What is the difference ??

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
countrycorby
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clarksville
State: AR

What is the difference ??

Post by countrycorby »

I may have posted my question in the improper place.... so I'll repost here.

What makes a Power Wagon a Power Wagon and not just a regular 4 whell drive ? :thinking
Thanks,
- Mike

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn
State: CA

Re: What is the difference ??

Post by PowerMan »

Sweptline Power Wagon mean that the truck is 4 wheel drive. There is no real Power Wagon that is not four wheel drive. Some people claim it is a Power Wagon but it is a 2wd so it is not a Power Wagon.

Series classifications:
W= 4wd Power Wagon
D= 2wd (not a Power Wagon)

countrycorby
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by countrycorby »

PowerMan wrote:Sweptline Power Wagon mean that the truck is 4 wheel drive. There is no real Power Wagon that is not four wheel drive. Some people claim it is a Power Wagon but it is a 2wd so it is not a Power Wagon.

Series classifications:
W= 4wd Power Wagon
D= 2wd (not a Power Wagon)
Thanks PowerMan -
So, I guess it's safe to say even if it does not don the badges Power Wagon - as long as it is a W- class ... it's a PW ?
Thanks,
- Mike

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

My 75 W600 doesnt have any Power Wagon badges, but it sure as hell is one.

Bucky

countrycorby
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by countrycorby »

Thanks Bucky ,
Yeah, I found this truck and the guy says it's not a PW but just a 4 wheel drive. It looks really clean (from the pics) - paint really looks good and possibly original - red with a white hat front and rear bumpers ar white as well- mirrors look hinky though... not original. One thing that is kinda scaring me is he says it's a 4 speed but the steering column has the PRND12 indicatior on it and the clutch pedal looks to a bit more to the left than I think it should be...... maybe it was an auto to start with and someone changed it at some point.
I need to go and look at it with some $$'s in my pocket and see if I can't talk him down off the $3000 price...... I did ask him about rust - from the pices it looks really clean and straight- I asked about the floors and rockers and he said the truck near rust free..... :thinking

Thanks,
- Mike

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

In another thread you mention its a 70 Uteline. 1970 was the first year for autos in 4x4s, so I've read. When these trucks get up into the $3000 range its best to have solid answers about its past & its originality. While its not as important on a truck as say a Hemi-Roadrunner, I'd hate for you to spend serious money on something thats not really what it appears to be.

Lack of PW badges, could a body swap have occurred?

Bucky

countrycorby
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by countrycorby »

712edf wrote:In another thread you mention its a 70 Uteline. 1970 was the first year for autos in 4x4s, so I've read. When these trucks get up into the $3000 range its best to have solid answers about its past & its originality. While its not as important on a truck as say a Hemi-Roadrunner, I'd hate for you to spend serious money on something thats not really what it appears to be.

Lack of PW badges, could a body swap have occurred?

Bucky

Yeah, I would really like to go down and at least take a look at it - about 100 miles from where I live. It would be a nice ride on the bike but I have learned when you are going to go and try to work someone down off their price .... don't come rolling up on a harley ...... they think you have more money than you say. Anyways, when I get a day off ....with nothing going on I'll try to get down there.

I'm not realy saavy with trying to upload the craigslist postings so I just give the info if someone wants to take a look...

Arkansas - Little Rock - cars / trucks - 1970 Dodge

- Mike

sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Post by sweatybetty »

ask him for the 1st few digits of the vin#. if it starts with a "D" it was a factory 2wd. if it starts with a "W" it is a factory 4wd. the vin will also be stamped into the frame behind the right front tire.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

sweatybetty wrote:ask him for the 1st few digits of the vin#. if it starts with a "D" it was a factory 2wd. if it starts with a "W" it is a factory 4wd. the vin will also be stamped into the frame behind the right front tire.
There are no D or W in the vin. of a 61-71 truck.
If the first # is a 1 it is two wheel drive. If its a two it is four wheel drive.
If the second # is a 1 it is a half ton. If it is a 2 it is a 3/4 ton. If it is a 3 it is a one ton.
If the third # is a 6 it has a 6 cylinder engine. if it is an 8 it has an 8 cylinders engine.
The 72+ have a different way to decode...

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

digdoug wrote:
sweatybetty wrote:ask him for the 1st few digits of the vin#. if it starts with a "D" it was a factory 2wd. if it starts with a "W" it is a factory 4wd. the vin will also be stamped into the frame behind the right front tire.
There are no D or W in the vin. of a 61-71 truck.
If the first # is a 1 it is two wheel drive. If its a two it is four wheel drive.
If the second # is a 1 it is a half ton. If it is a 2 it is a 3/4 ton. If it is a 3 it is a one ton.
If the third # is a 6 it has a 6 cylinder engine. if it is an 8 it has an 8 cylinders engine.
The 72+ have a different way to decode...
Actually 70 and 71 Sweptlines start with a D or E, depending on whether they are 2wd or 4wd.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Thanks Bill, My 69 didn't have any letters in the vin so I assumed... :shame :lol:

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

That is a nice looking truck there on craigslist. I vote converted to 4x4. The clutch pedal seems different than it should.