mounting a winch

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
willys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: hollister
State: CA

mounting a winch

Post by willys »

I need some help ,advise or idea's I have a 69 D100 turned to a 4x4,pto and winch. the former owner welded the winch frame to his truck frame/chassis and I don't want to my weld it to my truck.what to do ,what not to do.

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Re: mounting a winch

Post by RussRoth »

Bolt it on.

willys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by willys »

3- 2-11 036.JPG
this is what I'm trying to get across.the winch frame is narrower then the truck chassis frame. I considered bolting it on only after I found out I was out of crazy glue.
Attachments
3- 2-11 042.JPG
3- 2-11 038.JPG

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn

Post by PowerMan »

Here's a picture of the winch on the W300.
If you are lucky you might find the original frame work from a factory braden lu-2 winch. When Dodge installed these winches on the Power Wagon's,(on the W100 and W200's) the winch frame work went on the outside of the frame while on the W300 and W500's the winch frame work slipped on the inside of the frame. The angle iron that the winch is bolted to, is not 90 degrees. It is a less than 90 degrees to get the winch mounted at an upward angle. One of our buddies at the local metal shop made up the frame work for the winch (the frame channels, angle iron and winch cable guide). These winches are hard to come by so it will be hard to find the original frame work.
What brand of winch are you planning on installing?

Have you ever heard of the California Dodge Power Wagon Rally in Hollister. It is going to be memorial weekend May 27-29. Here's more info and registration should be up soon: http://dodgepowerwagon.com/main/events.html#cali
I should be up there with a couple of trucks with winches so if you need to get measurements then you are welcome to or if you are ever down in Paso Robles let me know before hand and you're welcome to come on up to check out the winch setups I've got.

willys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by willys »

I have a ramsey winch. the frame for the winch is pitched upward. the winch frame was welded to a piece of angle iron (left to right )and the angle iron was welded to the truck with the excess mat. from the angel iron cut off flush to the truck chassis and when the winch was removed it was cut off w/ torch ( differnt truck and owner )at the truck chassis rails. I wanted to try and build mounts(.5 plate) that slip in between the frame of the truck and are welded to the winch frame, the chassis rails don't look like their straight . like the rails are are pitched inward left to right that would make contact if the rails were long enough and welding mounts to the winch frame that would slip into the chassis rails,the winch frame might not come out if I had to take the winch frame off. my concern is the strength of the winch to stay on and not to move up or down. I'm not in the business of recovery I want it be something I don't need to think worry about. it looks like I'm a bag of wind but it I fell I need to decribe it so i don't see comment like "bolt it on" . yes I know about the RALLY that I miss every year by a week or two. this time I scratched the dates into my laptop screen so as I can't forget. thank you

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

When you asked, "bolt it on" seemed like the right answer to me too.
If you have a torch, plasma cutter, or angle grinder you might be able to cut that winch bracket apart and make it fit. Maybe drill more holes? Are you going with a pto winch?
jim

willys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by willys »

yes I have a pto and I have plasma,arc welder but I do not have a drill press. the plasma will substiute for the drill press.I did not ask about"bolting it on" ,I was being a smart @#% because I felt RussRoth was being a smart @#%. now after the crying has stopped I'm going to use the old bumper mounts to mount the winch frame. as I said my main concern is whether the winch frame is going to move up or down.

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by RussRoth »

willys wrote:yes I have a pto and I have plasma,arc welder but I do not have a drill press. the plasma will substitute for the drill press.I did not ask about"bolting it on" ,I was being a smart @#% because I felt RussRoth was being a smart @#%. now after the crying has stopped I'm going to use the old bumper mounts to mount the winch frame. as I said my main concern is whether the winch frame is going to move up or down.
Not at all. That's the way every winch I have seen is installed. I thought you just didn't see the obvious and had no idea how to do the job. One of your questions was what to do. I gave a pretty simple answer. Now that you posted pictures one can see it is a bit more involved.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

My 1972 LU-2 Braden winch frame mounts inside the truck frame, just like the one in the pic by powerman......and its from a W200.....but maybe frame widths changed from the sweptline 100/200's

Bucky

willys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by willys »

one thing I did'nt mention is the whole winch/pto set up may have started life as a unit on a tractor or in the AG industry.I was told a keyed shaft (that I have) is AG and a splined shaft is automotive. by the look of the angle iron that is welded to the winch frame and how much more narrow it is to the truck chassis it was maybe a piece of farm equipment. thank you

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by RussRoth »

Mine is a Ramsey put on new in late '67 and it's keyed. Never heard that before.

angw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wil
State: Foreign

Post by angw »

Hello,

Just removed winch (temporally) from my w300, below are some pictures showing location, also note angle!

PS: will indroduce myself later on......

BR/ werner
Attachments
note angle of winch
note angle of winch
IMGP2311.JPG
IMGP2309.JPG
Mounted with L-bar on frame
Mounted with L-bar on frame

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Welcome to the site! Care to post more pics of that nice looking 300?
jim