How Rare is a 1970 Fargo W300 Crew Cab?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Foddie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Saskatchewan, albert
State: Foreign

How Rare is a 1970 Fargo W300 Crew Cab?

Post by Foddie »

Recently found a 1970 Fargo W300 (4x4) crew cab. I haven't seen it yet, but the guy says it has very little rust. What areas on these trucks are prone to rust? If the body is as good as he says, what's it worth? It's a 318 (not sure if poly) 4 speed with 4:88 gears with twin stick transfer case. He says glass is good, all emblems are there, floors are good, seats just recovered, but needs tires (road worthy except for tires). It doesn't have a box and the frame has been stretched (camper on back). It shouldn't be too hard to shorten back to stock again. What are the chances of finding a bed in decent shape and how much? If one can't be found what else would work. I have a 12 valve Cummins 5 speed to put in it. Anyone know of anyone who's performed this conversion before? How hard would power steering be to put in this style of truck? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. You guys on these forums are god sends. We all have a passion and some peole just don't get it. You guys do!!! Thanks everyone.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Cool rig! Far as rust, look on the door steps, the front floorboards, rockers, the area immediately behind the tire in the front wheelwell along the cab seam, in the cowl area, and along the tops of the fenders. You can find rust nearly anywhere on these trucks, but these are the most prone. I'm sure others will chime in!

Cummins conversion? There are several on this forum and on Norm's site that have done exactly that! And a W300 is the ideal platform, IMO.

Hope it's what you're looking for, and welcome!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

That would be a very rare truck. Can't wait to see pictures of it.

These trucks tend to rust in many areas like 66Patrick mentioned. The most common areas for rust are the floors and the rocker panels. Both of these areas have aftermarket panels available. Just because of the rarity of this vehicle, I would fix/replace any rusted areas with whatever I needed.

Beds can be found fairly cheap. Some people will give away beds or sell them for a couple hundred. Was it originally a long bed or short bed?

OK, I just read that it has a twin stick transfer case. The last year for those was 68. Is this truck made from a bunch of different trucks or is the year wrong? Was it converted to 4 wheel drive at a later time?

If it is made from a bunch of parts thrown together, it wouldn't be worth as much as an original truck. You should get the VIN and find out exactly what you have before you decide what it is worth.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

The only factory pickup bed put on the 300s was a 9'utiline. I have to agree about checking the VIN# with the Sweptline Regestory to see at least what the data plate is from.It sounds like you have a 70 cab on a earlier truck.If it is a Fargo W300 it is a rare truck! Does it have 6,or 8lug wheels?

Doug

Foddie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Foddie »

Thanks for the info guys,
I may have jumped the gun on the twin stick transfer, I ASSUMED it was. Sorry, I'll confirm this today. From what you guys are saying, it probably isn't. Sorry fellas. I will also confirm if there are 6 or 8 lugs on the wheels. I ASSUME there should be 8 if it's original. I'm not sure if it was a long or short bed either. I'll try and get the VIN to confirm. How hard are parts to get for say brakes or a windshield? I've read there are disk brake conversions available. Probably money well spent, thoughts? Any thoughts on price? The guy wants $3500. Too much? Thanks again for all of your support. Keep the info and the advice coming. I would love to hear alot more!!!!

Oh, and just for the record, POWER WAGONS ARE THE TOUGHEST TRUCKS ON THE PLANET!!!!

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

digdoug wrote:The only factory pickup bed put on the 300s was a 9'utiline.
Doug
Yeah, I was thinking W200 for some reason. Finding a 9' bed is going to be difficult. Chances are it may not have had a bed from the beginning.

Finding a windshield will be easy. You can get one from pretty much any glass shop.

I don't know about brake parts but I hear drums are very hard to find. There is a disk brake conversion or 2 for 1/2 and 3/4 tons. I don't know if they are available for 4 wheel drives though. I also don't know if they would work on 1 tons.

The early 1 ton trucks had 6 lug axles(M and WMs had 5) and I believe they went to 8 lugs in 1969.

Foddie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Foddie »

Confirmed it's a single stick transfer case and it has 8 lug wheels. (me with egg on my face)I'm working on getting the vin and pictures. I'll keep you guys posted. Keep the info coming. What is Norm's site called? Sorry I'm new here. What would be a good replacement rim for this truck. I'd like the old look without the split rim. I assume they're 16 inch, corrrect? Hopefully ones that will fit the 11.00x16 Michelin XLs. Are these a fairly good tire? Recommendations on tires and rims? Thanks again fellas!!!

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

http://www.dodgesweptline.org/
:Thumbsup Click on the truck of the week picture to see lots of purty trucks!

Doug