jimharold
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chelan
State: WA

How to transport a Utiline bed?

Post by jimharold »

Hey All,

Scored me a Utiline short bed. Just the bed as I love step sides. After some repairs and a paint job I'll swap out the Sweptline bed on my 68' D100. It looks like setting it down on the fender bottoms will bend them up. Or is it correct to flip it over onto the bed rails for transport? Found it on a weekend motorcycle ride on the Washington BDR. Out in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you for any suggestions,
Jimharold
Here is my 68'.
Here is my 68'.

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Re: How to transport a Utiline bed?

Post by nutz »

flip it over will be fine
those things are built to last

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

jimharold wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:29 pm
Hey All,

Scored me a Utiline short bed. Just the bed as I love step sides. After some repairs and a paint job I'll swap out the Sweptline bed on my 68' D100. It looks like setting it down on the fender bottoms will bend them up. Or is it correct to flip it over onto the bed rails for transport? Found it on a weekend motorcycle ride on the Washington BDR. Out in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you for any suggestions,
Jimharold

parade2 2016.jpg
If you plan to restore the bed anyway you could take it apart to transport it. It would take up less space.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Takes HOURS to disassemble an old bed with rust welded fasteners! Not a simple task out in the field.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

It’s just an option.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Upside down. Ive transported more than one box that way. Can be done sitting on top of a pickup box with a couple boards with stop blocks to stop shifting when tied down. :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Flip it upside down an make sure you put two or three 2x4s for it to rest on, and that will keep it off both the Utiline fenders and the Swepty bedrails. Strap it to your satisfaction and roll!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Seanreisk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Orofino
State: ID

Post by Seanreisk »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:16 am
Takes HOURS to disassemble an old bed with rust welded fasteners! Not a simple task out in the field.
Quoted for truth. I've taken apart three Utiline beds now, and they do not come apart gracefully. The metal trim that runs along the left-and-right floor of the bed is terrible, but the worst are the frisbee flanged screws and non-nuts that hold on the fenders on. I've had such a hard time with rusted frisbee screws that if I start to strip one I get a box of cheap Harbor Freight Phillips screw-tips and tack weld that screw-tip onto the bolt. For me that's simpler, and less damaging, than trying to drill and chisel the bolt head off.

I don't know what Dodge made their fasteners out of, but when they're rusted no amount of PB Blaster is going to make those nuts see reason.

Moving a bed in one piece is fine, but all of my beds have either needed new wood in the floor, the tail gate straightened, or new body strips put on the fenders, so I have to take them apart anyway.

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

rusted bolts....heat ,heat or more heat
old trick get the nut /bolt glowing then melt a candle on it ..then heat again