5 speed manual transmissions

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Re: 5 speed manual transmissions

Post by jimmy »

very cool.

bamf6988
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by bamf6988 »

One more option for a 5speed manual is the NV4500 used in the 93 - 2000ish 3/4 and 1ton Ram trucks, has a granny low 1st and OD 5th. They are expensive unless you find a good deal or someone parting something out that dosn't know what it worth but they are strong and have a nice modern shift feel. I am geting ready to swap one into my 69 W200 I will start a build thread once im under way. Mine is a very early one that was in a 93 1/2 ton 99% of people will tell you that that combo never existed (us included we thought it must have been swaped into that truck when we found it) but it is a NV4500 not a Getrag but uses the oddball 23spline input shaft of the getrag (all 94 up dodge 4500's use a 1 1/8-10spline input). Looks like it will be a fairly easy swap will be using a NP241D t-case as well as it is already atached to the tranny, It's not as strong as the NP205 but its close and has a better low range ratio of 2.72 to 1 vs. 1.96 to 1 for the 205 so it will help make up for the 5.60ish to 1 1st gear in the 4500. Only thing im not sure on yet is what im going to do with the clutch linkage the stock setup on the NV4500 is a push type hydro. clutch and my truck being a 69 has a mech linkage setup, I thought about changing over to a earlyer style hydro clutch pedals ext but looking at it im guessing that the change to mech style was due to the power brake booster, looks like a slave wont fit between the booster and fuse box anyone know if there was a factory power brake/hydro clutch used on these trucks? I do have axcess to the needed machineing equipt to modify the stock 69 bellhousing to fit the trans (we have already done this with a big block bell when this trans was in a 440 powered scout) but its a pain in the A$$. Other option is chage the vac. brake booster to a hydro boost (have it and am installing cross over power sterring and a dana 60 ft axle at the same time) and then use the hydro clutch setup with the late model small block bell that came on the trans. Sorry if I have gone a little overboard on my post.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

bamf6988 wrote: anyone know if there was a factory power brake/hydro clutch used on these trucks?
Yes. There was a standoff bracket for the booster that set it away from the firewall.

http://sweptline.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... ff#p136429

bamf6988
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by bamf6988 »

cool thanks I was thinking about building something of that sort, I will have to check a few yards out in the sticks that have a few trucks and see whats there first.

JeffTheMarine
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by JeffTheMarine »

My plans are to put a NV4500 into my truck. DigDug I think you have a great setup there. My truck is a 383 right now. My ideas were to go Cummins but I am thinking just a 383 with a 5speed would be a better idea. My understanding is that the G360 Getrag are a lot harder to find parts for. The NV4500 were used in more applications from what I have found. It looks like in the picture the clutch fork comes out on the passenger side. How does that work? Are you set up to have it with a hydraulic slave cylinder coming from passenger side to your clutch pedal? Also I have messed with the 2002 slave cylinder setup and I know it is not able to be bled. Does anyone know if the 91-93 style trucks have hydraulic slaves and if they can be bled? Also DigDug I am from Spokane and going to be back up there soon so we will have to meet up when I move back up there in May

Jeff

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

where did you get the pilot bushing extension?

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Jeff,
I used the 67s hydraulic clutch master and slave and bellhousing. To be honest,If I were to do it again ,I wouldn't. Although the ratio splits are nice on the 5 speed,the overdrive gives no improvement in gas mileage. Sure you can go scary fast,but a cummins 6bt would get twice the mileage both empty and towing.

Steve,

My brother in law turned out the extension on his lathe for me.

Doug

EarlKann
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by EarlKann »

digdoug wrote:Jeff,
I used the 67s hydraulic clutch master and slave and bellhousing. To be honest,If I were to do it again ,I wouldn't. Although the ratio splits are nice on the 5 speed,the overdrive gives no improvement in gas mileage. Sure you can go scary fast,but a cummins 6bt would get twice the mileage both empty and towing.

Steve,

My brother in law turned out the extension on his lathe for me.

Doug

This is interesting and true. I have a 93 D250 with a 5.2 & NV4500 5 speed. It gets about 12.5 to 13.5 mpg, IMO not a big improvement in mpg, but it does have a faster top speed on the highway.

