Inexpensive lift?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Outlaw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Antone
State: TX

Inexpensive lift?

Post by Outlaw »

Hey, guys... i'm never in the 4x4 section but i figured you guys could help out.

I have a 68 2wd Camper Special, D200. I just got some 33 M/T given to me that i'm wanting to throw on my truck. I'd like to lift it about 3" before i do. I was going to block the front & back until someone told me thats a horrible idea for the front. I found a skyjacker kit but i'm not trying to spend $475 plus another $100 on shocks.

Is there a cheap/cheaper alternative i can do to achieve a 2.5" - 3" lift on my truck?

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Innisfail
State: Foreign

Re: Inexpensive lift?

Post by Boons »

Body lift is cheap and very easy, also could do a shackle flip in the rear but that might be to much.
Ide also say trim your fenders but that might be out of the question also.
Blocks in front is a big no no.

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm
State: WA

Post by crusty »

I am not sure a bodylift would work with the steering column. I would say drop bracket/longer shackles for the front and a block for the rear.

Sterno
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kelowna, BC Canada

Post by Sterno »

I'm usually not a fan of Body lifts because they do nothing to help with suspension travel and articulation.
BUT
If all you're looking for is a slightly higher stance on a 2wd truck, I'd say why not. Saves all the headaches wiith steering geometry since there's very little in the aftermarket for us Swepty fans.

Points to watch out for are Clutch linkage if manual and steering column (and column shifter if 3spd/Auto) although 2-3 inches shouldn't be too much of a problem, you may have to fab a new steering column bracket and floor plate.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

I understand not wanting to spend the money, but I wouldn't think of doing it any other way than the sky jacker.

Body lift mean the mess of all the rusty bolts and you still ahve to buy or make blocks. Crusty's point about steering colume and box alighnment could be a mess also.

Go to Pick and pull and get some used 3/4 ton 4x4 front springs from anything up to 93' will fit. I have 93' front springs in my crew cab and it lifted several inches, compaired to the worn out factory springs. I think our pick and pull sells spring pairs for about 50bucks.