318 distributor problems

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
lbman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Deming
State: WA

318 distributor problems

Post by lbman »

well, I got er running after timing chain R&R...now I have a problem with distributor. Oh I was good on aligning marks, cam @ 6 crank @ 12
I had vacuum advance disconnected for timing motor...when it was all said and done It ran best at 5 BTDC. but when i connected vac advance hose it died!
I tried to start it with vac hose connected. it would sputter and cough. so i disconnected vac hose...starts right up. I had Distributor out to set point gap.@17
inspected bearing for problem. it looked good. I can move the timing off the scale advanced . it Idles faster sounds good , but complains when it starts
dist is a rebuilt installed by PO.
What the heck would cause problems with Distributor vac advance ? I will pull it today and take it apart to look over if anything could short out when advance pulls in. :thinking
oh and i will add: ballast resistor broke last week so i jumped it out. I picked up a coil for the ambulance I will put that in. It has a resistor built in to it says: NAPA
which leads to my second ?
If the resister is built into to the coil How does it get a hotter spark on start up? they said this is what folks with older cars are going too.
3rd ?..I picked up a 318-3 but it turned out it had rust in cylinders so I opted to change chain on existing motor for now.upon looking up specs for the -3. I noticed it has 7 1/2 :1 compression ratio...why is it lower compression? I will over-haul the -3 motor and change pistons to higher compression. maybe even stoke it a bit to get some serious HP
we are buying a new place and I just can't spend money now. gal would kill me....
thanks,
LB

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley

Re: 318 distributor problems

Post by POWWAG »

Larry,

It sounds to me like you are plumbed into manifold vacuum instead of ported
vacuum. Ported vacuum is drawn off the venturi side of the throttle butterfly
so it gets more vacuum as the throttle opens.

On an other note; I forgot all about getting back to you on the instrument VR.
There is good instructions in Tech write ups get with Radio Shack for the parts
and build one.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22961

Don

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ottawa, Ontario
State: Foreign

Post by reallylongnickname »

Side note:
Beware of the NAPA coil even if it is stamped; "use with external resistor." I bought one from them and by the time the motor would warm up, it would stall. The coil was hot to the touch. So I put in an old coil kicking around and everything is fine.

lbman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Deming

Post by lbman »

thanks for reply's..
I found problem with distributor was >>>Someone had turned adjustment in vacuum advance all the way IN....
who would have figured it had an adjustment...I have installed advance curve kits years past. but usually factory distributors are not adjustable.
anyways., I picked up a harbor freight vac gauge. set it up adjusted spring tension on advance .and the old 318 runs like it is supposed too. sure explains the Very Poor performance...i figure some sort of ingenious back yard mech. was trying to overcome jumped timing chain before i picked up the 64. its like driving a New 1964 worn out truck again YAHOOOO. :joker
thanks Don for the info . I will re-read the tech write up and get -r-done .
larry B