JeffTheMarine
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JeffTheMarine »

Well if that is the case then I suppose there is no reason to do it. The main reason I was thinking about just putting a 5 speed behind my 383 was so I could get decent mileage to drive it daily. If that's not the case then I suppose that I will just say to hell with it and stick with my idea of just going with the Cummins! Roalin COAL!!

Jeff

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

I have heard that before about OD. it is because at speeds over 55 mph the wind resistance is so much it just takes a certain amount of energy to push the sheet of plywood shaped front end thru the air. your foot will be deeper into the pedal at 65 in OD than it would without OD, but rpms would be lower so it is 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. This is a great thread. I am still inspired to possibly convert to 5 speed anyway. Or I have a Borg WArner OD off of an old three speed I might modify to mount where my carrier bearing is.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

forgot, you would get better mileage with OD IF you did NOT drive faster! :lol: at 55 in OD you would probalby get better mileage than no OD at 55

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

For what it's worth, the 1974-77 medium duty trucks (500+ series) used a bellhousing that had provision for clutch fork to be used on either side of the bellhousing. Most came with 435 & 540 trannys. Also some has SAE bells & clark transmissions. :2cents

Bucky

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Kaegi wrote:I have heard that before about OD. it is because at speeds over 55 mph the wind resistance is so much it just takes a certain amount of energy to push the sheet of plywood shaped front end thru the air. your foot will be deeper into the pedal at 65 in OD than it would without OD, but rpms would be lower so it is 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. This is a great thread. I am still inspired to possibly convert to 5 speed anyway. Or I have a Borg WArner OD off of an old three speed I might modify to mount where my carrier bearing is.
Kaegi wrote:forgot, you would get better mileage with OD IF you did NOT drive faster! :lol: at 55 in OD you would probably get better mileage than no OD at 55
I have to agree with you on both points. And if a guy has 4.88 gears OD would help in highway driving SOO much.
It all comes down to the towing aspect with me.Its hard to stay out of the throttle when pulling a goose-neck camp trailer,and I don't even use the OD when towing.It would also help if I didn't live in the hilliest place in the world. The farmers here say "God made the soil on the palouse so good that he turned it on edge so you could farm both sides."

JeffTheMarine
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JeffTheMarine »

This is interesting and true. I have a 93 D250 with a 5.2 & NV4500 5 speed. It gets about 12.5 to 13.5 mpg, IMO not a big improvement in mpg, but it does have a faster top speed on the highway.
What rear end gears are you running?

Jeff

JeffTheMarine
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by JeffTheMarine »

I have to agree with you on both points. And if a guy has 4.88 gears OD would help in highway driving SOO much.
It all comes down to the towing aspect with me.Its hard to stay out of the throttle when pulling a goose-neck camp trailer,and I don't even use the OD when towing.It would also help if I didn't live in the hilliest place in the world. The farmers here say "God made the soil on the palouse so good that he turned it on edge so you could farm both sides."
I have to agree, one of my favorite pass times in my teenage years was taking drives along the Palouse highway in Spokane, that area around there the rolling hills and random wooded areas are gorgeous. That is why I love the Pacific Northwest. My wife convinced me to move down here to the Boise area and I really hate it. It's like being in the high desert almost. Mostly flat and hardly any trees. Northern Idaho is the probably one of my favorite places to live.

Jeff

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Kaegi »

digdoug wrote:
Kaegi wrote:I have heard that before about OD. it is because at speeds over 55 mph the wind resistance is so much it just takes a certain amount of energy to push the sheet of plywood shaped front end thru the air. your foot will be deeper into the pedal at 65 in OD than it would without OD, but rpms would be lower so it is 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. This is a great thread. I am still inspired to possibly convert to 5 speed anyway. Or I have a Borg WArner OD off of an old three speed I might modify to mount where my carrier bearing is.
Kaegi wrote:forgot, you would get better mileage with OD IF you did NOT drive faster! :lol: at 55 in OD you would probably get better mileage than no OD at 55
I am running the 4.88s in the D300 as you probalby already knew. that is why I really like the 19.5s. at 34 inches tall I can run over 60 all day. mileage is better at 55-58 though. I could run over 60 with the shorter 16s on my flatbed with 4.88s but that was poly powered and more rpm friendly than the 225. I use dto wind up the flatbed with poly to 75 plus sometimes! sounded GREAT with dual exhaust and glass packs :usa