D14 4x4

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Ken 71 Dodge 4x4

D14 4x4

Post by Ken 71 Dodge 4x4 »

Hi, I just purchased a 71 Dodge d14 series truck that is a 4x4. I realize the D series trucks are suppossed to be 2 wheel drive, but the fella I bought it from swears it has always been a 4x4. By the looks under the truck, it certainly looks to be all original 4 wheel drive equipment with lock out hubs. Also, the color I believe is Hemi orange and I know its original paint, but I didn't see Hemi orange as a color option for '71. Does anyone have proof of any D series trucks leaving the factory as a 4 wheel drive? Does anyone know of Chrysler using Hemi orange for a color of '71 Dodge trucks? Thanks, Ken @ 426beepbeep@sbcglobal.net

Post by Guest »

Conversion, either at dealership or later. Could be a later model front axle. Is later model if it is an open knucklefront axle. Check your VIN plate. If twin sticked, it was a conversion, 1969 up had single stick t-case.

1971 Burnt Orange, Ditzler paint code 2226, introduced February 2nd 1970. Only Orange factory offered 1969-71. Suggests the truck was repainted. Check a chipchart at the local PPG store, they own Ditzler. Could be the same color under a different name. Very common practice. The same color was used in some cases from the 30s to 71, different names, same paint code. Look under the dash to see if it is the same color, almost nobody repaints under there, major league pain in the @#% to do a good job.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

W=4 Wheel Drive
D=2 Wheel Drive
No D's left the factory as W's... it was either or..
Did someone re-cab your W? That, or someone installed
a 4WD drive train.
John