disc brakes

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Kincaid

disc brakes

Post by Kincaid »

I have been told that the best and most economical way to get disc brakes for my 67 w200 is to find a new front end off a 75 or later model. I was wondering if this is the best, and cheapest way to do it?

ducman

disc brakes

Post by ducman »

I have a '66 that has been converted. The Dana front axle will take knuckles and disc's off a later model (mid 70s) Chev which are cheaper, and use a larger rotor. A mid 70's Dodge master cyl, and booster works as well. My only other hangup has been the proportoning valve. I have too much pressure to the rears and hardly none to the fronts. I think an adjustable valve should do the trick unless anyone else has a part # for one that will work.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

disc

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

I don't think that is the best or cheapest, but I think outside the box.
The guys that have put the good disc brakes on their trucks have welded the upper A arm on the existing frame and made their own mount on the cross member for the lower control arm!

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

hey robin, your in the 4x4 section bro. aint no upper and lower a-arms on a 4x4 front end! :lol: :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

LABBINSKI
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

DIFF SWAP

Post by LABBINSKI »

I JUST DID A DISC BRAKE CONVERSION ON MY 70 PW AND USED A 84 FRONT DIFF FROM A RAMCHARGER IT TOOK SOME DOING BUT IS JUST FINE I ALSO USED THE PROPORTIONING VALVE FROM THE SAME VEHICLE YOU WILL HAVE TO REFLARE THE LINES BUT IT TAKES TIME I ALSO USED THE SAME DRUM BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER AND DID NOT AND HAVE NOT ENCOUNTERED LOCKUP PROBLEMS OR PULLING PROBLEMS YOU CAN USE THE DRAGLINK ASSEMBLY FROM A SUBURBAN BUT YOU HAVE TO CUT DOWN THE TIE RODS TO THE PROPER LENGTH TO MAKE IT WORK I HAVE A W100 HOPE THIS HELPS LABBINSKI

cruxmon

Post by cruxmon »

If your 67W200 has a Dana 44 front axle, you might consider what I did...Rotors from a 78-87 GM 3/4 ton 4x4 (new)... Calipers from a 71-78 GM 3/4 ton 4x4 (junkyard)...hubs custom machined...brakelines NAPA 4136759 and 4136760. Since I also installed rear disc brakes, I mounted a proportioning valve in the cab and used a dual diaphragm master cylinder from a 76 Chevy C-30 PU. This front disc conversion did not cost very much. Surely cheaper than the cost and labor of an axle swap. To see pics of this conversion, you can go to photo gallery (readers rides)and click on 63 W100 SWB. Luck!

restopaul
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by restopaul »

Ray at a company called Helitool has developed a lot of disc brake conversions. So far nothing for my large knuckle Dana 44 though. His web site is /www.uglytruckling.com ......Paul

Kincaid

disc brakes

Post by Kincaid »

Since my truck has the large knuckle fron diff, what would be the easiest, and most friendly to my wallet, method of putting disc brakes on the truck. I have a 67 w200 and drums are giving me all kinds of problems

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

What is the probem you are having with your brakes? Mine were lousy for years on one of my trucks,until the last time I did a break job I finaly noticed one of my backing plates had grooves worn into them where the shoes rest.I changed out that backing plate and totaly rebuilt my front brakes,including new drums.now it stops good and straight. :Thumbsup :2cents