68 d100

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
rockingkay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lake City
State: FL

68 d100

Post by rockingkay »

I have been thinking about turning my 68 d100 long wheel base into a 4x4, but I am not sure witch way would be the path of least resistance. If I use I later model frame ,it would have to be shortend as it is 3 inchs to long on the wheel base. If I use my frame the steering box have to be mounted up frount and a mount for the tranfercase would have to be made. Or i could just set my cab on a later model short wheel base frame with a step side. The short frame is only 1 inch longer at the wheel base. This would proble be the easyest , but it really would not be a sweptline any more then. Mopar Scott has a wide selection of parts that I can work with.
But this would give my power steering and disk brakes with the 4x4. I would like to know if other members have done this. And wath there imput on this is.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: 68 d100

Post by soopernaut »

On a 4x4 the 3 inch wheelbase will not be as noticeable as it would be on a truck that sits lower. The frame area above the rear axle is higher on a newer Dodge truck frame so you would have to decide if you wanted to have a body lift for the rest of the truck or modify something to have it sit lower. The front cab mounts are different. You would have to decide what steering column you wanted to use and make it work.

Here is what a Sweptline looks like sittling on a unmodified 77 D150 frame. The crossmembers under the bed would also have to be flipped unless you do a body lift.

rockingkay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lake City
State: FL

Post by rockingkay »

I was not looking to go real tall with the truck. Maybe 31's or 33's for tires. So I would think that the 3 inch differant in frame would not look right. Seen one on craigslist that was done with the cab centered and the bed not. I thought it looked like crap. MoparScout has an short stepside that the cab is over with [ late 70's I think ] It would be a good donor for this, and it would still look cool. But i would like to stay with the sweptline bed if I could. I think I would like to stay with the old steering colunm to if I can. I have seen on here were someone said the angle is differant. I have seen race car builders us a ujoint on steering colunms to deal with that problem. And before people start freaking out, I got to say my truck is call Patches for a reason, it had a lot of rust. So its not like I am killing a nice all a original ride.

moparbay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rapid City
State: SD

Post by moparbay »

when i converted my 69 d100 all i did was find a 85 4x4 donor truck and swapped drivetrains. Front and rear axle bolt right up. The real fab i had to do was to move the shock mounts to the front of the front axle, drill new holes for the transmission/transfer case mount crossmember in the frame to relocate the crossmember and cutting a hole in the trans tunnel for the transfer case shifter. I had to have a rear driveshaft made but the front drive shaft fit just fine. About the word of caution is any donor truck after 71 (i think, please correct me if i am wrong) the center pin in the rear leaf springs are offset and will cause the rear axle not being centered in the wheel well by like 2 inches. I have 33s on mine. Rear lift is from a set of 3/4 ton springs (i relocated the center pin by drilling a new holed on the center of the spring pack and is temporary until i can find correct springs) and front is stock '85 1/2 ton springs (no lift)
see pics viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24709