Warped rotors

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Warped rotors

Post by jimmy »

I have the 92' D60 in my crew cab. I replaced pads, rotors, and calipers last spring.
I rarely tow and when I do I have trailer brakes. My new rotors are warped as bad as the rotors I removed. So bad they howl like a dog that treed a mountain lion.
First few stops of the day are fine, once they get warmed from regular driving and stopping at lights I can't stand it.

Is this a problem with this eara/design or did I get a crappy set of rotors?

Everyone is telling me I need the rotors turned one the hub, on the truck. This will true everything up as it sits on the truck. Makes sence, I've just never had to do it before.

Anyone have this probelm? Seems my truck is way over braked, with the D60 front and the D70 rear with the large drums. The truck stops effortlessly and straight.

I kind of thought the brakes would last for years, not months!

any help is great
thanks

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Churchton
State: MD

Re: Warped rotors

Post by surfnuke9 »

Mine on my 93 D60 squeal in the morning and then for only a short time. They were VERY overheated on the first drive due to sticking master cylinder also.

Got a new set of pads...we will see how that goes.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

The problem is chinese rotors. Maybe try these folks...http://brakeperformance.com/

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

I was wandering about that, My parts man at Motion Auto has been telling me that he has just as many problems with the American Rotors. Even American steel is getting crappy. We see this with Railcars too.

I asked a few more people, the answer was all the same. Have the rotors turn on he truck. So I dropped it off at Les Shwab at noon with very clear instructions,1. Only turn the front rotors, 2. Everything is new all the way around. 3. Don't do any thing else. So I sat around the house all day, they never called so I was on my way by running around town at five pm and had my wife drop me off. I walk into the shop my truck is up with all four wheels off. I jumped all over the guy as he begins to tell me it will be another 30 minutes before he can even start on it. I stand around and wait, he finally drags the machine over and realizes that the piece that fits over the hub is not long enuf to clear the long dodge hub even with the locking hub section removed. I'm still mad to say the least.

tinbasher
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cache Creek
State: CA

Post by tinbasher »

hard to say exactly, but i think this rotor has about 4000 miles on it after the lining came off... it looks like these are made of multiple pieces. maybe that's part of the problem?
Attachments
woreout2.jpg
woreout1.jpg

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

Your freaking me out. I'll inspect mine very closely.

Thanks for the heads up!

j2007
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 58318
State: ND

Post by j2007 »

Generally from what I have found recutting warped rotors does not work real well, however this depends on how much needs to be cut off. What brand were the pads and rotors?
First jack the truck up and see if the wheels are turning freely. Usually once they are warped they are bad even when cool(first few stops of the day). Something is rubbing them as you go to get them progressivly hotter. :2cents

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

Raybestos Pads
I don't recall what brand rotors.

After talking with experts this is what I did.

1. The noise is coming from what is called sharp pads. the solution remove pads and grind a the leading edge.
2. seperate the rotors and hubs, sand the two the mating serfaces. I had rust between the two so I know I didn't have a perfect seat.
3. intall studs and torque then hit the studs useing punch and hammer from the back side while lugs are pulling. retorque.

I still have warped rotors, but at least when I have then turned I know the hubs are seated to the rotors properly.
The noise is mostly gone.