5 speed manual transmissions

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Johns67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ashland
State: MT

5 speed manual transmissions

Post by Johns67 »

Been a while since I posted anything. Wanted to know how difficult it would be to get and install a 5 speed manual trans.?

I have a 1967 Dodge D-200 and turned it into a 4x4.

The trans in it now is a NP435.

Front ends a Dana 44 -4.09 and the rear is a Dana 60- 4.10.

What would the 5 speed number be?
What do they sell for?

Thanks!~Johns67

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: 5 speed manual transmissions

Post by digdoug »

A np540 is bolt in. You need to change the clutch disk to the 1 3/8 10 spline center and shorten drive shaft 2". The most important thing to watch for is to get the right length input shaft,as early trucks used shorter input shafts than yours.As far as finding one,its dumb luck.

Johns67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Johns67 »

Thanks!~for the info. Just thought it would be nice to have that extra gear.

I think my NP435 is a 11 splines. Not a problem with the drive shaft between the trans and transfer case.

Not many old Dodges left around here in southeast Montana.

I guess the price of metal is getting pretty high.

Every day I see flat bed trailers hauling cars, trucks, and what ever else they can find out of town.

One of my friends just quit his job to go haul metal.
Maybe I'll have to try and find that NP540 on line.

Thank you!~John

Sterno
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kelowna, BC Canada

Post by Sterno »

Note:
There are 2 variants of the np540. one is the usual type with a 1 to 1 fourth gear and an OD 5th and the other type is called a "short 4th" where 5th gear is 1 to 1 and there's no overdrive.
I found 1 of these in a D700 and was planning to use it in my w100 until i found out it was the short 4th type. The extra gear is useful if you're pulling massive loads, but it won't give you OD.

:2cents

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Here are the ratios listed in my 67 fsm.

5th...1.00-1
4th...1.48-1
3rd...2.40-1
2nd...4.05-1
1rst...7.41-1
rev...7.85-1

540 Short 4th
5th...1.00-1
4th...1.16-1
3rd...1.84-1
2nd...3.31-1
1rst...6.06-1
rev...6.42-1
My fsm has no listings for an overdrive tranny

Johns67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Johns67 »

This pretty interesting, so if I don't use the 1st gear (granny gear) on my 4 speed transmission do they make a transmission that is geared better?

What I'm getting at is there a 4 speed (manual) transmission better than the NP435 that I would use 1st gear and by the time I get to 4 gear it would be like over drive?

Thanks!~John

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Johns67 wrote:This pretty interesting, so if I don't use the 1st gear (granny gear) on my 4 speed transmission do they make a transmission that is geared better?

What I'm getting at is there a 4 speed (manual) transmission better than the NP435 that I would use 1st gear and by the time I get to 4 gear it would be like over drive?

Thanks!~John
There are a couple of 435s.....
One with granny low [6.68:1] and
another with a [?] 4.56:1 low.

There's also an NP445 close ratio
4spd that was used in Sweptlines.

John :study

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

The 445 is a nice tranny,as first is syncroed.It is still 1-1 in fourth.
I just picked up a getrag G360 /205 combo. I got it for a song. :dance I was thinking spare parts for my 91,but looking it over,It may be a dooable swap for my 67 crew.
The top two holes line up perfect.The bottom holes would have to be drilled in the bellhouseing. The throughout bearing is a perfect fit.I would have to run a bushing into the large hole in the back of the crank ,as the input is shorter, and use a 1-1/4 " centered ten spline disk from a late 80s early 90s ford 1ton truck w/460(cut down from 12 1/4" to 11 7/8"). :thinking Then drivelines... :lol: I'm getting tired just thinking about it. :joker
Last edited by digdoug on Mon May 30, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

Wow Doug, you're right (as usual :lol: )! I could've sworn I saw an overdrive trans listed in the '67 FSM when looking years ago, but I just looked and there isn't! I know a buddy of mine who's big into 300 series+ was talking a few years ago about a 540 that was overdrive- he said school buses were the most likely place to find one in the '71-'72 model years, but maybe he was mistaken... Anyways, the G360 would be great in the crew cab- you should save yourself the pain of fabbing it to the crew's current power plant and bolt it to a cummins first, though :lol: :joker :lol: ! And John- have you considered a newer transmission? If you have a 318 in your truck you might be able to snag everything from the block back off of a mid-90's 2wd dodge with a 5.2L or 5.9L V8 with the 5 speed and work them into the mix... Some fab work will be required as you'd have to make a crossmember to support the back of the trans (original rear mount is cast into your original bellhousing)... Just a thought... A Ram 1500 or 2500 trans might work, or even one out of a Dakota. Of course, length may be an issue and you might end up having to move the t-case back... :2cents

