Was there a short wheel base W300?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Foddie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Saskatchewan, albert
State: Foreign

Was there a short wheel base W300?

Post by Foddie »

I'm wondering if there was a short wheel base / short box W300 ever made? I have a W300 crew cab and would like to put a short box on it. I know not many came with beds on them (according to the forum). I have to shorten the frame on the truck as it is due to the previous owner stretching it, so if I could shorten it to fit a short bed, that would be cool. If so how long was the bed and would anyone know the wheel base? Let me know what you think? Reference to Aaron Arnold's W300 at this link....http://www.sweptline.com/hist/bigtrucks.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn
State: CA

Post by PowerMan »

I believe the only W300's that ever had shortbeds were the crew cabs with a stepside, or flat bed. The single cabs only had a 8 or 9 ft. bed (stepside).

Power Man
1962 W100 - NV4500- LU2 winch Looking for a 4BT!
1965 W200 CC 12 Valve P-Pump, HX35/S475, 5x12s, pushrods, 60# springs, 55 DVs, NV4500
1965 D100-> W100 Town Wagon 225 Slant - NP435

FredM
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by FredM »

wb on a 300 is 133" or 159" although I have not seen a W-crew with a 159" wb not saying there aren't any
my 70 D-300 crew has a 159" wb with a 8' sterside

the W-300s with 133"wb have 9" stepside or flatbed

the short step sides are 6'

hope that helps some
ENJOY LIFE, --- It's the longest thing anyone ever does-- --

When seconds count, Help is only minutes away-----------------

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Are you planning on putting a Utiline(step side) bed on it? The 1 tons never came with a Sweptline(wide) bed. The frames are flat and you need to do some modifying to get them to fit. I guess you are going to do some modifying if you are going to shorten it.

The truck you referenced above seems to be an odd one. Dodge would make whatever you wanted back in those days. Custom frame lengths on 1 ton trucks or larger wouldn't be that unusual. According to the information below there were no factory built 1 ton W series crew cabs. Starting in 69 you could get a 2 wheel drive version with a 159" wheelbase. That would be a long step side bed if it had a bed at all.
That is what makes your truck so rare. It may not be a factory built truck, however, Dodge started building factory crew cabs in 62. They were short bed 3/4 tons with a 146" wheelbase.

What does your VIN plate list as the wheelbase? Also do you have any pictures of the truck yet?

http://www.sweptline.com/hist/prod_info.html

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ottawa, Ontario
State: Foreign

Re: Was there a short wheel base W300?

Post by reallylongnickname »

moved post.