front axle swap

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Re: front axle swap

Post by DukePW »

OK how about the 8- lug bolt pattern? would my old steelies fit on the newer axel?

67cspowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: maple valley
State: WA

Post by 67cspowerwagon »

the wheels should fit I work on getting some pics in the next few day
I going take it apart and put wear parts in before I put in so will take some pic long the road as for the drag link it the same leght is the no-assit one it should work it was on a truck with a Dana 60 and worked fine K

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm

Post by crusty »

DukePW wrote:OK how about the 8- lug bolt pattern? would my old steelies fit on the newer axel?
Sorry, I forgot to answer.

Yes, they should fit. About the only real issues is that newer ford superduty wheels have a different 3 lug pattern, and chevy/gmc factory wheels have a smaller center hole. I have never seen an aftermarket that this was true of, though. Basically, if you have them on now, they will fit a newer dodge Dana 44 axle.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Seff wrote:just a quick question. why don't you get the gear box and all the steering components from the truck you got the axle from?
If I read it right his current truck is 67 & the donor truck is later than 72. Pre 72 trucks have the steering box behind the front axle, 72-up ahead of the axle. Would require some fab work, but doable.

Bucky

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm

Post by crusty »

There's a swept near where I work that the guy did just that. He took the newer dodge's frame section and spliced it into the swept frame in front of the axle, did a shackle reversal, and installed a newer D44. It is doable, but the way he did it looked a little butch.

Definitely not a bolt in if you do it that way