Lifting the front end wihout alot of $?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
magnumcid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sherbrooke
State: Foreign

Re: Lifting the front end wihout alot of $?

Post by magnumcid »

marvelous wrote: My 67 has 285-75-17's on it. If it was lifted it came that way?
Seems to be nearly a 34" tall tire :Thumbsup . Looks to be plenty of clearance. Do they rub? I'm looking for a mud tire so it'll be wider than those... What width rim are you running?

marvelous
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Puyallup
State: WA

Post by marvelous »

magnumcid wrote:
marvelous wrote: My 67 has 285-75-17's on it. If it was lifted it came that way?
Seems to be nearly a 34" tall tire :Thumbsup . Looks to be plenty of clearance. Do they rub? I'm looking for a mud tire so it'll be wider than those... What width rim are you running?
I believe 9 inch rim and no rub what so ever!

demulsion
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bremerton

Post by demulsion »

I'm mostly speaking from what I've read on here over the years, but I believe you can run a 35" tire on a '61-'68 Power Wagon, and only a 33" tire on a '69-71 W series (without trimming anything).

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Innisfail

Post by Boons »

My 68 tucks away 35s pretty tightly, even with the flat front springs.
Going to swap the front springs and trim the fenders for when I get 37s.

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

marvelous wrote:My 67 has 285-75-17's on it. If it was lifted it came that way?
It kinda looks lifted from the angle in this shot, but after looking at my own PW, with stock springs, maybe not. As I look at how far below the bottom of the body that the top of the axle is, it seems to match my truck. When I got the PW donor truck for my project, it was rolling on 36" 12.50x15 Buckshots. They tucked well as I recall. Up front, there was a slight trim to the very bottom points of the wheel openings, to clear the tires when it made hard turns while flexed out. I'm guessing that the springs are about gone after all these years, and maybe if the springs were in good shape, the trimming wouldn't be necessary. :thinking My point though, is that most people could probably get away with 36's on the streets and mild trails with no problems. I really didn't drive mine around before tearing it down to find out. :pale

I'm really diggin' that front bumper. :Thumbsup I'm thinking I may have to build something similar for the front of mine. I'd bet that it makes working up front alot nicer, having a place to stand or at least kneel. :lol: :Thumbsup

CrazyMatt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hayden, Idaho
State: ID

Post by CrazyMatt »

I was gonna go look at that truck and buy it. Idea was to retire my wagon- I really wanna shortbed tho...

Far as lift 2wd springs off a 3/4 ton or some of the chevy springs will work.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

demulsion wrote:I'm mostly speaking from what I've read on here over the years, but I believe you can run a 35" tire on a '61-'68 Power Wagon, and only a 33" tire on a '69-71 W series (without trimming anything).
Yeah, I seem to remember hearing the 61-68 4 wheel drive trucks sat higher from the factory than the 69-71 trucks.

magnumcid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sherbrooke

Post by magnumcid »

Boons wrote:My 68 tucks away 35s pretty tightly, even with the flat front springs.
Going to swap the front springs and trim the fenders for when I get 37s.
I think your truck illustrates best the fender clearance of our trucks. My truck is definately higher than yours so I should be able to run 35s no problem. Probably go with 35x12.5x16 BFG M/Ts (if i can find some) on 8 or 9" wide rims. Haven't decided on backspacing yet (the rims will likely be bought new, the tires secondhand). Thanks for the replies guys! Now back to the original poster's problem... :lol: The 2WD spring swap seems like the best option if you want higher than stock. If you want it level with the rear then some (less worn) 4WD springs should do nicely! :2cents

marvelous
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Puyallup

Post by marvelous »

[
I'm really diggin' that front bumper. :Thumbsup I'm thinking I may have to build something similar for the front of mine. I'd bet that it makes working up front alot nicer, having a place to stand or at least kneel. :lol: :Thumbsup[/quote]
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-006S.JPG
It is great to stand on and each side has a built in tool box to boot! :Thumbsup

rx1mtnman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Harlowton
State: MT

Post by rx1mtnman »

marvelous wrote:[
I'm really diggin' that front bumper. :Thumbsup I'm thinking I may have to build something similar for the front of mine. I'd bet that it makes working up front alot nicer, having a place to stand or at least kneel. :lol: :Thumbsup
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-006S.JPG
It is great to stand on and each side has a built in tool box to boot! :Thumbsup[/quote]

Could you post up some close-ups of your front bumper? I am looking to do something similar on mine for a place to store tire chains, tow rope, etc.

Love the color of your truck!