68 sweptline w/8'bed onto a 76 ramcharger frame

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
frankyb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

68 sweptline w/8'bed onto a 76 ramcharger frame

Post by frankyb »

I've been looking quite a bit on this site for advice on getting power steering, disc brakes and a better handling Sweptline. Many of the companies listed that have done frame swaps or offered power steering solutions are no longer around, no longer offer the kits or their numbers are disconnected.

Like many of you, I want real power steering, front disc brakes and even 4 wheel drive if possible for my 68 sweptline long bed. I have a 76 ramcharger parts truck with good front end, frame and running gear. Does this swap seem reasonable? Is there a better donor vehicle to do this with instead of the ramcharger? Is there a reason that it won't work? What precautions should take using that donor?

Is it better to swap the entire frame after extending it to accommodate the longer wheelbase?, or is it better to cut off the front ends and weld the ramcharger front onto the sweptline frame?

Anyone know a shop in Southern California that could take on this project? I'm in the Los Angeles area.

Post by Guest »

Ramcharger front 44 axle will actually bolt right in. The steering is the big problem. Driveshafts aren't a direct swap RC to LWB. T-case can be a problem. I gave up on it. If I do the swap later will use 80-86 F250 or 350 axles. I measured them against a stripped down Swept frame. Not perfect, but pretty close. And a lot more plentiful than RC or W axles in the local yard.

There used to be a kick-@#% 4X shop on Placentia (?). By a turbo shop, a jeep shop, and some kind of coliseum (I haven't been to L.A. in years, but still see the shop ad in the 4X mags). Just south of Fullerton HD on the main drag toward the old military airfield.

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

Anonymous wrote:If I do the swap later will use 80-86 F250 or 350 axles. I measured them against a stripped down Swept frame. Not perfect, but pretty close. And a lot more plentiful than RC or W axles in the local yard.
But the ford front diff has the carrier on the wrong side of the truck, doesn't it? Your driveshaft will have to cross east to west under your truck causing a bind.
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

swap

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

I personally would not ever put a foriegn object on my truck (ford chevy whatever) but thats me, if I was in your situation I would extend the frame of the RC and add the 68 body, but thats just me :Thumbsup and being in California should make it even easier

frankyb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by frankyb »

Here's a pic of my sweptline and another of my donor ramcharger.
If anyone has a line on a good shop that can perform this operation in the Los Angeles area let me know. I don't mind travelling or shipping to the right shop as well. I think power steering will be an obstacle. Perhaps there's another Dodge frame that will work even better?

(note crushed window post on the ramcharger).

Thanks, frankyb
1966 W200, 440 /
1968 Galaxy, 390 /
1970 W200, 392, 5 spd /
1970 F250 Cummins 6BT /
1970 Olds Cutlass Conv, 455 /
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4, 4.0 /
1999 Cadillac Deville, 4.6 /
2012 Jeep SRT8 /

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Jimmy, you can make almost anything work. Ford axles + Ford t-case= should work fine. At one time they had a divorced case like Dodge did. Maybe that's what he planned to use. Although, I think that case went out in the Fords in the early 70s.

Robin, while all Mopar is great, sometimes it just can't be done. There are parts of the country where you can hardly find new Dodges, let alone old ones. They just didn't seem to have the appeal of the other brands in some markets. For example, I can find International, Studebaker, acient Ford, ancient GM all day long. Dodges are few and far between at most yards in the area. And, when you find them, your name goes on a list behind up to several years of other customers. IF your parts are still available when your name comes up, THEN, and ONLY THEN, can you buy the parts. I'm on a first name basis with the yard owner, and can't get everything I need (or even just want). Sometimes you've just got to work with what is available. My 49 has Ranger parts on it, my 69 will likely end up using Studebaker instead of Dodge for some parts. And,both will have import bucket seats, Dart seats are unavailable used here. Whatever it takes to keep them going.
-WD

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud

Post by Hoss »

OK you have all the needed parts to do the swap less the driveshafts. You will need to remove the steering box and the mounting bracket from the ramcharger and transfere it to your swept in front of the axle. The front axle will bolt in and you will need to use the springs from the ramcharger. I would suggest using the steering column from the ramcharger also. You can use the rear axle from your ramcharger. Check and see if the springs are a direct swap if not you can always remove the hangers and move them over to the swept. If the engine and trans and transfere case are good just swap them out as an assembly it may take fabing a cross member.
If you really want someone else to do it try Windlord Performance Products in Huntington Beach for help.
Hope this helps.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood

Frame swap

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

WD
I built my truck in that exact market nothing but fords and chevy's in San Antonio, I found that you can buy all the parts you need new and over the internet, and thats what I did, and staying Mopar is all I know, and from personal preference I would only use Mopar Parts for I feel better with their quality of parts, their are those that like different so more power to you.