62 PW find

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
62w100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Greenwood
State: MS

62 PW find

Post by 62w100 »

My name is Clint and I am new to the forum. I came across this 62 PW the other day, it has two different tags in the door jamb, so I guess it is a 62. Joined this group to get a little more info on these trucks. I have several old chevy 4x4's and this is my first dodge 4x4.
It is original as far as I can tell. It has the original LU-2 winch and cable guard. I dont think the bumper is original but not sure on that. All the drivetrain is original it has a 318 and the a745 3 speed trans with 4.10 gears. Tell me what you think guys.

Presvjetli
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ruma
State: Foreign

Re: 62 PW find

Post by Presvjetli »

Nice PW :clap
Wellcome

lbman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Deming
State: WA

Post by lbman »

very nice rig..good score for sure
welcome
LB

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm

Post by crusty »

Welcome, and nice score! Looks to be a fun truck. I love the stance and color. Post up more pictures when you get a chance.

Seff
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bellingham

Post by Seff »

Nice rig, i like the light bar :Thumbsup

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Good looking machine! :welcome :usa
John

62w100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 62w100 »

Looks like I jumped the gun on the year of the truck. I thought it was a 62 based on the separate vin tag and tag with all of the info about the engine and axles as shown on the sweptline vin decoder. Well when I looked at the actual serial number on my truck it starts with 48XXXX. I knew it was a 65 then. I will get more pics as soon as I can.

This is my first dodge truck. I have several dodge cars and they are fairly easy to look at and tell the year. Also my chevy trucks are easy to look at and tell the year. Are there any small differences that would give any clues to year. For example my 67 gmc does not have marker lights, but my 68 chevy does.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Now you have to change your username. :banghead

62w100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 62w100 »

Ha, everything is good like it is. Just did not check the number. I am just glad to have a source for information on these trucks. I am going to restore this one back to original condition. It was white, so that is the color I am going to paint it. I need to do some brake work, one of the front brakes is not releasing. It looks like it has a power brake booster under the cab. Is that correct on these trucks?

I also want to find the original style seat, and the original wheels and bumpers.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

I know someone might have some original wheels, power brake booster under the cab is normal thru 66. it is called a hydravac. still in production and use all over the Americas. they come in different sizes. works great. got one on my D300. if fact I put a valve on mine to turn off the vacuum supply when I am unloaded because it works too good. nice truck!

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

62w100 wrote: For example my 67 gmc does not have marker lights, but my 68 chevy does.
This is true of all vehicles sold in US, side markers were required by Federal law begining with 1968 model vehicles.

Some basic clues. 61-65.5 had 4 headlights & round tailights. 65.5-later had only 2 headlights & oblong taillights. 68 & earlier trucks had opposing wipers, 69 & later they were parallel.

Dash pads showed up @67. Outer door handles changed somewhere along the way too.

Bucky

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

What a great find Clint - especially for Mississippi!

Looks to be a solid truck, with little/no rust (floor pans and rocker panels seem to be the worst places on these).
Post up some pictures of the interior and engine when you get a chance.
I think these four-headlight versions show the best character. You will certainly enjoy the beast!

Some info (if stock):
> Transfer Case = NP 201 (two levers)
> Engine = A-series 318 c.i. aka "Wideblock" (easily identified as different from later year LA-series engines by the two valve cover hold-down bolts on the top of each valve cover, and a scalloped or 'wavy' outside edge of the valve cover) more info here: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/a-engines.html
> Hydraulic clutch
> Front axle = Dana 44 'closed knuckle' (the bearing/bushing kingpins in these can be an issue - be sure to save http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/, it's about the only source for some parts)

Enjoy this great machine!
- PwrWgnWalt :usa

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

The original poster hasn't been back since September.