Power steering pics.

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Power steering pics.

Post by digdoug »

I finally got a chance to make the rounds with a camera.
Attachments
This is my power assist
This is my power assist
This is my home built fordbox conversion on Rosannas truck
This is my home built fordbox conversion on Rosannas truck
this is my daily  with the d60 front,shortenen chevy link and Prototech box.
this is my daily with the d60 front,shortenen chevy link and Prototech box.

Ruckus
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stevensville, Montana

Re: Power steering pics.

Post by Ruckus »

Is that adjustable drag link a stock part for a 1-ton Chevy? The draglink on my stock 78 Dodge Dana 60f is too long and non-adjustable so I can turn real sharp left but barely turn right. I was going to make it crossover, but just replacing the draglink would be a nice quick fix...
78 W200 crewcab, 68 W200, 59 Willys Wagon, 52 Ford F5 Cabover

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Ruckus wrote:Is that adjustable drag link a stock part for a 1-ton Chevy? The draglink on my stock 78 Dodge Dana 60f is too long and non-adjustable so I can turn real sharp left but barely turn right. I was going to make it crossover, but just replacing the draglink would be a nice quick fix...
Yes it is,except I chopped 1" off of both threaded ends and bored about 1/4'' into both ends of the collar,to shorten it so it would work. I also reamed the steering arm to flip the link topside.My pitmam arm also needed reemed to accept the bigger chevy end. 1 1/2'' per foot ,of course. The 1ton chevy ends seem to be the upgrade of choice , because they are soo herky.
Something like this may solve both problems for you.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dana-60- ... dZViewItem
Doug

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Here is the ram on the power assist.D300 stuff.
Attachments
red steering 2.JPG

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Here is the ford pittman arm on Rosanna's truck. The drag link is stock.The steering box bracket bolts up in the stock holes too.
Attachments
rosannas pitman.JPG

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

What gear box is on the Rosanna's??? is it power steering???????????

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:What gear box is on the Rosanna's??? is it power steering???????????
Robin,
Yes,it's an 80's ford box.Pretty easy on a pre 68 W100/200 ,except the colum.

Its a little simpler on a townie,as you just use a 300 and up,sweptline truck column.
Attachments
pre 68 ps ford.jpg

440SCOUT
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: reno nv
State: NV

Post by 440SCOUT »

digdoug wrote:
MountainMoparRobin wrote:What gear box is on the Rosanna's??? is it power steering???????????
Robin,

Its a little simpler on a townie,as you just use a 300 and up,sweptline truck column.
80S ford what?? truck? 2wd? 4wd? ranger?

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

:clap I like your ideas digdoug :idea
Andy

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

440SCOUT wrote:
digdoug wrote:
Robin,

80S ford what?? truck? 2wd? 4wd? ranger?
80-93 f150-350 trucks and some vans. You can pick these boxes up EASY!,Since most of these trucks are broke. :lol: As for the box,they are strong.

Doug

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

pismopowerwagon wrote::clap I like your ideas digdoug :idea

Thanks, though I must admit that a lot of the steering on Rosanna's truck is based on Steve Beggs'old Prototech system :salut .

Doug

440SCOUT
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 440SCOUT »

Do you have any more info on the column as far as what modifications it would need shorten, lengthen ,different diameter??
i know on chevys of that era there is a difference between 2wd and 4wd steering boxes, is that the same for fords??
also i was thinking about using a 72-74 dodge steering box setup that moves the box out front has this been tried successfully yet?
thanks,doug

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

440SCOUT wrote:Do you have any more info on the column as far as what modifications it would need shorten, lengthen ,different diameter??
i know on chevys of that era there is a difference between 2wd and 4wd steering boxes, is that the same for fords??
also i was thinking about using a 72-74 dodge steering box setup that moves the box out front has this been tried successfully yet?
thanks,doug
On pre 69 sweptlines, the outer column needs 4"cut off and pipe with a 2'' inside diameter piece of pipe added.The steering u joint goes inside this part .

The inner shaft of the colum can be addressed in two ways. The last picture posted shows a ford box and intermediate shaft in the far back.(2x4 and 4x4 are same) In front of that is the modified Sweptline outer column. In front of that is the ford box (with home made mounting bracket) mated to the sweptline inner column.Notice that I spliced the slip joint from the ford intermediate shaft on to the Sweptline inner shaft. The other way would be to just grind the stock shaft to a DD and use an isolator type u joint.

The 72 -74 box up front has been done.Cageman has posted pics recently. You would need to at least move your shock mount behind the axel.This would be a good time to swap in a newer axel ,if you go that route.

Doug

440SCOUT
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 440SCOUT »

actually the truck i have is a 1970 crewcab 2wd. i have newer axles and i noticed the shock thing when i was putting the 440 in about a month ago.
i also have lift springs from my brothers 74 powerwagon.
alot of the catalogs say the springs work back to 1970 but im wondering if that is a typo..i'll just make mounts if they wont work but they look right?? :withstupid
any way thanks for the info..
i'll see if i can find that thread on the 72-74 steering box conversion..

bigbud1313
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Manitoba

Post by bigbud1313 »

I was wondering if you had a picture of the assist cylinder's attatchment to the front suspension and the cross shaft. I got a power steering system with a w100 I bought, but it appears that the end of the assist cylinder may be missing. I' ve been searching for a picture for comparison, but have yet to find a good one. Thanks.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

digdoug wrote:Here is the ram on the power assist.D300 stuff.
This cylinder use to reside on a travco motorhome. I used the stock brackets turned upside down, and made a u bolt to secure it to the axel tube. This isn't a stock w200 setup,but it works.

Doug

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Sorry. It looks like the picture didn't show up,but it is on prevous page. :withstupid

bigbud1313
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Manitoba

Post by bigbud1313 »

I checked the cylinder again, and it appears that the ball joint end was snapped off. The cylinder itself is pretty rough, so on to plan B! Do you know where you could buy the cylinder by itelf? The rest of the system seems to be all there. Thanks again.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Sorry for the late reply. I've been working out of town all week.

Pismopowerwagon is useing a AGR Rock Ram on his W .He has posted some pictures of his ride,and his ps conversion looks really good to me.

Doug

brucer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 59443
State: MT

Post by brucer »

440SCOUT wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:56 am
Do you have any more info on the column as far as what modifications it would need shorten, lengthen ,different diameter??
thanks,doug
I lowered my 66 D-100, bump steer was horrible. So I built a bracket that moved existing box to the front and raised it so draglink was parrell with pitman-steering arm. was going to convert to power steering but 318 poly not drilled for it and no holes to bolt lower pulley as there is no harmonic balancer. Drives straight no bump steer but hard to steer as it rides on 22's I think this Ford box might be a better box to use than the dodge. as you need a steering arm that's straight