Hub engage/lockout question...

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Cris
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Hub engage/lockout question...

Post by Cris »

On my truck (66 w200) when I turn the hub to lock/unlock one of them goes quite a bit further than the other.
One goes maybe a 1/3 of a turn and the other does maybe 3/4...
Is that normal or do I have something going south.?
And just what is the normal ratio of turn for normal hub operation.?

Thanks in advance,
Cris

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Hub engage/lockout question...

Post by 712edf »

I dont think its normal. The 3/4 turn one sounds correct.

Bucky

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Hi Cris;

Let us know what kind of hubs you have; that'll help provide you with a solid answer.
... do they look like these?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mountiansp ... 078257583/
Note the oblong pad in the dial - it has the model # of the hub... this one reads M7.

You can see the "FREE" and "LOCK" indicators on the outer rim of the hub (near red dots), and
the arrow on the dial pointing to one of them. Thus, a full engagement rotation is about 330 degrees.
Some reasons a hub like this won't turn all the way are:
> axle shaft splines not aligned with the hub - try rolling the truck forward or back a foot or so...
> mechanical problem with hub - take it apart, clean well and lube/grease it good.

Your hubs should turn fairly easily by hand, with no grinding feel. If they are stiff, the grease is likely gummed up.
If one won't go past a certain point, I would suspect it's time to take a peek inside.

These Warn M-7 hubs were standard on our Power Wagons and do a great job, but yours could have been changed out
at some point.

Cris
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cris »

PwrWgnWalt wrote:Hi Cris;

Let us know what kind of hubs you have; that'll help provide you with a solid answer.
... do they look like these?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mountiansp ... 078257583/
Note the oblong pad in the dial - it has the model # of the hub... this one reads M7.

You can see the "FREE" and "LOCK" indicators on the outer rim of the hub (near red dots), and
the arrow on the dial pointing to one of them. Thus, a full engagement rotation is about 330 degrees.
Some reasons a hub like this won't turn all the way are:
> axle shaft splines not aligned with the hub - try rolling the truck forward or back a foot or so...
> mechanical problem with hub - take it apart, clean well and lube/grease it good.

Your hubs should turn fairly easily by hand, with no grinding feel. If they are stiff, the grease is likely gummed up.
If one won't go past a certain point, I would suspect it's time to take a peek inside.

These Warn M-7 hubs were standard on our Power Wagons and do a great job, but yours could have been changed out
at some point.
Howdy Walt, thanks for all the info above. Turns out I do have M7's on my W. I feel really stupid now to say that withuot gloves on my freezing fingers the hubs rotate correctly to lock & free. I'm wondering if being in waist deep snow 'froze' the truck bits as much as my fingers.?
Worked fine on a 50 * day... (I won't mention that I needed my winch to get the truck off the side of my driveway (after it slid sideways down the hillside), 3WD wasn't working!)
;-0>
Thanks again,
Cris

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Cris;

That gear oil and grease can get pretty thick in the cold, and it sure makes things hard to move!

Good to hear it all works...

Do keep the 'roll the truck a foot or so' (more like a few inches) idea in your back pocket...
next time it doesn't want to engage, try that.

Happy wheelin' !
Walt :usa

Cris
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cris »

PwrWgnWalt wrote:Cris;

That gear oil and grease can get pretty thick in the cold, and it sure makes things hard to move!

Good to hear it all works...

Do keep the 'roll the truck a foot or so' (more like a few inches) idea in your back pocket...
next time it doesn't want to engage, try that.

Happy wheelin' !
Walt :usa
I'll def' keep that on the front part of my mind. Ended up having to back up a few feet to get the hubs to disengage
after going into 4wd to get out of the driveway this morning.

Thanks again,
Cris

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

To avoid confusion in case anyone else reads this thread :

The Warn M-7 hubs referenced were for the W100 & W200 Dodges of '68 and earlier.
W-200's from '69 and later used Warn M-166 hubs.
Both of these types are called "external" hubs because the entire mechanism bolts to the outside of the wheel/flange/hub.

The W100's from 1969 and newer used completely different "internal" hubs, where the mechanism resides largely inside the wheel/flange/hub
(that's why the axle hubs on '69 and up 1/2 tons appear longer and skinnier than their 3/4 ton, or older 1/2 ton, counterparts).
Last edited by PwrWgnWalt on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMR70D3
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Martinsville
State: IN

Post by CMR70D3 »

PwrWgnWalt wrote:To avoid confusion in case anyone else reads this thread :

The Warn M-7 hubs referenced were for the W200 Dodges of '68 and earlier.
W-200's from '69 and later used Warn M-166 hubs.
Both of these types are called "external" hubs because the entire mechanism bolts to the outside of the wheel/flange/hub.

The W-100's used completely different "internal" hubs, where the mechanism resides largely inside the wheel/flange/hub
(that's why the axle hubs on 1/2 tons appear longer and skinnier than their 3/4 ton counterparts).
Walt, thanks for clearing that up :Thumbsup Here's some pictures of W100 hubs.
Attachments
parts 004-1.jpg
70' W100 Dualmatic hub
70' W100 Dualmatic hub
71' W100 Warn hub M75E
71' W100 Warn hub M75E

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

DSCF0457.JPG
Here's an M-7 :Thumbsup
John

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

So did pre 69 W100 & W200 use same hub (as each other)? That being the M-7? Or am I reading too much into this?

Bucky

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

712edf wrote:So did pre 69 W100 & W200 use same hub (as each other)? That being the M-7? Or am I reading too much into this?

Bucky
Yes ,if the truck was fitted with warn hubs,your statement is correct. :Thumbsup