Dana 44 Ball Joint rebuild question(s)

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
rboddy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Dana 44 Ball Joint rebuild question(s)

Post by rboddy »

Looks like I need to rebuild the upper & lower ball joints on my 65 W200. I have the Service Manual and it looks pretty straight forward but thought I'd ask a couple of questions here.

1. Is it as straight forward as the book makes it seem?

2. Parts. NAPA seems like they have what I need, but I don't want to get everything apart and find out something has to be ordered because it wasn't what I(they) thought it was. :banghead Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for the Help!
Mark

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Mark,
A 65 W200 would have bearings,not ball joints,unless a 72 or later front has been transplanted.

I think these guys have the parts.

http://quad4x4.com/

http://vintagepowerwagons.com/products/ ... -parts.htm

Doug

injunjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by injunjoe »

I rebuilt the dana 44 on the front of my 68 w-200 It had tapered roller bearings on the lowers and bronze cones on the uppers,I got the bronze cones from vintage power wagons.The roller bearings I got at napa.The upper bronzes came in two types one goes on a splined pin and one goes on a keyed pin.I had to buy a new steering arm for my truck because the splines were wasted.Let me know if you need one I also bought a good used one.The key is getting the shims setup right for bearing load.My 68 steers like it has power steering and runs smooth flat out (60mph slant 6 4:88s).good luck.Joe :study

rboddy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Post by rboddy »

Thanks for the replies guys! As you can tell I know enough to be dangeorous but I'm learning as I go.

I'd sure like to hear more about getting the "shims setup for bearing load" and I'm definitely interested in the steering arm as mines pretty well shot.

Mark

injunjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by injunjoe »

Mark,I sent you a pm,Joe