Which transfer case to use...

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Which transfer case to use...

Post by WD »

I realize this is somewhat subjective, but needed to ask anyway. My wife and I are planning to convert both our 4X2 1/2 tons to 4X4.

The easy one is the 69. Using Ramcharger axles. Truck is a 318 727. Should I use the complete powertrain from the Ramcharger (360/727/?), or just the case and whatever to hook it to my tranny? Or should I use a divorce mount case out of a W200 being parted out locally?

The hard one is our 49 Dodge. 108 inch wheelbase. 218 cid FLATHEAD 6, 3 speed. Not sure yet which axles to use. Can get a good case out of a 54 PW for free. Can also get a Scout 2 case for free.

I know both conversions are a pain in the butt. Have gotten both rigs stuck where I hunt and fish, can't afford to buy another truck. Refuse to get rid of the 49, haven't paid off the 69. Any suggestions to help me put these things together with the fewest headaches are greatly appreciated.
-WD
The 49 has been in the family since new. Would love to do a MH type conversion if someone can tell me how.

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

I would use all the ramcharger parts. Engine trans and transfere case makes an easy swap and gives you late model parts. As far as the 49 goes you can use a 205 transfere case or a T18. You may find the T 18 in a Willys jeep truck or wagon or a mid 50s cj.
The 205 was available as a divorced unit in GM and Chrysler trucks through the early 70s GM stayed with the same case but married them to the trans up through the mid to late 80s in the 1 tons and duallys. Easyest way to tell the 205 is that it is cast iron and will not have a large housing attatched to the rear of the transfere case as the dodges do from late 1974 to the early 80s.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

mopar-maniac

Post by mopar-maniac »

I agree with Hoss about the Ramcharger parts. This is what I plan to do to my 67 as time and money allow only using '79 pickup gear.

My question is what transfer case is in the RC. Most of the one's I've found have the NP203 which is a fulltime/parttime case. I've heard a lot of people bash this case due to the fact you are always in 4x4 mode, but a differential in the case prevents drivetrain damage in corners. Also, MPG drops as well. My dad's 78 pickup got 10 MPG pulling cattle or driving empty with the 360/727/np203 setup. His 01 Ram with a 360/AT/I don't know the tranfer case number, anyway it has managed 14MPG interstate, but normally 12. So there isn't a lot of difference in my eyes.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

I've got a wasted 46 CJ2A with the Spicer 18 t-case.
Needs frame, tub, rear axle and springs, front fenders and grille. Was going to make a welder engine out of the 134 cid flathead 4, scrap the tranny (piece of junk), and put the t-case and front axle in a 71 SuperBeetle. With a later jeep 4 banger or V6 and 5 speed, early CJ5 rear end narrowed to fit. (Beetle is completely worn out, but the body is cherry)

The Ramcharger in question is an 83. Dana 44-8 front axle, manual hubs. Chrysler 9.25 rear axle. Ratio unknown. 360/wasted 727/can't tell t-case. Looks like a later case, along the lines of a 241HD. Front axle $275. Rear axle $350. Engine and t-case $way too much. The 360 might (and I mean might) be rebuildable. The body is perfect, the tranny is scrap. I like the older t-cases. Also have access to 7 or 8 out of fullsize Cherokees or Wagoneers. Ditto for axles, including a J-series with 5 lug Dana 60 front and rear. Jeep parts are alot less expensive here than Dodge parts (even though they tend to be the same except for the perches physically). I can get the axles and case from a fullsize Jeep for $300 total, the kid and I pull them.
Let me know what way you guys would go with these conversions. Gotta save up some money, but I'd like toknow what to grab when the time comes.
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

Post by Guest »

I haven't found much difference in millage between the 205 and the 203. Usually the trucks are years apart and one is fuel injected. The 203 is a great transfere case and the convienience of not having to lock in hubs is great for some people. If you are using a dana44 from a full time dodge make sure that you grease the wheel bearings often you will find the grease zerk through an access hole in the rotor.
Ken

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

If you can get the Dana 60s and the transfere case is anot a quadratrac then I'd use the jeep parts the only thing is you need to find out if the trans to transfere case adaptor will fit the chrysler trans.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by WD »

Thanks Hoss. I only really want the axles. Don't like Quadratrack cases, I don't need fulltime 4X. I was leaning toward the 60s because I have a habit of killing 44s. Where I need 4wd, heavy duty components are pretty much mandatory. Mud and rocks tend to quickly destroy lighter weight components. I go way back in the middle of nowhere to hunt, have ended up having to get more than one rig hauled out by a 6X6.

Normally I don't need the offroad grunt, but when I do, I want to know I've got the best I could get my hands on. And a QT-case isn't the best, by any means. Leaning toward running a double case set-up, 205 in front of 203 or vise-versa. Overkill. But, hey, that's me. :Thumbsup
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...