steering problem with my 1969 w200

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
bryan

steering problem with my 1969 w200

Post by bryan »

I have a newly acquired w-200 four wheel drive. Is it normal to experience difficult steering when it is in 4 wheel drive high...it takes both arms to make a wide turn almost to the point of impossible. Is their any suggestions with replacement parts to make it easier to steer such as new lock out hubs, etc?

Please reply!

michael

Post by michael »

Have any modifications to the front end been done? Body lift?

bryan

steering problem with w-200

Post by bryan »

No, I have no modifications. The truck is very original with no mods. whatsoever.

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

Bryan,

Are having difficulty off road with your steering? Or is it doing this on the pavement? If this is on the pavement your steering will be difficult and the rig will jump and buck while going through all manner of contortions. :lol: Not really recommended. :shame
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

If you have wide tires the steering is going to be hard, at least it was on both my 67 and 69 W100s. There's not much you can do about it other than add power steering. There's several posts here on the forum with pictures of how some others have done it. Like Russ already said, you should never drive it in four wheel drive on pavement.
1969 Adventurer W100

Ruckus
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stevensville, Montana

Re: steering problem with my 1969 w200

Post by Ruckus »

Yes, narrow tires are like adding power steering, and you might check for a front locker which would make steering in 4x4 nearly impossible.
78 W200 crewcab, 68 W200, 59 Willys Wagon, 52 Ford F5 Cabover