This area is for open discussion about anything..."KEEP IT CLEAN"
DaltonSparks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Borger
State: TX

Re: Dodge 2 ton truck

Post by DaltonSparks »

Made the push pin and it has worked so far. I noticed I need to replace more wheel cylinders but I went to take it around the block and once I use the brakes they won't release the pressure and lock up the rear end.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:57 pm
PTO off the 435 trans. Crane is a 1969 Hiab Speedloader.
I am no PTO geek.

On the truck I am building I have a dual output Braden PTO (output shaft comes out both front and rear) mounted on my NP201. The plan is to run both the winch and the hydraulic pump that runs the dump bed with the same PTO, thus "free wheeling" the pump when I'm using the winch.

I also have an NP205 with a Spicer PTO on it that was on my '69 W200. It was therefore mounted on the drivers' side with the shaft going toward the rear of the truck. It drove the same hydraulic pump. The 205 looks like it uses the same bolt pattern as is the one on the trans. Does that mean it is the same mechanical interface? The trans PTO plate is on the passenger side, while the 205 and the 201 are on the driver's side. Can one mount the Spicer PTO upside down on the trans and thus reverse the shaft output direction from front to rear?

To take advantage of that extra PTO, I would have to do some fabrication work to mount the hydraulic pump on the passenger's side of the frame (a day or two of fabrication and painting), but it would allow me to have two PTOs on the truck, one driving the winch only with the Spicer PTO on the trans driving the pump instead of using the same PTO on the t-case for driving both (what I have built).

Thoughts?
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

Wildergarten wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:27 am
dodgeboykim wrote:
I am no PTO geek.

On the truck I am building I have a dual output Braden PTO (output shaft comes out both front and rear) mounted on my NP201. The plan is to run both the winch and the hydraulic pump that runs the dump bed with the same PTO, thus "free wheeling" the pump when I'm using the winch.

I also have an NP205 with a Spicer PTO on it that was on my '69 W200. It was therefore mounted on the drivers' side with the shaft going toward the rear of the truck. It drove the same hydraulic pump. The 205 looks like it uses the same bolt pattern as is the one on the trans. Does that mean it is the same mechanical interface? The trans PTO plate is on the passenger side, while the 205 and the 201 are on the driver's side. Can one mount the Spicer PTO upside down on the trans and thus reverse the shaft output direction from front to rear?

To take advantage of that extra PTO, I would have to do some fabrication work to mount the hydraulic pump on the passenger's side of the frame (a day or two of fabrication and painting), but it would allow me to have two PTOs on the truck, one driving the winch only with the Spicer PTO on the trans driving the pump instead of using the same PTO on the t-case for driving both (what I have built).

Thoughts?
Yes the bolt pattern is the same from the 435 to the 205 along with many other transmissions. No, the PTO’s are not interchangeable unless the gear in the PTO is changed to match the trans or transfer case you are putting it on.
Also, if you use a two gear housing the rotation would be reversed.

That PTO for the 205 is not an easy part to find!
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Wildergarten wrote:
dodgeboykim wrote:
I am no PTO geek.

Thoughts?
Hijack the thread!

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:49 am
Wildergarten wrote:
dodgeboykim wrote:
I am no PTO geek.

Thoughts?
Hijack the thread!
It will bolt on. Turning it upside down may not work or possibly allow PTO to oil correctly. 435 PTO Drive Gear may not be correct for 205.

Dont forget to make sure rotation is correct for Hydraulic Pump.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Hijack the thread!
Well then next time I'll be sure to ask the almighty PwrWgnDrvr for permission to ask a question.
Or he could use his divine wisdom to get it back on track (as opposed to taking it even farther off). :shame
AFIK, the only threads on this site that are 'property' are Member Build Threads.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:12 pm
Dont forget to make sure rotation is correct for Hydraulic Pump.
It's a Williams inline cam piston pump with circular cams. So I doubt the direction really matters, but I'll ask their engineers. They're very good about getting back to customers.

Thanks
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Wildergarten wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:49 pm
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Hijack the thread!
Well then next time I'll be sure to ask the almighty PwrWgnDrvr for permission to ask a question.
Or he could use his divine wisdom to get it back on track (as opposed to taking it even farther off). :shame
AFIK, the only threads on this site that are 'property' are Member Build Threads.
Its common decency not to hijack someone's thread. As a newbie to the forum, it appears you don't know or understand that. Particularly in this thread, Dalton mentioned a problem with his brakes and you not only ignored his post, you blew him off, then launched into another of your long winded posts about yourself, WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC TITLE "Dodge 2 ton truck".

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

DaltonSparks wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:36 am
Made the push pin and it has worked so far. I noticed I need to replace more wheel cylinders but I went to take it around the block and once I use the brakes they won't release the pressure and lock up the rear end.
Check all the rubber hoses in the system. The rubber line from frame to rear end has likely swollen up internally and fluid can't get through it except under high pressure. That is a common problem with old rubber brake hoses. Also the ones to the front wheels will do that. The only fix is replacement with new.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls

Post by 712edf »

Yes, rubber hoses can look fine on outside but inner walls be deteriorated.

Also, there could be a mechanical issue causing the brakes to not release fully.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

DaltonSparks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DaltonSparks »

It's all good, I just didn't see anything about trucks just pick ups and also wanted a place to kind of document what I was doing. If I could get some help and possibly help someone else that would be even better.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls

Post by 712edf »

That's the thing about 2 ton & larger, they didn't come with pick up beds. They had flat beds, grain beds, service beds, stake beds, wrecker, dump beds etc. Probably left the factory as simple cab & chassis.

Some of the drivetrain (engine/transmission) was same as light duty trucks. Same for maybe hood, doors, glass.

But springs, axles, frames, fenders, cab floors & other parts were different.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

DaltonSparks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DaltonSparks »

I went and got my second D500, it's a 62 with a 1965 318 poly and has a dump bed. I'll be looking into a hydroboost system for that 70 and if it works out I'll do the same for that 62 and I'll sale the 2 hydrovac boosters for cheap if anyone is interested.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

DaltonSparks wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:57 pm
I went and got my second D500, it's a 62 with a 1965 318 poly and has a dump bed. I'll be looking into a hydroboost system for that 70 and if it works out I'll do the same for that 62 and I'll sale the 2 hydrovac boosters for cheap if anyone is interested.
Tell us more about the hydro-boost system you plan to use.
I have never heard of one on a dodge, but it is interesting.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

DaltonSparks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DaltonSparks »

Well I don't honestly know. It seems simple enough to install though. Get a hydroboost unit, mark it up on the fire wall, cut/ weld what needs to be to make the pedal work and connect the brake lines. Now I am gonna have to get a bracket and ps pump but that's no biggie. I'll attempt it on my 70 d500 first, not in the best of shape but if it works well I'll do the same to my 62 as well.

DaltonSparks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DaltonSparks »

I will post pics and keep things updated on this forum as I go I just have more time than money so it may be a bit.