What are running for a trans?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
centralwildcat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

What are running for a trans?

Post by centralwildcat »

I was curious as to what transmission most PWs are running? Anyone have a 435 set up with their TC? Picts??? mattc :salut

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: What are running for a trans?

Post by digdoug »

Are you talking maried?

centralwildcat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by centralwildcat »

Yes...

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

I am running a married SM465/205 in mine. :pale :pale :shame :banghead

centralwildcat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by centralwildcat »

Russ, is that 205 the "all time 4wd"? I heard they are "no bueno"?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

centralwildcat wrote:Russ, is that 205 the "all time 4wd"? I heard they are "no bueno"?
I think 203 is full time, 205 is part time. usually

Bucky

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

centralwildcat wrote:Russ, is that 205 the "all time 4wd"? I heard they are "no bueno"?
205 is one of the best transfercases made. It is cast iron and gear driven. Unfortunately it only has a 1.96 low range which isn't really that low.

The 203 isn't bad but is full time and chain driven. It is also cast iron. They can be converted to part time. Most modern transfercases are chain driven.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

centralwildcat wrote:I was curious as to what transmission most PWs are running? Anyone have a 435 set up with their TC? Picts??? mattc :salut
Stock Sweptlines had a short shaft between the
tranny and TC. The NP201 twin stick was used
through '68. In '69, the NP205 single lever TC
showed up. Both of these TCs are strong. :Thumbsup
I have a '68W200 and a '65W200 with the NP435/NP201
set up. I'm working on a D to W conversion which
will involve yet another NP435/NP201 combination.
John

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by RussRoth »

soopernaut wrote:
205 is one of the best transfercases made. It is cast iron and gear driven. Unfortunately it only has a 1.96 low range which isn't really that low.
It's a part time cast iron case. Many complain about the 1.96 low as mentioned but for me it has worked fine. The original 201 had the same so there was no change in that. The SM465 has a lower first gear than the original NP435 which had the close ratios. That was not the reason for the Chevy gear box. I wanted an OD/gear splitter that could be used in 4x. The only one I could find that I could use the way I wanted was built by Advance Adapters. Unfortunately they no longer build them to fit a Dodge tranny and refused to do it no matter how many times I called and begged. They were willing to build the front of it to fit my bell housing and I would have to switch to a Ford or Chevy gear box. The drop on the Ford is on the wrong side and finding a Chevy setup with a NP trans was almost impossible. That would have been my preference but have only seen one in the last ten years. Too late by then. :pale

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm
State: WA

Post by crusty »

So, if I understand this right, you used a dodge input Ranger with a SM465 2wd? How do you like the ranger?

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

centralwildcat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by centralwildcat »

Doug,Yes...just wondering what the pieces of the puzzle might be?! I guess there is so much more to it than I thought...a little overwhelming.mattc

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by RussRoth »

crusty wrote:So, if I understand this right, you used a dodge input Ranger with a SM465 2wd? How do you like the ranger?
The Ranger is built with a Dodge front to fit my bell housing/clutch and the back end is built to allow an SM465 to bolt up. The unit works great but tends to be a bit noisy in OD. I am on the ragged edge for torque capacity of the Ranger but have had no issues. While I mostly drive pretty easy I'm not bashful at times about the accelerator pedal hitting the floor. :clap :lol:

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

The 435/205 married combo is really good. You get rid of the shudders that you get with the divorced unit.
Last edited by digdoug on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm

Post by crusty »

RussRoth wrote: The unit works great but tends to be a bit noisy in OD.
I have heard this from another person as well. How would you rate it overall in terms of tolerability? Is it kind of like the sound of a turbo whine going down the road? Tolerable, but there, or more obnoxious than that?

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by RussRoth »

crusty wrote:
RussRoth wrote: The unit works great but tends to be a bit noisy in OD.
I have heard this from another person as well. How would you rate it overall in terms of tolerability? Is it kind of like the sound of a turbo whine going down the road? Tolerable, but there, or more obnoxious than that?
Well, I don't really know how to answer that since what is tolerable for me may not be for others. My wife can't stand it although she complains about the CTD also. :pale :lol: As a comparison many years ago (70's) I drove a '71 Diamond Reo with a double OD 13 speed and it was considerably noisier than this is but kind of the same type sound. I would say it is on a par with the noise my 4x4 makes normally going down the road but adds another layer of sound. I have wrapped the sticks (old trucker trick) with foam and a plastic sheething over that which has helped to an extent. I want to try some sound deadener eventually since mine overall is noisier than most anyway. It is tolerable for me and Jeff Claire has ridden in it and never said anything about noise. His rigs are all 2x's but he does drive truck and run heavy equipment so maybe it has something to do with what you are used to.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane

Post by jimmy »

Matt,
My 69' was a 435 with 205 factory set up. I hated the four speed, crappy shifting and noise thing.
Aas four the 205, like everyone says they are tuff, I have no issue with it.

This thanksgiving I have thanks to my self and installed a Short shaft 727 with bolt on rear yoke.

I love it. The truck is wife friendly to drive(if she has to) and I can have my cup of coffee on the way to work now. She wouldn't touch it with the 435. First thing she said after I installed the auto was the truck was much smother and quiter.

The tranny has a mild shift kit, I shift it with a B&M shifter a friend gave me that I will change to a steering column shift some day.

contact One54dodgetruck he has a Crew cab power wagon chassis he may be selling. Its got a good running 383 & 727. look at his build at the member build section.