Towing a 203 transfer case

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
hotrod

Towing a 203 transfer case

Post by hotrod »

I need to tow my 76 Power Wagon. I will use a tow dolly and have the front wheels on it. Do i need to drop the rear driveshaft or can i just put the transfer case in neutral?
Thanx

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

I'd drop the drive line as I don't think neutral takes it out of full time. Its been a long time since I've had a 203 apart, but I remember the spider gears are always engaged and "lock" locks the spiders up. Neutral just just disconnects the gear box from the chain case.

Don

Falcon62

Post by Falcon62 »

This is a little off topic.

My 78 Chevy truck has the 203 transfer case. Does that mean that my 78 Dodge W150 uses the same 203 transfer? Any differences that you can think about?

jawz

203 info

Post by jawz »

I never tow my Blazer with a 203 unless the tires are ALL off the ground. Or you can remove a drive line :2cents But take some advice and remove the driveline safely! I pulled mine out while in gear and not blocked off AND on a little hill. ( My old trucks could be driven around with the front driveline removed) The result was a spooky expeirence of the truck rolling down hill with me underneith. Only got the leg! And I believe that the only difference between the dodge and chevy is the side the output is on