Lifted Steering Component Question

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
dbcarroll1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Northport
State: NY

Lifted Steering Component Question

Post by dbcarroll1 »

I have a '69 W 200 manual steering with a 6" lift that was done by the previous owner. How he corrected the steering in my opinion is questionable at best. He vertically extended the steering arm upward with a welded, gusseted tube on the end that the drag link attaches to, thus making it impossible to use a stock or even aftermarket drag link. Then he took the arm portion of a drag link, welded exposed ball and socket joints on either end and attached it to the modified steering arm and pitman arm with nuts and bolts. I would like to change this to a safer, more reliable system. Here are my options as I see it. The most obvious would be to bring the truck back to it's factory stance by changing the suspension and installing OEM steering components. That aside, I know that there are aftermarket companies that sell steering arm blocks to raise up the arm. Problem is that this truck has an older Dana 44, and all of the kits seem to fit the newer ones with king pins. The other option would be to install an extended pitman arm, replace the steering arm, and a new drag link. I realize any way that I decide to go is going to cost me a ton of dough, but my problem is, I cannot fins anyone who makes either a block for this Dana, or an extended pitman arm. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
P8100013.JPG
Attachments
P8100020.JPG
P8100019.JPG
P8100018.JPG
P8100017.JPG
P8100015.JPG
P8100014.JPG
Last edited by dbcarroll1 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Re: Lifted Steering Component Question

Post by POWWAG »

Could you post some pix of it as it is. I've been thinking of developing
drag links for lifted Swepts and fixing your problem may be a good place
to start.

Thanks,

Don

sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Post by sweatybetty »

POWWAG wrote:Could you post some pix of it as it is. I've been thinking of developing
drag links for lifted Swepts and fixing your problem may be a good place
to start.

Thanks,

Don
i would buy one!

dbcarroll1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Northport
State: NY

Post by dbcarroll1 »

Don, the only way that I see to correct the problem with the configuration as it exists, with just a drag link would be to have a stock rod end on the pitman arm side, and a machined, extended end on the steering arm side that would protrude through the bottom of the arm to accept a nut and cotter pin. Is this what you have in mind?

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane

Post by jimmy »

Well the good news is that it looks welded nice. It's not how I would fix it either.
Like they said, a block with longer grade 8 bolts on the knukle end and factory drag link would have solved the problem.

The guy how built it was doing what a lot of us do, use what they have with out spending alot of money. His job would be fine if it was a trail rig or working around the farm.

I don't know were to get a block except to have one made. You can try Blackbirds custom trucks. He is located in Spokane but has a web site. If he doesn't have he may be able to tell you were to get.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley

Post by POWWAG »

Jimmy is on the mark, I would take 4" in a doglegged drag link and and do a 4" block.

The alternative is crossover steering but I'm looking into a IH Scout II box as they are crossover from the factory.

Don