Lift springs for the sweptlines?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
YuriOrlav
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Joplin Missouri

Lift springs for the sweptlines?

Post by YuriOrlav »

I seem to recall some one posting that you can use later model lift springs on a swept line, but that they will not be as high as stated. What is the deal with that? How much less lift do you get? Does any one make like a 12" lift spring for dodges?
'71 D200, 305 chevy, 700R4, NP208, 10 bolt front 5.13s and lockright, rear Dana 60 with detroit and 5.13s, 36" hummer tires.

jonx4x4
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Duncan, OK

Re: Lift springs for the sweptlines?

Post by jonx4x4 »

I know this is an old topic, but I got around to measuring my front springs, and compared them to other Dodge front springs, and theyre the same dimensions.

BUT being as that our Power Wagons are so heavy, I can understand a 6" lift spring for a 73-93 truck not netting you as much lift on a Power Wagon. However, you could probably put add-a-leafs in with those lift spring packs, and make it work.

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

My '73 PW was no lighter than my '67.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

jonx4x4
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jonx4x4 »

Okay, well, that might have been an assumption. Also, I thought I read that the 73 3/4-ton's had 4 or 5 leafs in the front pack, but I now read 6. My 3/4-ton has 7, but they could also be thinner. The thickness of leafs is not listed.

dusty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: applegate oregon

Post by dusty »

i have 6 inch skyjackers off a 92 dodge with a cummins only lifted it about and inch under my 66 but they do ride better also moved the rear axle back an inch

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

Not to hijack this post, but I recall learning somewhere that the pre-68 springs are not the same. IIRC, they are not the modern "progressive rate" springs that provide us with such a nice ride over the old style. Dimentionally I believe they are longer than the older springs, and might even be a different width. Can someone here clarify? Thanks. :2cents :thinking :study
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

jonx4x4
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jonx4x4 »

I know my 66's springs measure the same length as the later model springs. One thing I did notice though was that the front eye is upside down. The bushing eye sits under the spring.

I personally think that replacing the main leaf with one that has both of the bushing eyes above the rest of the spring would give atleast 1/2" of lift.

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

I'm running the skyjacker 69-93 8" springs under the front of my '67 powerwagon for roughly 4" of lift (this of course is with the pto winch/200lb bumper and big block sitting over them, so it may be a bit more lift for a different combo...). I initially ordered the superlift '69-'93 5" springs for my truck, but upon receiving them discovered they were the same height as the originals. I have a 2.5" block in the rear, so it sits a little high in the nose, which is how I like it. I'm wondering what the weight of the cummins 6bt is going to do to the front of it when I get that installed :lol: ! The difference in length is found in the rear springs, but they're all the same width. Thus the reason you can't get rear lift springs for a swepty... Its easy enough just to do a shackle flip on the back- I think that gains about 2"... If you're really ambitious just cut and relocate the perches and shackles on the rear to the same length as the newer springs- then you can get whatever you want in rear lift springs.
Attachments
263988661.jpg
'66 Cummins W250 5 spd crew cab long bed
'67 W200 Cummins, never-ending project
'74 Ramcharger Cummins 5 speed
'02 24v quad cab 6 speed dually 4x4

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

I went around on the phone with Sky Jacker and a couple other providers last year on springs for my 71. Several had them listed wrong. The later model springs are the same length and width, but as Dusty mentions, the pin is in a different spot. On my 71 the springs are (trying to remember) 52" long, the pin is centered 26" from either end. The later springs, 72-93ish, are also 82" long, but the pin is 27" from the front and 25" from the rear. Moving the axle an inch back would actually better center the tires in the openings on my 71, but it could cause problems with the drive shaft being slide out an extra inch on the slip joint.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I'm not sure if Rough Country has springs for the older trucks.... but they did help
me out on my '92 W250. Front & back springs.... 4" lift.... no blocks. :Thumbsup
100_0243.jpg
John

WTHETRUCK
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by WTHETRUCK »

I put 4 inch tuff country lift spings on the front of my 66 w100. the springs where listed for 72 thru 93 truck. they where the same length and with as the orginals. there are some things that you have to consider to get the full 4 inches out of the srings. first you have to take the first couple of leafs that are not banded together off of the old springs and add to the new springs. You also have install the springs with spring eyes the same way as the old ones that came out. the new spring may be marked or come with instructions on which way the spring eyes go. But the newer trucks have the shackles in the rear and older trucks have them in the front
Brian
Lexington, GA

48 WDX wrecker
50 B1 PW
58 W100 Town Wagon
66 W100
69 W100
69 D100

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

:goodpost yes,swaping ends will change the caster angle.

Batman426
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Leandro/CA

Post by Batman426 »

Try these guys http://www.alcanspring.com/ I haven't used them but they can make springs for a specific application including type of driving, what kind of accesories u have (bumpers,winches,cummins motor). Hope this helps

CrazyMatt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hayden, Idaho
State: ID

Post by CrazyMatt »

I have seen some of the long bed 100 - 200's with factory springs that have a decent arch to em. On a 4wd they give ~6"

Now if I only had pics of my buddies '70 with 315's on it............. It was taller then my war wagon on 36's by ~3"

Theres a set in the local junk yard too if anyones interested in grabbing em
1970 war wagon on 38's
1968 dodge D300
1987 w150- slant 6 - soon super 6
14 other dodges?
17 tractors - maybe more I have to go recount.....
'55 coe Ih
1980 M35A2
4 coots
Rokon Trailbreaker