duel shocks?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
dodgydan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver b.c.

duel shocks?

Post by dodgydan »

has anyone put duel shocks on the front? i have installed late model d60 under the front end. but the shock mounts on the axle are behind the tube, but the shackles are still at the front of the springs, i was thinking of fabbing mounts on the front of the axle to put the shocks were they should be! but instead of cutting the rear one off, putting a second shock there aswell, what ya think?
68 W100 (sold)
chopped 40 plymouth coupe
04 hemi Durango with shaker
58 dodge regent 2dr
new to me 65 A100

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Re: duel shocks?

Post by nfury8 »

I dropped an 89 D44, with the rear mounted shock ears, in my 70 Crew. I cut the ears off and moved
them to the front. It was pretty easy, they were welded on nearly as well as I expected. They are on
much better now! Dual shocks seem to be usually mounts parallel, your idea sounds like they would
be opposed. I am not an expert on suspension design, but you might look into this to see if there is
a reason they are usually parallel, or if it just convenience. Otherwise, it sounds like a plausible idea.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

AKMopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Anchorage
State: AK

Re: dual shocks?

Post by AKMopar »

I swapped an '81 Dana44 along with 6" lift Skyjacker softride springs under my 1970 crew. I fabbed some new mounts from some square tube and welded them to the front of the axle. I love the new springs but am not satisfied with the rebound performance of the skyjacker shocks, too bouncy. I am currently looking at ways to mount some kind of dual set-up. I actaully haven't cut off the old ears but dont think it is useable on the steering side since I am still using the stock manual steering box. My guess is they swapped it behind when they put the steering out front. I will probably fab up some kind of side by side arrangement and cough up the cash for some Bilsteins. I would be interested to see what you come up with.
1970 W200 CrewCab - Family Truckster
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback - Restified Daily Driver

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Re: duel shocks?

Post by jimmy »

I have front power steering box and a 92 D60, I moved the right bracket to the front and because of the front ps box and drag link I used the rear shock mount on the lest side of the axle and built a new angle iron upper shock mount. I was very concerned that the truck would bounce un evenly, or lunge over pot holes. Turned out Great. I used the 92' cummins front springs, that I would like to replace with soft ride springs some day for a better ride. The key is using quality shocks.

The stiffer the shock the less tire and axle shakeyou will have on a truck. Which meens better ride. KYB Mono max($60 each), Les schwabs Mono tube($60each), or I used Napa Fleet Grande Heavy duty shocks ($30.each). I used them because the eyes were the correct size and the length was correct. I actually like the Les schwab Mono Tube better but they didn't have anything that would fit with out changing my shock mount size. Mono tube style shocks are so stuff you may have to use a floor jack to push them into place. If your truck is lifted you will have to research what brand makes a shock that has the proper travel and mount size.

I got into it with the guys at Napa about Shocks, they think that a soft shock is going to ride better than Stiff. True on a family sedan! but not my experance on trucks.

Unless you are wheel'in or Rock crawl'in ALL the time you don't want soft shocks.

I had a 97' F350 Crew cab 4x4 powerstroke, that was one of the worst riding rigs I've ever had. I bought good Rancho shocks and installed, the ride was even worse. The shocks were to soft to controll a big truck. I used the Les Schwab mono tube and compleatly changed the truck for the better.

That my two cents! :2cents
Jimmy

65' Satellite 383 4spd
65' Satellite 440 727
69 Power Wagon Crew Cab