VIN research

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: VIN research

Post by Russ »

Does your truck have a hydraulic clutch? That might be one way to determine if it's pre-69. Also, the transfer case crossmember on 69-71s is a flat wide channel that rivets to the frame on each side, with no braces to the bottom of the frame. I think pre-69 models had a different crossmember that triangulated to the top and bottom of the frame. I had to wire brush my frame, passenger side above the front axle, to find the vin stamping.
1969 Adventurer W100

Bigben
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Halifax, NC

Post by Bigben »

Ok guys I found the Stamping on the frame. I happened to look back at one of the spots I cleaned the other day and there it was. must have been hard to see when it was wet with the cleaner.
Now I am even more confused. I can't make out all the numbers but this is what I can make out. B 2 _ _ _ 1 S 3 3 8. So According to the info y'all gave me earlier this is a 71 3/4 ton van chassis. The third fourth and fifth numbers are in an area with more rust damage and I can't make them out. I also might be wrong about the wheelbase I stated earlier. I'll have to go and measure to be sure. I was assuming since it looks longer than my shortbed chevy.
Would this Van have come with four wheel drive or is this yet another addition to the truck. It looks like Johnny Cash may have built this one "one piece at a time".
What wheelbase would the Van chassis come with?
70/71 powerwagon W-200 (body 70/chassis 71)
82 cutlass 455 powered
76 chevy c-10 383ci
05 harley road-glide

Bigben
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Bigben »

Oh the stampings were right where you guys said it would be. right behind the front shackle on the passenger side frame rail.
82 cutlass 455 powered
76 chevy c-10 383ci
05 harley road-glide

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

If it is actually on a van frame that would be a first. Do you have any pictures of this truck?

Bigben
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Bigben »

yeah, this thing has got me real confused. the wheelbase seems to measure 129". wouldn't all the steering be totally different on a Van? I've looked at the stampings more than a few times and the first letter is definitely a B and not a D. Don't know what I've got.
82 cutlass 455 powered
76 chevy c-10 383ci
05 harley road-glide

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

pictures of the truck, its data plates and scans of any rubbings from the numbers would be helpful in in lending you a hand on this.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

Bigben
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Bigben »

I posted a pic of the truck in a different topic a few weeks ago. As for the data plates they won't do any good as I know they are from a different vehicle as stated earlier. I'll try to take a rubbing of the stamping on the frame. I don't think a picture will help with the stamping as its really hard to see the first few numbers from even a few inches away.
82 cutlass 455 powered
76 chevy c-10 383ci
05 harley road-glide

Bigben
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Bigben »

Ok, for all this might concern. I am an idiot. After much scrutiny with a magnifying glass and several rubbings later the first letter is an E. So I guess this isn't that oddball a thing after all. Just a 3/4 ton chassis with a different cab on it. thank god we finally got that straight. now I can worry about more important things like how hard is it going to be to put that 440 out of that Imperial a buddy of mine has in it or how much lift I can put under it, or etc....
Thanks for the help.
82 cutlass 455 powered
76 chevy c-10 383ci
05 harley road-glide