cross-over power steering

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
dodgydan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver b.c.

cross-over power steering

Post by dodgydan »

1978 f#rd f250 4x4 box/with stock pitman arm turned 90 deg/ mounting bracket home fab like "jimmy's"/ slip joint at box end and u joint on column end of intermediat shaft, and the stock rag joint to connect to column./ i put a bearing in the end of the column for support, and another on the intermediat shaft just next to the u joint with a fabricated bracket mounted to the frame/ did this cause there was to much flex in the rag joint. wanted to keep the rag joint because it kills vibration and noise./ found a high steer arm for the right knuckle of the D60 at local 4x4 shop/ and fabbed a cross over link using thick wall steele threaded right and left hand, with a dodge one ton tie rod end and jam nuts on each side. 39.5"/ stock power steering pump/ hoses from f#rd box reflaired with the dodge flare nut./hope this helps.
P4300075.JPG
P4300075.JPG (52.66 KiB) Viewed 22430 times
Attachments
trucks 014.jpg
trucks 014.jpg (54.33 KiB) Viewed 22430 times
trucks 012.jpg
trucks 012.jpg (57.26 KiB) Viewed 22430 times
trucks 010.jpg
trucks 010.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 22430 times
trucks 011.jpg
trucks 011.jpg (53.08 KiB) Viewed 22430 times
trucks 009.jpg
trucks 009.jpg (54.18 KiB) Viewed 22430 times
P4300079.JPG
P4300079.JPG (55.26 KiB) Viewed 22430 times
P4220069.JPG
P4220069.JPG (62.11 KiB) Viewed 22430 times
P4300078.JPG
P4300078.JPG (43.93 KiB) Viewed 22430 times
P4300076.JPG
P4300076.JPG (46.88 KiB) Viewed 22430 times
68 W100 (sold)
chopped 40 plymouth coupe
04 hemi Durango with shaker
58 dodge regent 2dr
new to me 65 A100

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Yelm
State: WA

Re: cross-over power steering

Post by crusty »

First, thanks a lot for posting that up! I know a bunch of us have talked about it, but this is the first with pics. I do have a couple questions, though.
What pitman arm did you use?
Also, what is your distance from the axle tube to the bottom of the frame? It appears you have PLENTY of room for crossover, and I would like to know how what you have compares to my truck.

Again, thanks for posting up :salut
What a mess.

dodgydan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgydan »

the pitman arm is the one from the f#rd f250 78/79 4x4, it is 6 1/4" eye to eye and has a 2 1/2" drop. one with less drop would be better but i needed to clear the driveshaft for my PTO winch. it is possible to mowe the P.S. box forward,rearward, or up or down for more clearance. my truck has a 318 4spd and the cross over arm runs infront of the oil pan sump and bellow it, so good clearance between them. nothing seems to contact or bind so far, checking with jacking up each corner, but have not gone wheeling yet. thats when ya find out how ya did :lol: here is a sketch with some measurements, hope it helps.
P.W.-w100.jpg
P.W.-w100.jpg (22.17 KiB) Viewed 22408 times
68 W100 (sold)
58 dodge regent 2dr
new to me 65 A100

dodgydan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgydan »

try this, it might be clearer????
scetch.jpg
68 W100 (sold)
58 dodge regent 2dr
new to me 65 A100

Sterno
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kelowna, BC Canada

Post by Sterno »

Awesome Post. With so many people here working on Power Steering for our trucks this simple and rugged build is exactly what the doctor ordered. :clap

this should be stickied imho
'65 W-100
'67 D-200
assorted non-mopar junk

smile..... It confuses the hell out of your enemies!

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

Sterno wrote: this should be stickied imho
agreed.
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by crusty »

Thanks for the sketch. That really helps. I am going to be at around 15" from the axle to frame, so if you clear fine with 14, I definitely should be fine. Again, Thanks.
What a mess.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Nice work,Dan! :clap
Last edited by digdoug on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane

Post by jimmy »

Awsome work! I've been putting miles on mine, and everything works great. Food for thought-- I didn't use a rag joint and to my suprise I have NO vibration in my steering wheel. I also used a bearing in the colume. I've been driving at highway speeds --faster than I should be on really poor country roads and local highways, and the truck drives perfectly straight with now bump or wander steer. I've also driven down dirt wash board roads and have not felt any bump steer. Remember that I'm using Cummins front springs and shackles and Napa Gas Grande' shocks on all four. I found out that 93' Front superduty front shock work on all four. I also moved the left shock to the rear of the axle and it rides great. I was worried about the truck bounching un-even having the front shocks stagered but everything is great. With a 440 and the location of the plate I don't think that I can use a cross over, but I also am very satisfied with the out come of how mine turn out. I'm really picky about how stuff drives and I like it. Of cource my truck is'nt nearlly as tall as some. If it were taller I think the cross over is the only way to go.

All I'm trying to say is I don't have the dreaded bump steer for some reason.

