"69 W200 Power Wagon Wheels

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
dbcarroll1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Northport
State: NY

"69 W200 Power Wagon Wheels

Post by dbcarroll1 »

Can anyone tell me what size wheels the '69 W200 came with stock? And where I can get a set. Currently, it has these aftermarket 16" wheels with 9.00X16 military's on them. The tires are horrible, and I would like to replace them as well as put stock rims back on. Any help would be appreciated. This is my first Sweptline. I also own 2 FFPW's.

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: colorado springs
State: CO

Re: "69 W200 Power Wagon Wheels

Post by ozzie »

the stock wheels on my power wagon were 750/17 my truck had a plow on it, so I am not sure that these wheels were factory, or someone put them on when the plow was installed, maybe for a higher ground clerance. Ozzie.

Lowdown
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Severn
State: MD

Post by Lowdown »

For what it's worth, my bone stock '68 W200 still has the 16.5" x 6" steel wheels on it.
Ironically, the rest of the truck is in terrible shape but the tires look great, practically brand new.
I'd sell you these wheels and tires if you think it'd be worth your time to make the drive from NY to MD.
Check out my build thread for an over all picture.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

weren't the factory wheels split rims?
I think their were several size rims depending on options. I'm just not positive what sizes.
maybe - 7x19.5,
6 or 7 x 16.5,
7x16

I wouldn't want to use split rims.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Most likely it had 16.5 wheels when new. That size is obsolete. 16 is the preferred size, so maybe keep your 16's and get new tires. DO NOT GET 16.5 wheels, unless u get tires with them. That size tire is no longer made!

WildBill
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dansville
State: NY

Post by WildBill »

The only size I have on my 69 W200 were from the factoryand they were split rims, 7.50 16". Gotta get rid of those split rims one of these days.

lbman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Deming

Post by lbman »

No one will touch split rims in WA State. I have been trying to come up with 16 inch rims. I also have 2- 16.5 split rims, can't find tires for them. 16 inch is the way to go. Chevy 16 inch fit over the front hub but not the back.
it appears the 63 military ambulance had 16.5 split rims Stock. my 64 W200 had 16 split rims stock.
:2cents
LB

tinbasher
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cache Creek
State: CA

Post by tinbasher »

i bought a set of 16x8 white spokes for my brick last fall. i thought it would be a piece of cake to get them... easier said than done. the tire guys assured me that 16" was obsolete too. :pale

fortunately, goodyear makes a big wrangler 10 ply in 16"

rodarbal
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Foprtuna

Post by rodarbal »

Not sure about stock but I have stock ford 8 lug on mine and they are fine. I believe kelsey hayes made them, as they make most domestic rims.
I am running 255 85 r16's and they are a good fit and work well in most situations.
"The best mud tire cant hold a candle to a street tire thats chained"

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn

Post by PowerMan »

The 200 series and Power Wagons (100's and 200's) from the early '60's came stock with 7.50 x 16 tires (on 16" split ring rims) with the option of the 17.5" (not split ring) rims I believe that were mostly used on military trucks. I would not recommend buying split ring rims because not too many tires shops will work with split ring rims. I would recommend getting radial tires even though they were not necessarily radials when the truck came out of the factory.

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

lbman wrote:No one will touch split rims in WA State.
LB
Not true. Many farm rigs still use split rims and they get fixed in WA. I had a tire repaired and a rotation done on my wife's car @ Americas tire in Vancouver a few days ago and asked them about it. They said yeah we do them when they come in but we don't see them often anymore. Since I haul crushed cars some I get to have big rig flats repaired fairly regular and I usually ask about split rims because I have seen this before. So far no one in OR or WA has said they won't work on them.

I am not sure but at least in '67/'68 16.5's were not on the option list. I have in my hot little hand a '68 brochure which lists available tire sizes (depending on model) as 6.95-14, 8.15-15, 6.50-16, 7.50-16, 8-17.5 and 8-19.5.

lbman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Deming

Post by lbman »

well, I found a local Les Shwab who will deal with my split rims. they do big rig tires..they want to see them 1st. they said there are a couple of differant styles; one they will do,one they wont. tires are going to be clost too a grand :pale
LB

medic1241
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Mineral Wells
State: WV

Post by medic1241 »

I have 2 1967 W-200's. One has 16" rims and the other has 16.5" rims. Oddly enough... The one with the 16's has 9 rear leaf springs and the one with 16.5's has 6 rear leaf springs.

Mike

Dman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Somerville
State: MA

Post by Dman »

My '65 W200 has the stock 7.50 x 16's splits with it (in the bed).

In the past I have had no issue dealing with the split rims as long as you are careful setting them up and inflate them in some secure way so if they pop you don't loose a hand or something. It is a simple system you can do them yourself. However, it is very dangerous and not to be taken lightly. Wrap the tire in chains or put it in a cage and keep your hands out of the way. The thing I don't like about them is that they require a tube and tubes are not cheap. Just don't be the fool who hits the ceiling when the ring blows off when he's standing over it.*

If you want a shop to do it don't go to a tire dealer as most of them will not touch the splits. Instead find a truck repair shop that does 2.5 ton tucks, those guys do the splits all day long.

*take it to the shop unless your are nuts.

Dman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Somerville
State: MA

Post by Dman »

RussRoth wrote:
lbman wrote:No one will touch split rims in WA State.
LB
Not true. Many farm rigs still use split rims and they get fixed in WA. I had a tire repaired and a rotation done on my wife's car @ Americas tire in Vancouver a few days ago and asked them about it. They said yeah we do them when they come in but we don't see them often anymore. Since I haul crushed cars some I get to have big rig flats repaired fairly regular and I usually ask about split rims because I have seen this before. So far no one in OR or WA has said they won't work on them.

I am not sure but at least in '67/'68 16.5's were not on the option list. I have in my hot little hand a '68 brochure which lists available tire sizes (depending on model) as 6.95-14, 8.15-15, 6.50-16, 7.50-16, 8-17.5 and 8-19.5.
sounds like you are talking to the truck guys who actually know what they are doing and not the national tire dealers (who won't even mount tires on a car if they are not what the manufacture recommends)

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

America's tire in Vancouver is not. No place for anything much larger than a 1 ton PU. Yes, I usually am talking to somebody that does semi tires. :lol: :lol: :pale

tinbasher
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cache Creek

Post by tinbasher »

I have 2 1967 W-200's. One has 16" rims and the other has 16.5" rims. Oddly enough... The one with the 16's has 9 rear leaf springs and the one with 16.5's has 6 rear leaf springs.
number of leafs doesn't necessarily equate to load carrying capacity. what are the gvw ratings on the vin tags?

medic1241
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Mineral Wells
State: WV

Post by medic1241 »

I'll check and see...One cab is in the body shop... One is still in my front yard...

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

lbman wrote:No one will touch split rims in WA State. I have been trying to come up with 16 inch rims. I also have 2- 16.5 split rims, can't find tires for them. 16 inch is the way to go. Chevy 16 inch fit over the front hub but not the back.
it appears the 63 military ambulance had 16.5 split rims Stock. my 64 W200 had 16 split rims stock.
:2cents
LB
lots of people will do split rims in WA state. I have mine done at Les Schwab. you might have one les schwab where they wont do it but it just depends on how much of a weeny the manager is. :lol:

67cspowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: maple valley

Post by 67cspowerwagon »

Yea here in WA split rims the 67 PW has 16 split rim anyone need some have 4 with tires