wheel bearing tech needed

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

wheel bearing tech needed

Post by sweatybetty »

whats the proper way to adjust the front wheel bearings on a 70 w 200 with a dana 44? i need the torque settings too.
i cant find anything in my books.
thanks

moparman336
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: canada
State: Foreign

Re: wheel bearing tech needed

Post by moparman336 »

hi am am also looking for the answer to this question if anyone has the info. i dont have a service manual and its for a 68 W200.
my locking hubs quit working and i traced it back to the wheel bearings being completely worn out on one side about 3/8ths of play, which i was shocked because it wasnt howling that loud.
i believe they wore out so bad because the previous owner just tightened the adjusting nut with a chisel and didnt get the proper torque on it. im ordering some new bearings tommorow hopefully there not to pricey.

muddyoldman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: spencerville IN

Post by muddyoldman »

I recently rebuilt my Dana axle on my 68 W100 and found all the information on the internet. do a google search for- dana 44 maintainence manual . some of the parts are really hard to find and some are easy. I also had to make a 2 9/16 socket to fit the wheel bearing nuts. my 68 has a closed knuckle 3000 lb. axle. 68 was the last year for the eight lug 1/2 ton axle. Dave at Vintage Power Wagons should also have some of the parts. good luck.

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

Hers a clip from my 70 service manual.
wheel bearing adjusting.jpg