Once again awsome work!
Last edited by jimmy on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy

65' Satellite 383 4spd
65' Satellite 440 727
69 Power Wagon Crew Cab

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: El Centro (of nowhere)
State: CA

Post by DavidWymore »

Truck looks great, good job. More/bigger pics would be really cool. Crossover is DEFINITELY the way to go. All hardcore offroad Ch3vy guys convert their pushpull steering to crossover.

Watch for cracks in the frame around the box, might be a problem depending on how hard you wheel it.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm

Another note, you should use drag link ends (DLES) on the drag link, not tie rod ends. Drag link ends are designed to handle more angle when the suspension travels. There is a chance you could bind/break a TRE and lose steering. :pale

A note for the others, I believe a 2wd Chevy or Dodge box will work too, maybe one of them would already have the correct flare. Don't use van boxes. They are often "reversed".

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Innisfail
State: Foreign

Post by Boons »

About how much in all would a project like this cost :2cents and how difficult :banghead would it be?
1989 Ramcharger LE 318/727 2wd (For Sale)
"FUBAR"1971 Fargo D-100 LA 318/727 Auto
"SNAFU"1968 Fargo W-200 POWERWAGON 383/Np 435 4 speed/Np 202 T-case.Dana 60 rear Dana 44 front

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by crusty »

To ballpark it:
Dana 60 arm- $150
Steering Box- $300
Two Tie Rod Ends- $60
DOM tubing/ inserts- $80

Sooo, roughly $600. Of course, you still need a welder, and you might be able to get this stuff cheaper than I listed. That is either new or reman, but by shopping, it is possible to do it cheaper.
What a mess.

Boons
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Innisfail

Post by Boons »

crusty wrote:To ballpark it:
Dana 60 arm- $150
Steering Box- $300
Two Tie Rod Ends- $60
DOM tubing/ inserts- $80

Sooo, roughly $600. Of course, you still need a welder, and you might be able to get this stuff cheaper than I listed. That is either new or reman, but by shopping, it is possible to do it cheaper.
Alot cheaper thank you.There wouldnt be any serious self Fabrication of parts?
1989 Ramcharger LE 318/727 2wd (For Sale)
"FUBAR"1971 Fargo D-100 LA 318/727 Auto
"SNAFU"1968 Fargo W-200 POWERWAGON 383/Np 435 4 speed/Np 202 T-case.Dana 60 rear Dana 44 front

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by crusty »

Well, if you buy the tubing and inserts, then you have to weld them. When I did heavy duty steering on my ford, I used "Shakerbilt." Tim was nice to deal with and pretty prompt.
Also, you have to fab up the plate like in the pics, as well as the steering shaft to the column.

I guess it depends on what you call "serious"
What a mess.

ricknadine1111
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: lancaster
State: CA

Post by ricknadine1111 »

Great work, anyway to see a plan of the frame and steering box with measurements from the frame and box comparison?
I just painted my mailbox mopar engine blue and silver

MikeMc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MikeMc »

Nice work Dan. I also put a cross over steering on my W300 along with many other mods.

I torched out a section of frame around the F-350 steering box so it would have the spacers in between the frame rails. Now the F's frame is molded into the W's frame with a Dana 60 axle. To keep the brakes and steering working properly I installed the F's hydro booster. I didn't know how it would work with the Cummins 5.9 power steering pump but works great. Turns really easy and stops really good too.

This last pic is what the "Mc Mobile" looks like now.
Attachments
doors 002.jpg
steering block 001.jpg
steering brace 002.jpg

moparman336
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: canada

Post by moparman336 »

has anyone got any pictures of the steering shaft between the box and steering column? looks like a real tight angle where the factory box used to sit.
67 D300 fargo 318 4 speed
68 W200 fargo 360 4 speed 38.5" boggers
68 W200 crewcab 360 4 speed 42" tsl's
70 D100 Dude /6 4 speed

dodgydan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgydan »

go back to powerwagon 4x4 forum-then go to page 2- look for (front springeyes) by jimmy- half way down is a link to
his ``jimmys69truck blog`` there you will find all his power steering mods and photos he has some good shots of his steering halfshaft good luck

hope this helps.
68 W100 (sold)
58 dodge regent 2dr
new to me 65 A100

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck
State: ND

Post by Cageman »

I used a 2 wheel drive GM box, I love my crossover steering. Its like driving a car. I have 35 14.50's too, lol I was looking over a cash for clunker jeep grand cherokee the other day, and it appers the steering arm on that is the same as the drop one I have on my box I paid 75 bucks for, oh well.

crusty
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by crusty »

I am finally working on my steering and have a few questions for you guys. I am trying to figure out my measurements to get it right the first time. From what I have read, a 78-79 F150 pitman arm is what most are using for "standard" crossover steering swaps. That being said, does the pitman hole sit so that the draglink is perfectly parallel to the tie rod when the wheels are pointed straight forward? By that I mean does the draglink angle backward from the pitman arm to the Dana 60 steering arm or not? Also, what are the lengths/ pitman arm models you guys are using, and is there anything you would do different?
Also, what Dana 60 arms are you guys using? What is the kingpin to draglink distance on these arms? Is there a standard dimension, or does each manufacturer do them a little differently?
Thanks in advance.
What a mess.