that the shifter isn't hitting the cutout in the transmission hump, either. These things tend to get overlooked in franken-rigs.
In the end after dinking with it more than enough, I just disconnected the linkage and manually switched the levers that are on the side of the T-case. Front ouput was still not engaging no matter what position the levers were in. Hence I think whoever did the t-case screwed something up in it. But I agree with you, I'll either have to get a case with the part time, or just grab a stock one from somewhere. I wouldn't think as little as I drive the truck I would roast the internal diff if the hubs were unlocked, but maybe if it were at freeway speeds a lot I'm sure it wouldn't be good for it.

67fury383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67fury383 »

And by the way, powerwagoncrazy, how's your foot? Still in the cast?

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Thanks for askin'! Yep- still in a bright pink cast lol! Picked up a 318 dash shift '67 D200 yesterday, so at least I'll be mobile again pretty soon hahaha

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bellingham

Post by Seff »

powerwagoncrazy wrote:Thanks for askin'! Yep- still in a bright pink cast lol! Picked up a 318 dash shift '67 D200 yesterday, so at least I'll be mobile again pretty soon hahaha
:thinking Hmm dash shift 67 cummins 2wd... Rob, I think your gonna go into shock soon... no Purr as your driving down the road :)

67fury383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67fury383 »

powerwagoncrazy wrote:Thanks for askin'! Yep- still in a bright pink cast lol! Picked up a 318 dash shift '67 D200 yesterday, so at least I'll be mobile again pretty soon hahaha
That D200 wouldn't be yellow and using a gas can for a tank would it? I know there's one for sale up here I've had an eye on for awhile :lol:

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Haha no, but I know the one you're talking about! That one actually belongs to a member on here. No, the one I picked up was actually down in Salem. The only advertising it had was a sign in the window, and a friend of mine just happened to drive past it...