Stupidest idea ever?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Adam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Stupidest idea ever?

Post by Adam »

I've wanted to swap a diesel into my '68 W300 for some time. Its currently "powered" by a slant six, which runs fine and in no way requires immediate replacement. A buddy of mine has a turbo charged Cat 3306 (10.4 liter, 800 ft-lb @ 2200 RPM) with about 200 hours on it that I can have for a song. This is a truck motor. How dumb is it to think I can shoe horn this thing into my PW. Let the criticisms begin now...
PW & Jeep in snow.jpg

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Stupidest idea ever?

Post by digdoug »

It only weighs a ton more than the /6. :lol:

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

I wouldn't say "Stupid" but I have to wonder... "why"? :thinking I am from the "OLD SCHOOL" that says... "If it aint broke...don't fix it" :lol: So if the old Slant Six is working fine.... eh... why bother? That being said, What would be the advantage of doing all that work? First... you have to buy the engine. Second, you have to do all sorts of "work" to fit it in... fabricating all sorts of things. Will the diesel gauge sending units work with the stock dash gauges? Third, Diesel fuel is more money than gas. It would take a long time to "make back" what you would save. OK... those are my thoughts. Good Luck! :salut

Jim

magnumcid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sherbrooke
State: Foreign

Post by magnumcid »

Adam wrote:A buddy of mine has a turbo charged Cat 3306 (10.4 liter, 800 ft-lb @ 2200 RPM) with about 200 hours on it that I can have for a song... Let the criticisms begin now...
My only criticism is that you haven't bought the motor yet... :2cents

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

Stupidest idea ever???.... :thinking :thinking No, NOT drilling in Alaska has that title. :usa
digdoug said what I was thinking. You'l need to beef up the front springs, and everything else. That kind of torgue will destroy your truck with out some frame work.

I like it, I say go for it. Take lots of pictures. Keep them posted.

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn

Post by PowerMan »

Cummins diesel conversion is the next project on my list. One of my buddies just bought a '95 Cummins parts truck and it going to install it into his 1969 W300. Another one of my buddies put a '96 12 valve cummins into his M37 and it is the one of the coolest trucks I've ever seen:

I've been looking for a '94-'98 12 valve for a while and it will end up going in my 1965 W200 Crew Cab for a tow rig/driver. There have been at least three trucks on the forum that I know of that have cummins diesels in their sweptlines. It is one of the best motors ever built and is perfect for a conversion.

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

Diesels+Sweptines= perfection!! The only problem I see with your scenario is gear ratios... The 3306 is NOT gonna like the 4.88's or 5.13's in your dana 70's without some serious tire height or overdrive action. For example, the early 6bt/727 (non-OD) in my 4.10 equipped W200 requires 42" tall tires to equal the factory 3.07 ratio/ 235/85R16 relationship. Also, the added weight of the 3306 coupled with the factory drums would make me hesitant. You could do a newer/bigger chassis, or different axles, but when you start in that direction you might as well find a more-common D series (or an inoperable W series) donor, and spare the life of your surviving W :2cents ...

68dually
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: turbotville
State: PA

Post by 68dually »

the 3306 is going to be very heavy and you'll have to change the tranny too. if the truck won't be an every day driver then you won't have to worry about the 6 to 7 mile per gallon fuel mileage. you'll also have to do alot of fab work with all the linkages , mounts and driveline. if your buddy still has the truck the motor was in maybe you could do a body swap easier. personally , i think you should save your money and buy yourself a 9ft bed to put on that thing and really make a sweet truck. randal

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

I have driven 3406 Cats in class 8 semis years back but not 3306's so I am not sure about them. However I don't think they are lot smaller weight wise and you may be biting off more than the rig can possibly handle. I would check into that before I bought anything. I think the statement about being a ton heavier than the slant 6 might even be a bit optimistic. Class 7 and 8 diesels are waaaay bigger than what one would normally see in pickups.

Adam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles

Post by Adam »

Yeah...even if the project is not in the least bit reasonable, but fun to fathom. The CAT diesel sounds pretty awesome and 800 ft-lbs of torque would be ridiculous. I just wish I could pick up a 6BT or a turbo Perkins 6.354 mated to a gearbox mounted to a skid with a radiator and gauges for the price I can pick up the CAT for: free.
Thanks for the input guys.

one54dodgetruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: rochester

Post by one54dodgetruck »

body swap is the way to go! check out my 66 w200 crew on a 95 international 4700 with a dt466 and 5 speed
andrew

one54dodgetruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: rochester

Post by one54dodgetruck »

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26700 guess i can post the link