Bushing and shocks for 64 W100

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
menefreghista762
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Baytown
State: TX

Bushing and shocks for 64 W100

Post by menefreghista762 »

Anyone use these Daystar bushings?? Or do you recommend buying the rubber ones through NAPA

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... =KC02002BK

Shock recommendations appreciated too, I see Ranco available through NAPA as well.

Wanna try and keep my ride reasonably comfortable :lol:

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Re: Bushing and shocks for 64 W100

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

I used the energy suspension spring eye bushings in a '70 W100 many years back, and liked it.
IIRC, these urethane (or whatever) bushings are supposed to give a softer feel than the stock rubber bushings.
If you do not have an after-market lift kit, I would recommend urethane.

As far as shocks, I highly encourage you to measure what she sits at now; measuring at the passenger's side front
and one side at the rear (shock-mount to shock-mount; you're looking for shock length at ride heigth).
Then go online to Rancho's catalog and make sure you will be happy with what their catalog tells you
(front & rear shocks will be different). IIRC the '64 W100 was a bit taller than later year W100's.

Enjoy!

menefreghista762
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Baytown
State: TX

Post by menefreghista762 »

demulsion
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bremerton
State: WA

Post by demulsion »

My buddy has used them on a lowered Dakota. They worked well, but are stiffer than rubber. Nice for handling, if that's what you're after.

Also, as I recall your truck is lifted a little, but FIY auto parts place database lists the wrong shocks for W series trucks. Get some measurements of what you need, and then check out this: http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/shocks/Shock_Specs_2-0.xls I have Rancho5000's on my '68, and am quite indifferent about them. Not to harsh, nor to soft. Haven't tried anything else to compare...
PwrWgnWalt wrote:IIRC the '64 W100 was a bit taller than later year W100's.
'69-'71 Power Wagons were a couple inches lower factory, than the previous years.