Lifting a 1970 W100

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
clivis
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 80866

Lifting a 1970 W100

Post by clivis »

I want to lift my rig slightly - say 3-4" but don't know who provides a reasonably priced kit with new springs...not blocks or add-a-leaf. I want something that does not require a lot of drive-line mods. Suggestions anyone?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Lifting a 1970 W100

Post by 712edf »

I'd feel most comfortable with skyjacker. They make lift "systems" from 2" to 8" for these trucks that include new leafs (all 4) and the ubolts/hardware. Seems like a 8" lift system is @ $750....A 4" would be cheaper. Longer brake lines & shock absorbers (if needed) would be extra. I don't know how much you can lift it before you need to start altering driveline stuff. Skyjacker also makes lift "kits" which use blocks instead of/or in combo with rear springs. This is NOT what you want. You want their lift system, not their lift kit (skyjacker's terminology, not mine or other manufacturers).......Superlift & Rancho are some other reputable lift companies.....If your springs are original they are possibly sagging, and a 4" lift may actually raise you 5-6".
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

I spoke with SkyJacker a year ago about springs. They advertise springs for our trucks, but after
questioning their tech guys, they concluded that they DIDN'T have a system for our trucks.
The parts they list are the same as the ones for the Lifestyle trucks. While they use the same
spring size and eyes, the center pins are centered on a Sweptline, and offset 2 inches on the Lifestyles.

So they could be bolted in and I have read reports of people using them, they Tech guys at SkyJacker
I spoke with did not recommend their use. They have not corrected their catalogs or web site though.

Best bet would be to have your main leaf re arched and the other leafs replaced by a local spring shop.
Have them built to the heavy W200 spec. The light W200 springs use a block, the heavy ones don't
and have 8 leafs in the back.
71 D100 Adventurer SE - PowerWagon conversion
70 W200 CrewCab - Urban Assault Kiddie Hauler
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Pro Touring Machine
69 Plymouth Fury III Convertible - Beater, Hiding in a cave

440SCOUT
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: reno nv
State: NV

Post by 440SCOUT »

nfury8 wrote:I spoke with SkyJacker a year ago about springs. They advertise springs for our trucks, but after
questioning their tech guys, they concluded that they DIDN'T have a system for our trucks.
The parts they list are the same as the ones for the Lifestyle trucks. While they use the same
spring size and eyes, the center pins are centered on a Sweptline, and offset 2 inches on the Lifestyles.

So they could be bolted in and I have read reports of people using them, they Tech guys at SkyJacker
I spoke with did not recommend their use. They have not corrected their catalogs or web site though.

Best bet would be to have your main leaf re arched and the other leafs replaced by a local spring shop.
Have them built to the heavy W200 spec. The light W200 springs use a block, the heavy ones don't
Now is the 2 inch off set on the front AND rear springs or just one or the other??
thanks

clivis
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 80866

Post by clivis »

I guess one factor in all this is "ride". While hieght is the objective, I don't really want to sacrifice some comfort. The main objective for the truck is mountain travel. And while I will be doing some firewood hauling, I'm mostly going to be accessing trailheads and hunting camps with this rig. Does the W200 heavy spring set-up with 8 leafs in the back make for a rougher ride?

Hcwt25
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Heber
State: UT

Post by Hcwt25 »

If I have them re arched will to much arching change my mounting location? How are springs re arched? Thanx for helpin a newbe

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

440SCOUT wrote:
nfury8 wrote:I spoke with SkyJacker a year ago about springs. They advertise springs for our trucks, but after

Now is the 2 inch off set on the front AND rear springs or just one or the other??
thanks
This would only apply to the rear springs.

sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Post by sweatybetty »

order a set of factory height front springs for a d100 and rear springs with a 4" lift.
http://www.alcanspring.com/