drilling holes for t-case hanger

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

drilling holes for t-case hanger

Post by Jim100 »

Are there any tricks or secrets for locating the t-case hanger holes when putting W components on a D frame? Do you drill them a little big for adjustment etc?
Thanks, jim

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: drilling holes for t-case hanger

Post by pwadventurer »

The first thing i would do is make a template of the original holes and the location back from a common point on both sides of the frame of the d series frame. Keep the holes to the same size as the bolts your using. You don't want to over size the hole. These were originaly riveted in and you don't want movement. If you didn't get a templet you'll have to get some measurements front to back and top to bottom on the frame. Once you have those rough in numbers, the final position of the t-case input and output yokes should be parallel to the trans yoke and diff yoke. The shop manual calls for no more than 1 degree out between the two yokes.

Rick

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

Thanks Rick.
jim

willys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: hollister
State: CA

Post by willys »

did you get this done?? I did this 4or5 years ago , a 3/4 4x4 to a 1/2 ton chassis and used a piece of cardboard w/ a hole in the frame ( W ) that matched the hole in the( D ) chassis as reference.a lot of measuriung for ref. I drilled the holes the same size as the T C hangers . I had issuse's w/ the drive lines and U-joints how about you ?

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

I am still in research/study buy parts ahead of time phase. I am going to do this project with the cab on. I dont know if this is crazy. Plus I have to wait for better weather.
One thing that concerns me is the removal and replacement of the hanger with the cab on because I think the frame rails need to be separated a bit?
jim

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Jim100 wrote:I am still in research/study buy parts ahead of time phase. I am going to do this project with the cab on. I dont know if this is crazy. Plus I have to wait for better weather.
One thing that concerns me is the removal and replacement of the hanger with the cab on because I think the frame rails need to be separated a bit?
jim
When putting a divorced 205 in a 78 W200 I had to use a hydraulic ram cylinder to separate the frame rails a bit.

Bucky

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

Can the rails be separated without unbolting the cab mounts?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

Jim100 wrote:Can the rails be separated without unbolting the cab mounts?
I don't recall unbolting the cab mounts. Both my vehicles were lifestyle era trucks, 72 & 78. of course the more stuff you loosen the easier it is to separate rails.
Bucky

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Jim100 wrote:Are there any tricks or secrets for locating the t-case hanger holes when putting W components on a D frame? Do you drill them a little big for adjustment etc?
Thanks, jim
What year D100 are you working with?
John

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

The d-100 is a 1966 and the w-100 which will provide the 4x4 gear is a 1970.
jim

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Jim100 wrote:The d-100 is a 1966 and the w-100 which will provide the 4x4 gear is a 1970.
jim
As I don't currently own a post-'68 W Series truck, I'm
assuming the t-case cross member to be a one piece
unit? :thinking The pre-'69 t-case cross members are
5 pieces..... four brackets and the frame member itself.
They're used for the NP201 case though....
John :2cents :study

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

John,
My 205 crossmember was one piece, bolted to the frame sidewall (not top lip).... 4 bolts per side I think.

Bucky

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

712edf wrote:John,
My 205 crossmember was one piece, bolted to the frame sidewall (not top lip).... 4 bolts per side I think.

Bucky
Bucky,
Was this a Sweptline?
John

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

No sir. I took a divorced 205 (with crossmember,PTO winch) from a 72 W200 & put it in a 78 W200.

Bucky

demulsion
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bremerton
State: WA

Post by demulsion »

Hobcobble wrote:As I don't currently own a post-'68 W Series truck, I'm assuming the t-case cross member to be a one piece unit?
'69-'71 Sweptlines use a one piece, riveted in place, crossmember. It requires stretching the frame 4+ inches to remove it! I plan to modify mine to make it a 5 piece unit before I install, as I'm not comfortable bending the frame that far on a truck I intend to keep...

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

Four inches. Ouch. Sounds like unbolting cab is required. This bracket looks like it could be the most difficult part of the project.
Thanks guys for the input. Keep it coming. It is so nice to get away from normal life and think about these trucks.
And I have to think and plan because nobody has really ever used the word mechanic in a description of me.
jim

willys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by willys »

I have a 69 d100 that I put a 67 w200 ,201 trans.case,front axel w/ springs and rear axel w/ springs on w/ no problem . the mount for the trans. case was 3 pieces . a mount on left and right of the frame and a center piece that mounted to the trans. case. a lot of measuring and a little bit of cussing to drill the holes for the trans. case mounts or hangers. I just dropped the T-case w/ a floor jack . if you need to spread the frame apart to drop or install the hanger it does not sound good. you have pic's?? I see in some of the replys that it looks as though everyone is talking a about different 2 diferent platforms . it sounds like a lot of work to mount a 1972 - (whatever year ) trans.case to a 1961-1971 chassis . is'nt the 205 a chain drive trans. case?? there are people on this forum who know their *#%^, but sometimes the info is a little vague.

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

My take on it is that post 68 powerwagons used a NP 205 hung by a one piece crossmember. 1968 and before Swept PW's used the np202 and a hanger that is composed of several pieces and therefore easy to install. I wonder if the earlier hanger is capable of mounting a np 205? The 205 is all gears.
Thanks,
jim

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

Williys,
Were you working with NP 435 manual trans or automatic. I think the crossmenber that supports the back of the np 435 on my 1970 PW is a three piece.
I now need to crawl under there to make sure I am not actually more dumb and or confused than I look. And often act.
jim

willys
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by willys »

I have a NP435 w/ a 3 piece crossmember for the trans . when I got the truck and it had a 727.went to a 833 and then a 435 when I went to a 4x4. the same crossmember used w/ all 3 transmisson's