NOT GOOD WITH CARS NEED HELP !!!

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
CXCRAZINESXS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 08046
State: NJ

NOT GOOD WITH CARS NEED HELP !!!

Post by CXCRAZINESXS »

I recently bought a 63 panel wagon 4x4. I want to put in a new egine, tranny, power steering, and steering column. I want to keep it 4x4 but change it from manual to auto. Can anyone tell me what would be a good donor vehicle for parts ? I was looking into buying a 84 W100 4x4 pickup for parts. Or if you know of an easier way to do those modifications, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

dusty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: applegate oregon

Re: NOT GOOD WITH CARS NEED HELP !!!

Post by dusty »

i used the steering box and front axle from an 83 in my 66 for power steering worked great but it was a 3/4 ton

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

CXCRAZINESXS wrote:I recently bought a 63 panel wagon 4x4. I want to put in a new egine, tranny, power steering, and steering column. I want to keep it 4x4 but change it from manual to auto. Can anyone tell me what would be a good donor vehicle for parts ? I was looking into buying a 84 W100 4x4 pickup for parts. Or if you know of an easier way to do those modifications, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
The 84 W100 (or any Dodge 4x4 after 1974) has a married transmission/t-case. You want a truck with just the transmission by itself, basically a 2wd fits this bill. But you need the short version of the 727 auto, which was in mostly RV's, though some trucks had them.

The 84 W100 might work for the steering/front axle components, but will require some mods. Pre-72 trucks had the steering box behind the front axle, 72-up had the steering box in front of the front axle.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

CXCRAZINESXS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 08046
State: NJ

Post by CXCRAZINESXS »

Thanks guys for the help, it really helped alot. I think Im going to keep the engine as is and work on the interior for now.