pulling photos

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
dusty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: applegate oregon

pulling photos

Post by dusty »

Sorry guys but time to brag a little !We went to a pull in Redmond OR. a couple of weeks ago,and there weren't allot of trucks so they combined a few classes .My wife was driving our 66 as usual.A fellow puller came to me an said the wife was going down this day.She has beat him a few times before but he put aftermarket heads on his roller cam chvy. We run a 17 year old 383 with stock exhaust manifolds and a rpm intake.So first pass she pulled 254.31 feet -chvy. 243.81- ford 428 221.68 -ford 390 192.85 -440 dodge 192.72.second pass for the lovely wife 190.25- chvy. 166.48 -ford428 160.30- 440 dodge 90.02 -390 ford 89.59 . day 2 wife pulls 251.06 feet- chvy. 227.74-ford 428 203.72 .Sooo i guess i miss understood she was going down the track farther then all the others .oh yeah an i did well in my class to but only one other truck,the old motorhome 440 we threw together turned 5800rpm on the track.We were taking the year off from pulling but that didn't work i think we could be addicted.Next stop Lebanon OR. June 5th an 6th.

Last edited by dusty on Sun May 23, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: pulling photos

Post by Hobcobble »

How did the competition react to getting their butts kicked? :lol:
Great pics! Thanks for sharing. :Thumbsup
John

dusty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dusty »

Well most of them are good friends but they were all frustrated,they thought for sure they could beat my wife.The funny part is i am currently working on one ford and scrounging parts for another ,so they can have a rematch.LOL

elacruze
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Jensen Beach
State: FL

Post by elacruze »

Awesome!
'68 D200 Sweptline Camper Special, 318LA/4 speed
'68 Charger R/T 440/EFI/4spd/D60
----------------
My Build thread;
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23316

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Dusty, great job by Mrs Dusty! :Thumbsup

Thanks for all the distances & engine sizes given. I do have some questions. The Dodge 440 seemed to have done poorly compared to the others (Ford 428,Ford390). Was this a "set-up" issue or just a dog of an engine?
What did the chevy have under the hood that had roller cam?

What are some of the rules/parameters of pulling?

I may be of a minority opinion here, but I prefer 4x4 pulling over other forms of "off-road" competition (mud races/drags,rock climbing, etc), at least from a spectator standpoint.

At least there was some variety there, not a dozen Z71's that only differ from each other in color.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

dusty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dusty »

I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy with 440 i think it was mostly a setup issue (big tires) .the chevy i believe is 350 but not sure.The rules vary from place to place an by class,we usually run a 6000lb under 400 cubic inch super stock class .Dot tires only ,gasoline or diesel only.max 24 inch hitch hieght an nothing hanging farther than 42 inches past center line of front axle.One nice thing about pulling is its really not that hard on the truck ,a few broken axles over the years an one fryed clutch but no body damage an no mess to clean up.This truck is still driven on the street when we can afford the fuel.They say its a dying sport but some of us are just not ready to let it go!
Last edited by dusty on Mon May 24, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

dusty wrote:I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy with 440 i think it was mostly a setup issue (big tires) .the chevy i believe is 350 but not sure.The rules vary from place to place an by class,we usually run a 6000lb under 400 cubic inch super stock class .Dot tires only ,gasoline or diesel only.max 24 inch hitch hieght an nothing hanging farther than 42 inches past center line of front axle.One nice thing about pulling is its really not that hard on the truck ,a few broken axles over the years an one fryed clutch but no body damage an no mess to clean up.This truck is still driven on the street when we can afford the fuel.They say its a dieing sport but some of us are just not ready to let it go!
Thanks for the info. I lived in Jackson, Tn. in the late 70's. Every summer they had a huge tractor & 4x4 pull. Even added semi's a few years. My favorite part of the event was after the "pros" they'd have a street stock pull. All the kidos getting daddy's 4x4's out there & hooking them up. These was way before the Diesel age, virtually all gasoline pick-ups. It was usually a 2 night event.

Here in Wichita Falls we had the same thing in the 80's & early 90's. Diesels replaced gassers. When the city built a new coliseum/expo hall the outdoor tractor/truck pulls died out to the monster truck type stuff. I haven't been to a real pull since about 1998. They still have them in somewheres but they same to be a dying breed.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

magnumcid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sherbrooke
State: Foreign

Post by magnumcid »

Question: Are those clear indicator light lenses? And if so, are they street legal and where can I get some?
1967 Fargo Power Wagon 200; Poly 318/NP435/201/4.10s PROJECT
1996 Chebby S10 ZR2; 4.3 Vortec/5 Spd./Manual 4x4 OFF-ROAD BEATER
2003 Chebby Cavalier; 2.2 Ecotec/Auto DAILY BEATER

dusty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dusty »

good eye.those are aircraft landing lights the indicator lights are just below the hood on the core support ,and no they are not legal to use on the street.

magnumcid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sherbrooke
State: Foreign

Post by magnumcid »

sweet mod... yeah i was wondering about that orange glow. i've seen lots of pulling trucks catch fire, though... chevys and fords mostly... :lol:
1967 Fargo Power Wagon 200; Poly 318/NP435/201/4.10s PROJECT
1996 Chebby S10 ZR2; 4.3 Vortec/5 Spd./Manual 4x4 OFF-ROAD BEATER
2003 Chebby Cavalier; 2.2 Ecotec/Auto DAILY BEATER

dusty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dusty »

magnumcid wrote:sweet mod... yeah i was wondering about that orange glow. i've seen lots of pulling trucks catch fire, though... chevys and fords mostly... :lol:
it is a sweet mod.my dad did it years ago took the chrome rings off of some handheld spotlights and mounted them up.they are awesome for wheeling at night.

medic1241
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Mineral Wells
State: WV

Post by medic1241 »

Great pics and story to boot! I miss going to the 4-H fair and watching the stock class pull.

Mike

dusty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dusty »

We used to have a huge truck pull in our home town every year at fair time.they would have to limit the stock trucks because so many would show up.the crowd was standing room only we have traveled to many pulls an seldom see crowds like that .now they just have tuff trucks guys outthere beating the crap out of trucks on jumps and bumps .We are trying to keep it alive

one54dodgetruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: rochester
State: WA

Post by one54dodgetruck »

what speed are you pulling at? at the local tractor pulls its 3,5mph

dusty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dusty »

around 15 miles an hour but no speed limits on our tracks,3-5 would be boring

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Wow what a cool truck and photo. I like how your hood is just alittle bit tweaked just like mine. And a lot of other folks?
Great looking rig. The pie plate is my favorite.

dusty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dusty »

im not happy with how the hood sits ,but it already has alot of shims under it i was afraid to put anymore.pie plates have always been my favorite!

deadendcustoms
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ames
State: IA

Post by deadendcustoms »

Just came across this post and had to bring it back to life. Great to see another Sweptline out pulling and a Pie Plate at that. I've got my 67 that I pull with and just helped a buddy put together a 69. Truck pulls are alive and kicking here in Iowa and the one club I pull with has a fairly strong Dodge following but all the rest are either mid to late 70's or Cummins.