OT, 79 PW

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
centralwildcat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

OT, 79 PW

Post by centralwildcat »

So I went and looked at another 79 PW today. Its been professionally shortned (frame cut) and has a bitchin aftermarked alum. diamond plate storage/fuel compartment behind the cab. It has some weany little axles (10 or 12 bolt?) with some even more wimpy drivelines,and some 5 lug wheels...all attached to a 360/auto tranny. I was wondering if anyone has expierence with this era of PW, and can tell me more about the 360/auto(727???) combo. Also about the TC that should be there if it is indeed the stock one...NP205? Something else??? Thanks, mattc

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: OT, 79 PW

Post by 712edf »

TC should be full-time NP 203. Cast iron case, heavy. Chain driven, good if serviced/lubed properly (most weren't). Chains did stretch.

There is a forum on www.powerwagonadvertiser.com for 72-93 Dodge 4x4s

or www.ramchargercentral.com has plenty of info.

Those 75-79 1/2 tons had wimpy 5 lug bolt pattern (smaller than most 5 lugs) & the front Dana 44 has a hidden grease zerk they few knew about. Wiring problems are often present & seems like many have had the truck monkeyed with how the 4x4 works.

Bucky

centralwildcat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by centralwildcat »

What kind of job is it to replace those chains in the 203? I heard that the 5 lug wheels might be sought after by jeep guys?? mattc

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

centralwildcat wrote:What kind of job is it to replace those chains in the 203? I heard that the 5 lug wheels might be sought after by jeep guys?? mattc
On a 79, if it is stock and has full time 4 wheel drive, it will have the 5 on 4.5 inch bolt pattern just like most Sweptlines. Maybe you'll even find a set of 15x8s that many would like.

The front axle had on odd design and the wheel bearings tend to fail on them especially with large tires or lots of heavy use.

centralwildcat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by centralwildcat »

How does a NP 205 compare to a 208? That one ton might be a better fit for my convesion. mattc

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

NP205 was cast iron with and gear driven. The NP208 is Aluminum and chain driven. The 208 does have a lower low-range gear than the 205.

centralwildcat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by centralwildcat »

Thanks soop, thats what I needed to know. mattc

lbman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Deming
State: WA

Post by lbman »

hey Matt..
I had a 74 power wagon. heavy half tone 360 w 4 speed. it was a good truck but too lightly build to do heavy work with. I took out wheel bearings and it loosened up the housing a bit for bearings. was able to fix it though. it did jump the chain on transfer case too. pulling an 51 Chevy dump truck home.
the 360 had a timing chain jump so I over-hauled the motor.built it with higher compression , put in a hotter cam and added 4 barrel carb and new duel exhaust. really ran good after that. WOW,
had all kinds of pulling power and got 16 MPG empty.
LB