differencials gears/Power Wagons 4x4

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Johns67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ashland
State: MT

differencials gears/Power Wagons 4x4

Post by Johns67 »

Did Dodge ever put a front differencial with a 409 gear on the front and a 410 gear on the back diff. on their 4x4's??? It appears everyone talks about the front and rear being the same gear?
johns67-a junk yard man told me it was in his books.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Yep :Thumbsup
John

Johns67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

differencial gears/Power Wagon 4x4

Post by Johns67 »

Wow! cause I was afraid to say that is what I put into my 1967 D-200 -318cid,like 18 years ago. I think I had a 488 in the rear when I bought the truck and it really reved the engine to just go 55 mph's. By the way, what is suppose to be in it stock for a rear diff.? Also how do you count the teeth on the gears to figure out the size? I mean, I know how to count, what is the method? Ha ha!!
johs67-just keep adding one to the next number.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

The more popular ratios for a '67 D200 were the 3:54
& 4.10. Yeah.... 4.88's are pretty steep for the
road. I'm running 4.88's in my '68 Popwer Wagon and
I'm turning about 3000rpm @ 55mph. Is there a ratio
tag bolted to the differential cover on your axle?
If not, you can [safely] jack up the rear axle with
the truck in neutral [chock the wheel!].... mark
the tire and spin the driveshaft. If you spin the
shaft 4.1 revolutions when the tire mark turns one
full revolution.... you have a 4.10 gear set :Thumbsup
John

Johns67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

rear differencials

Post by Johns67 »

All right I'll check that method. I would of put anything into it to make it go faster and to have 4 wheel drive. I just hate getting stuck in the mud. So now how do you check for posi-traction? They don't always both turn at the same time and I'm not talking about turning. I was watching my son drive and he was spinning out in 4x4 and one front wheel was turning and only one back.
johns67-no tags on diffs.

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn
State: CA

Post by PowerMan »

Yes, my '62 W100 has 4.09 Dana 44 in the front and a 4.10 Dana 60 in the back. I don't know much about the posi set up.

Power Man
1962 W100 - NV4500- LU2 winch Looking for a 4BT!
1965 W200 CC 12 Valve P-Pump, HX35/S475, 5x12s, pushrods, 60# springs, 55 DVs, NV4500
1965 D100-> W100 Town Wagon 225 Slant - NP435

frankyb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: differencials gears/Power Wagons 4x4

Post by frankyb »

Hey Johns67,

Your son may have "open" diffs. as opposed to "limited slip" differentials.

POSI is a Chevy or GM term for limited slip.
Mopar uses the term "Sure-Grip" for limited slip.

Limited slip (Posi or Sure-Grip) does not mean lockers though!!

The wheel with the most traction gets the power.

The difference between an open differential and a limited slip differential becomes apparent when the wheels must turn at a different rate (around a curve) or when there is a significant traction difference between the two wheels. Under these circumstances, the differential case continues to rotate in both types of differentials. However, in an open differential, the axles are no longer willing to be rotated at the same rate. The gears within the differential case then begin to rotate, so that as the differential case rotates, the axles turn at different rates. In the extreme case, only one axle turns at all. The limited slip differential puts a limit on how much differential is allowed to exist between the rotation of the two axles. Around a curve, the LSD should function as an open differential, allowing differential rates of rotation. However, at some pre-set limit (the "load" of the LSD), the clutches begin to bind, and force the axles to rotate together along with the differential case.

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

I had heard the reason the front was .01 smaller than the rear was to make turning smoother.

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

nfury8 wrote:I had heard the reason the front was .01 smaller than the rear was to make turning smoother.
I don't believe that's true at all. Some models go the other way with the gearing. IMHO it is because (1) you aren't supposed to use it except when there is slippage so it doesn't have to be exactly the same and (2) They are different size axles (44 versus 60 in this case) and this is the closest the manufacturer could come with those gear cases. I think that's the reason some gear sets go the other way. It really doesn't matter if they were the same because of differences in tire size, air pressure and making a turn would negate them being exact anyway. Just my opinion.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

CrazyMatt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hayden, Idaho
State: ID

Re: differencial gears/Power Wagon 4x4

Post by CrazyMatt »

Johns67 wrote:Wow! cause I was afraid to say that is what I put into my 1967 D-200 -318cid,like 18 years ago. I think I had a 488 in the rear when I bought the truck and it really reved the engine to just go 55 mph's. By the way, what is suppose to be in it stock for a rear diff.? Also how do you count the teeth on the gears to figure out the size? I mean, I know how to count, what is the method? Ha ha!!
johs67-just keep adding one to the next number.

Id love to have 4:88's instead of 4:10's lol
1970 war wagon on 38's
1968 dodge D300
1987 w150- slant 6 - soon super 6
14 other dodges?
17 tractors - maybe more I have to go recount.....
'55 coe Ih
1980 M35A2
4 coots
Rokon Trailbreaker

powertothepdub
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by powertothepdub »

My 67 w200 has 4.88s and doesnt do to bad on the interstate but you must remember these trucks were not built to be highway cruisers they were made for pulling stumps and such :lol:

FredM
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by FredM »

4.09 front -4.10 rear
front is turing a hair faster, which enables you to turn a corner on slick roads kind a helps to pull you around

if the same or the rear is faster you would be pushed straight instead of turning.

thats how the gear guy splained it to me years ago :lol:

try 5.86's if you want slow, got a set of 70's that were in my pickup---slow 50 wound out
ENJOY LIFE, --- It's the longest thing anyone ever does-- --

When seconds count, Help is only minutes away-----------------

PazzoW200

Post by PazzoW200 »

Hey guys, I'm a newbie.

I have a 70 W200 and the transfer case shifter has 4 notches on the handle, but moves to only 2 positions. I believe the handle is stock, but I dread to think the transfer case is malfunctioning. BTW the front hubs are open (2WD). Any ideas?

Thanks
Lucius

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

PazzoW200 wrote:Hey guys, I'm a newbie.

I have a 70 W200 and the transfer case shifter has 4 notches on the handle, but moves to only 2 positions. I believe the handle is stock, but I dread to think the transfer case is malfunctioning. BTW the front hubs are open (2WD). Any ideas?

Thanks
Lucius
If you have a live front axle, it sounds like has flanges instead of lockouts. Is it a closed knuckle DANA 44 front
axle? You might want to get underneath and look at the linkages for your transfer case to see if everything
looks to be in order. If it is the stock t-case, it is the NP205. What two positions is it presently moving between?
John :welcome