1970 W100 Rear Axle...need thoughts - repair or replace

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
clivis
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 80866

Re: 1970 W100 Rear Axle...need thoughts - repair or replace

Post by clivis »

So, I'm pretty sure mine is a 1970 dana 60 with 4:10 gears, with a 5 on 5.5" center lug pattern. That's what I'm trying to repair or replace. I'd buy one if you have it in Colorado.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

powerwagoncrazy wrote:Look for a rear 8.75" axle from a '69-'74 W100- they'll be the same width with the same bolt pattern. So will the 9.25" axles used in the '85-'93 1/2 tons and ramchargers.
I'm not so sure about that. It appears the axles after 71 were wider. The perches might be the same distance apart but it doesn't say here.
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html
clivis wrote:So, I'm pretty sure mine is a 1970 dana 60 with 4:10 gears, with a 5 on 5.5" center lug pattern.
It is more likely a 8.75 Chrysler, not a Dana 60.

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

From my experience I'd say it's highly unlikely your truck has a dana 60 rear. I know some of the HP B and E body cars came with 5 lug dana 60 rears, but I've never seen one in a truck. Look at your axle from the back of the truck- is there a removable diff cover with bolts holding it on? I'd be willing to bet not... It should have a smooth, round, welded-on face. Now move to the front of the axle- are there a series of nuts holding the 3rd member in? If it has the smooth welded part on the back and the series of nuts holding the third-member in its an 8 3/4, which is the stock rear axle on all '69-'74 W100 pickups. If you get a chance snap a pic or two and we'll tell you for sure what you have.

Per Soop's post the post-'71 axles appear to be wider, but I assure you that the perch width is the same and the '72-'74 axle will bolt in place of your original.

clivis
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by clivis »

This is great guys...last thing I want to do is put effort towards the wrong type of axle. I'll see what I can do to get pics posted.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

The Dana 60 has the same shape cover as the Dana 44 and the Dana 70. It will have a 60 cast or stamped in the bottom gusset just to the right of the cover. The Dana 44 wasn't ever a factory rear axle Dodge used in the USA but one from another vehicle could have been swapped in. In Mexican trucks they did use a Dana 44 rear, maybe other countries too.

clivis
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by clivis »

Yes...it is the 8 3/4 axle, with the smooth welded backing. Knowing that, what would you do about repairing or replacing? I'd love to get her back on the road.

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Innisfail
State: Foreign

Post by Boons »

Ide replace it with a Dana 60 and call it good.

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

I'd start looking for a replacement axle shaft- you'll probably end up having to get one shipped to you from somewhere. Dana 60's are great, but you'll wind up with 8 lug out back and 5 lug still up front. No problem if you don't mind packing 2 spare tires, though...

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Boons »

powerwagoncrazy wrote:I'd start looking for a replacement axle shaft- you'll probably end up having to get one shipped to you from somewhere. Dana 60's are great, but you'll wind up with 8 lug out back and 5 lug still up front. No problem if you don't mind packing 2 spare tires, though...
Forgot about that. :pale

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bellingham
State: WA

Post by Seff »

powerwagoncrazy wrote:I'd start looking for a replacement axle shaft- you'll probably end up having to get one shipped to you from somewhere. Dana 60's are great, but you'll wind up with 8 lug out back and 5 lug still up front. No problem if you don't mind packing 2 spare tires, though...
what about swiching the rear drum? or maybe finding a later model axle to put in it?

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Yeah no switching drums from a 60 to an 8 3/4- they're 2 completely different animals. A later W150 or Ramcharger axle ('80-'93) will bolt in, have the right lug pattern, be close to the same width, and probably have the right u-joint yoke, but good luck finding one with 4.10's. Damn near every one I've ever seen has had 3.54 gears. You could get one regeared, but away goes your $$$$

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Finding a 8.75 axle with 4.11 gears and a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern is probably going to take a while unless someone knows where one is sitting. I don't know what is availble aftermarket for these axles so you might want to search.

Another option would be a Ford 9 inch. They look about the same as the Mopar 8.75, they were used for many years, they had the 5 on 5.5 inch bolt pattern on trucks/vans and they were available with a 4.11 gear ratio. The frame widths are pretty close so they might bolt in without moving the perches. :thinking

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

Boons wrote:Ide replace it with a Dana 60 and call it good.
That would be my answer also. As my brother likes to say, "1/2 tons are OK for little kids on the flat." :lol: :lol:

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bellingham
State: WA

Post by Seff »

RussRoth wrote:
That would be my answer also. As my brother likes to say, "1/2 tons are OK for little kids on the flat." :lol: :lol:
:lol: i thought they were for girls?

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Boons »

RussRoth wrote:
Great minds think alike haha. Even now I'm alittle self-conscious about my rear 60 with 42 inch tires. Holding off on buying new gearing and a locker for it till the last moment incase I finda good deal on a SRW Dana 70 or FF 14 Bolt.

clivis
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by clivis »

I want this vehicle to be as original as possible. I understand the thought about beefing up your rig. Maybe if I had done that in the first place I wouldn't be in this spot. That being said, I want the most cost effective way to recondition my truck. Anyone in or around Colorado have the Axle or parts I need?

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

If you want to keep it orignal:

Check out the "3rd member" (the removable center section containing the pinion and ring gear) to see if it's OK; and
Check out the other axle (non-broken side) to see if it is damaged.
[Consider replacing the bearings on both of these while in there.]

I'm guessing your 3rd member should be OK. If not though, any 8-3/4 axle could be a donor with the right gear ratio,
including from cars. (You'll want to figure out the differences in the 3rd member casting #'s and what that means for you. Search this
site for more info).

Check out the axle tube/housing for damage, especially where the axle broke off (my guess is it's messed up?)...
If you need a new axle tube assembly, any 8-3/4 Chrysler axle tube from '69-71 1/2-ton pickups should work perfectly (D or W),
maybe even some of the older ones might bolt right in (but not sure of axle attachment plate at axle-flange pre-'69).

You will need to get the proper axle to replace the broken one (hard, but not impossible, to find the 5 x 5.5" pattern in the correct length with the right # of splines). It should fit any of the 8-3/4" Chrysler axles from '69-'71 D/W-100s.

There should be plenty of '69-'71 D/W-100's around Denver to get the stuff you need. Of course, the easiest solution
may be to find a '69-'71 W-100 with the correct ratio (4.11 was pretty common) and just get the whole axle.
[If you can't find the axle shaft, I think I might have one buried in my garage.]

Good luck!
- Walt

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

Good to see you posting Walt. Has been a long time. :Thumbsup :lol:

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

RussRoth wrote:Good to see you posting Walt. Has been a long time. :Thumbsup :lol:
Ditto! Good to see your post Walt. Hope all is well.
John