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

TROUBLE MAKER! :lol: :joker :lol:

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Here it is so far . I just mocked it up on a small block bellhousing,for now.I have a choke ring for the bearing retainer and extended pilot bushing on back order.I'm not going to order the clutch disk and do the big block one until those other items show up.
trans swap 1.jpg
trans swap 2.jpg

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Well, my pilot bearing and choke ring came in,so I ordered a clutch disk and took the tranny and transfer case out of the crew cab. I bolted the jig that I made onto the big block bell and... :banghead It wont work! There isn't enough meat on the bottom of the big block hydraulic bell to drill the bottom holes. :pale Oh well, maybe I will put the getrag in Rosanna's truck,It could use the overdrive ,with its 4.88 gears. :thinking

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

Oh man that sucks, I was looking forward to see how it worked.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

I just got back from the driveline shop. The G360 is in my crew ! It wasn't cheap ,fast, or easy,but IT ROCKS! :dance
G360 1x 3 inch pilot extension.jpg
Last edited by digdoug on Fri May 27, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

That last pic. was the pressed on pilot extension.Here is the choke ring for the front bearing retainer sizing (McLeod Racing #8701-2 from Summit). I ended up using the stock bushing,instead of the one in the picture.
Attachments
Mcloed Raceing 8701-2 choke ring.jpg
Last edited by digdoug on Sat May 28, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Here it is installed,prior to installing the x member and TC. I ended up using existing holes in the big block bell,and modding the lower ears...
G360 to bigblock.jpg

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Awesome!!! More pics! More pics!!! How did you mod the lower ears? Did you weld to the casting of the trans case? Build something to clamp the original ears down? I'm very curious!!! Also, what did you do for driveshaft yokes? I've heard of 32-spline 5380 yokes for the t-case outputs, but I'm envisioning the 1410 remaining on the t-case end. But on the front output- I'm guessing you replaced the flat flange mount with a yoke? Or did you rummage up a '75-'02 front shaft to use the flange (and maybe work perfectly with the front dana 60, though I don't if you're running the original 7290 yoke on it...) Lastly, how do the ratios of the getrag feel behind the big block? I'm guessing way different than your cummins due to the completely different torque curves, but does it get the 383 right in the "pulling" range from gear to gear? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but i'm extremely intrigued by this development!

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

The big block has a lower bolt on each side,as opposed to just on one side on the small block bell.I found that with a very small amount of grinding on the lower ears ,I could get the bolts in.I cut a piece of tubing to fit against the ears,then welded a washer to it,then I bolted things up and welded the tube onto the flange. I had to ream out the upper holes in the G360,so I made them a very close fit.

For drive shafts,I Just used the stock front shaft from a 93 cummins truck with the 7290 joints.I bolted a 7290 yoke that I had to my D60 front. You can see in the picture that I bent the xmember flange up to clear the drive shaft when the springs are compressed.

For the rear shaft I used a two piece drive line from a Dodge 2 ton(5380) and had both tubes shortened at the drive line shop.I used a 5380-1410 conversion U-joint at the tranny output. They had a plate from a Suburban that he bolted to the bottom of the X member to bolt the carrier bearing to.It is very sanitary.

Now the fun part. This thing drives nothing like my cummins truck. The ratios are PERFECT for the 383.It makes it feel like I just added 50 horse power. I can't wait to tow with it.

g360 to bigblock rear.jpg

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

:clap :clap :clap VERY NICE!!! :clap :clap :clap Makes me wonder how gutless a 6bt would feel with an NP435 stuffed behind it! So are you going to rework a few things to retain the twin-stick t-case shifter setup?

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Thank,Rob! I don't know that a 6bt would ever feel gutless :lol: ,but it sure is a different kind of power. My 383 is a 71 hp,so it has the lower compression(for a HP) which will be good on those hot days pulling the Lewiston hill,but still it winds up like crazy!In the picture you can see where the 3" pipe clamps to the stock truck exhaust.From there back it is basically a free flow out to behind the rear wheel.I even modded the TC x-member so I wouldn't have to put a bend in the pipe.It sounds wicked cool! It is really a lot of fun. It's like driving a 4x4 muscle car. :dance

I did a little bending on the 93 TC shifter to put it in the right place,and put one of those funky boots from the 69+ trucks on the shift lever. This truck is basically a pavement pounder,so I would rather not listen to the twin sticks rattling.I also will use the stock G360 shift lever and boot.They look and feel good. :Thumbsup

One more thing. Aside from a small bit of trimming for the TC shift lever,I had to do NO mods to the floor! Everything cleared nicely.